+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bellamy on his Cardiff culture shock

Re: Bellamy on his Cardiff culture shock

What we do know:
    - Bellamy may not have won a lot of silverware, but he is fiercely competitive and has high expectations.
    - In his coaching role at Cardiff City, his treatment of players has been questioned by some. He has expressed regret at how things turned out and claims to have toned things down.
    - Contrary to popular belief, he is not a Cardiff fan (his boyhood club was Liverpool), but he does care about the club.
    - If he were to become manager, he would look to make widespread changes, which most of us are in favour of.

What we don’t know is whether he would be a success at Cardiff City. You can’t speculate based on trophies won - most of the successful managers weren’t that successful as players.

I would rather have Craig Bellamy and he didn't work out than persevere with this mundane mediocrity.

You can replace Bellamy with any other potentially bright young person . We are stagnating . The football is awful. There is no feeling of a positive, forward thinking organisation. My money would be on Craig Bellamy being a breath of fresh air . He wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea but that is the way in life.
    Pepe Guardiola demands the best from his players, his style is accepted because he is good at his job.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    Is it relevant ?
    It's always puzzled me why people think Bellamy would or will make a good manager. I'm just looking for clues as, to me at least, nothing in his background or what we know for certain about him has ever suggested that he'd be likely to be a good choice for a club at this level.

It’s funny how some see Bellers drive and diligence as a negative. I think the club needs a good kick up the arse and he’s the perfect fit. The fans would love it, the committed players would rise to the occasion and the slackers would be out the door.

It’s bound to happen at some point, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    It's always puzzled me why people think Bellamy would or will make a good manager. I'm just looking for clues as, to me at least, nothing in his background or what we know for certain about him has ever suggested that he'd be likely to be a good choice for a club at this level.
    Its because he's an ex player and an easy pick. Lots of clubs have had managers/coaches who have played for the club at some point. Better the devil you know and all that. Its just football circles i guess and as fans we get a bit lazy and love a bit of nostalgia with cult heroes returning to the club. (i saw someone suggest graham kavanagh as manager a few months back!!)
    Eddie Howe had a fantastic journey with Bournemouth after playing for them for many years in the lower leagues, maybe he wouldn't he have had that particular managerial chance had they not known him however there are many many clubs where it dosn't work out. Risk clubs take I guess.

I'm on the fence with this Bellamy talk. Like all managers, they have to start somewhere but it just dosn't feel quite right for me. I think he'd be a Roy Keane type manager, constantly having a go and bellowing at the players. But also maybe that's what the team needs perhaps? Tricky one.

Whatever happens for sure though it can't go on like it is. The boardroom worries me more than the manager and whoever comes in - if Neil Harris were to depart I just fear it'll be the same old story kicking the can down the road.

199 Bore has answered your question.

Because Craig Bellamy has been slightly controversial there will always be those for and those against.

The youth team he managed at Cardiff did particularly well , playing good football by all accounts .
    I wonder what the people with more knowledge of the youth set up think of that statement ?

Neil Warnock through him under the bus , he saw him as a threat . That's a fact .

For this club to move forward properly instead of stumbling along, rudderless like we have for years, we need a proper set up. Focus on youth, stop wasting huge amounts like Warnock and co have done. Problem is it might take a step backwards to get going and play decent football....Tan won’t take that risk, so we continue to stumble along blindly into the abyss with the vain hope someone might take us to promotion again....

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I think Bellamy would be more suited to a coaching role under someone with more experience and better people skills. I wonder what Bellamy thought of Whitts as a pro. My guess would be that it probably drove him mad that Whitts didn't try harder.
    I agree , Bellamy as a manager will need good support staff around him . There are examples , as good as Brian Clough was , he needed Peter Taylor to help him .
    Liverpool had their infamous boot room and even Ferguson changed assistants every couple of years to keep things fresh.

It is clear that the club is in a rut and needs significant change. The team is stale and appears to lack motivation. Maybe that’s down to the players not respecting Neil Harris.
    The Cardiff City Phone In was very interesting on this - particularly what Peter Bradbury had to say on the players’ desire.
    Each manager the club appoints is part of the journey, not a destination and what Bellamy would offer is the impetus to press the reset button and make real change across the club.
    Comparing him to Roy Keane is unfair, just because he was at times a hothead on the pitch. It doesn’t automatically follow that he would be an idiot manager. You could just as well use Diego Simeone as a tough guy who became a manager and hasn’t done too badly.

The answer for me is to appoint a Director of Football who drives the change and they would then have a hand in appointing a new manager, if required. Maybe Bellamy would be an interesting proposition for that role.

The Championship with City. A Scottish Cup with Celtic. I think he came on as a late sub when Liverpool won the Champions League. Apart from that, not sure if he won anything else?
    I think this “what did he win “ subject is unfair as he suffered bad knee injuries throughout his career that may have contributed to him maybe not playing as well and moving on so much.There are plenty of players who have winners medals but you wouldn’t class as being good just in the right place at the right time , Djimi Traore at Liverpool who was a Champion League winner instantly comes to mind !!

My initial thought was that Bellamy would be a dreadful appointment. He is a volatile character who is more than likely to upset those who come into contact with him.. However, given that there are no obvious alternatives to Harris, Bellamy has a number of things going for him; he is passionate, is likely to be a good motivator, has a winning attitude, has a good football pedigree, has a passion for Cardiff City, hopefully will have matured since he was last at the club and has gained experience with a good club in Belgium.

If there was a choice between Harris or Bellamy then Bellamy would win hands down.

Quote Originally Posted by Monster munch View Post
    Its because he's an ex player and an easy pick. Lots of clubs have had managers/coaches who have played for the club at some point. Better the devil you know and all that. Its just football circles i guess and as fans we get a bit lazy and love a bit of nostalgia with cult heroes returning to the club. (i saw someone suggest graham kavanagh as manager a few months back!!)
    Eddie Howe had a fantastic journey with Bournemouth after playing for them for many years in the lower leagues, maybe he wouldn't he have had that particular managerial chance had they not known him however there are many many clubs where it dosn't work out. Risk clubs take I guess.

I'm on the fence with this Bellamy talk. Like all managers, they have to start somewhere but it just dosn't feel quite right for me. I think he'd be a Roy Keane type manager, constantly having a go and bellowing at the players. But also maybe that's what the team needs perhaps? Tricky one.

Whatever happens for sure though it can't go on like it is. The boardroom worries me more than the manager and whoever comes in - if Neil Harris were to depart I just fear it'll be the same old story kicking the can down the road.
    He is not a easy pick because he played for us like Kavanagh, He is someone who since retiring has worked extensively in coaching, completing numerous certifications, getting experience at youth level and gone over to Belgium to coach under Kompany with Anderlecht. He is a young, passionate managerial prospect for any club.

We also have the added benefit of having ties with him and he is a very passionate Welshman, and to a lot of people that means something.

He could not have gone about his learning process any better really, even turning down the Cardiff job previously because he correctly thought the timing was wrong. To me he shows a good work ethic and a ever growing maturity.

Ex fan favourite player is the only manager type we haven't tried yet isn't it?

Feck it, give him the job. It'll be interesting if nothing else

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Ex fan favourite player is the only manager type we haven't tried yet isn't it?

Feck it, give him the job. It'll be interesting if nothing else
    I've given my thoughts in this thread, but sod it, i'm with you. Give it a whirl, why not? It's so boring and shit at the moment, at least he would fire things up a bit, press conferences would be interesting and he may attract a certain kind of young player, but most of all i reckon that he'd be brave. It does come to something though when i'm longing for an entertaining press conference

In the pre season after our first premier league relegation,I took my son and his friend to watch a training session. Afterwards, when the boys went to get autographs, Craig Noone was on his phone, he gestured to them that he would see them after his call. On seeing one of the boys had Bellamy on his shirt, he said that was who he had been on the phone to. I asked what he was doing at present. Noone said that he was travelling all over Europe to various clubs to gain an education to eventually become a manager-he didn't believe he could, or should just walk in to a job. I think that this is a good attitude, and also a great grounding for someone who wishes to go in to management.
    When Bellamy stepped down from the Under 18's following the bullying allegations, a player I know said that the intensity and quality of the training sessions immediately dropped off. They still managed to win the league(I think) but this was largely down to the work put in earlier in the season. He also said that Bellamy was a great coach and motivator. Bellamy was also a great advocate for a few of his Under 18's to be involved with the first team,this was constantly knocked back by Warnock. If he does become a manger somewhere, surely he would be prepared himself to give young players a chance?
    Now, I know that his coaching/management experience so far has been at a lower level, but I would be more than happy for City to take a chance on him. He's put the leg work in, is keen to learn, from what it seems is a very good coach, it looks like he would give youth a chance and would surely command the respect of current players.
    That is what I know of his background, and I think the positives far outweigh the negatives. The fact that he is currently talking to the VFTN might be calculated to put himself in the minds of the club and supporters, and I would be more than happy for the club to make him our next manager.

People (on this board at least) continually talk about Craig Bellamy as a winner who demands the highest possible standards from those around him. So what did he actually win as a player?
    At his peak (let’s say 27-30) he was the best Welsh player of his generation (Giggs is 6/7 years older)... I don’t think you achieve that without being a ‘winner’.

Evidently some on here don’t approve of what they think his leadership style will be, but in my opinion that’s a position based on pure speculation, as is someone’s who thinks his leadership style would be appropriate.

My personal opinion isn’t based on his misdemeanors or his achievements, it’s based on what I see, hear and read about his thoughts on the game. It’s those things that would make me intrigued to see how he did. What’s the worst that could happen.... Russell Slade kept us competitive FFS.

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    At his peak (let’s say 27-30) he was the best Welsh player of his generation (Giggs is 6/7 years older)... I don’t think you achieve that without being a ‘winner’.

Evidently some on here don’t approve of what they think his leadership style will be, but in my opinion that’s a position based on pure speculation, as is someone’s who thinks his leadership style would be appropriate.

My personal opinion isn’t based on his misdemeanors or his achievements, it’s based on what I see, hear and read about his thoughts on the game. It’s those things that would make me intrigued to see how he did. What’s the worst that could happen.... Russell Slade kept us competitive FFS.
    Brought back fond memories.

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post

'Intrigued' is a good word to use. I think that the majority of City fans would at least feel that way. It's a route that we've never gone down, and lets face it, we done most of them!

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    'Intrigued' is a good word to use. I think that the majority of City fans would at least feel that way. It's a route that we've never gone down, and lets face it, we done most of them!
    How about Joey Barton ?

That would get the keyboards rattling....

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Foxton View Post
    In the pre season after our first premier league relegation,I took my son and his friend to watch a training session. Afterwards, when the boys went to get autographs, Craig Noone was on his phone, he gestured to them that he would see them after his call. On seeing one of the boys had Bellamy on his shirt, he said that was who he had been on the phone to. I asked what he was doing at present. Noone said that he was travelling all over Europe to various clubs to gain an education to eventually become a manager-he didn't believe he could, or should just walk in to a job. I think that this is a good attitude, and also a great grounding for someone who wishes to go in to management.
    When Bellamy stepped down from the Under 18's following the bullying allegations, a player I know said that the intensity and quality of the training sessions immediately dropped off. They still managed to win the league(I think) but this was largely down to the work put in earlier in the season. He also said that Bellamy was a great coach and motivator. Bellamy was also a great advocate for a few of his Under 18's to be involved with the first team,this was constantly knocked back by Warnock. If he does become a manger somewhere, surely he would be prepared himself to give young players a chance?
    Now, I know that his coaching/management experience so far has been at a lower level, but I would be more than happy for City to take a chance on him. He's put the leg work in, is keen to learn, from what it seems is a very good coach, it looks like he would give youth a chance and would surely command the respect of current players.
    That is what I know of his background, and I think the positives far outweigh the negatives. The fact that he is currently talking to the VFTN might be calculated to put himself in the minds of the club and supporters, and I would be more than happy for the club to make him our next manager.
    Interesting.

Ticks all the boxes in my eyes, What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    How about Joey Barton ?

That would get the keyboards rattling....
    Why not I'm at the point where i'll take any form of entertainment, such is the tedium on the pitch.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Why not I'm at the point where i'll take any form of entertainment, such is the tedium on the pitch.
    Get Joey Barton and Bellamy in but tell them both separately that they're the manager and that the other one's the assistant manager

I'm sold let's get him in.

.. or Kompany - feok Anderlecht they're no bigger than us.