+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Joe Day to Bristol Rovers on loan

Joe Day to Bristol Rovers on loan

https://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/news...bristol-rovers

Cardiff City FC can confirm that goalkeeper Joe Day has joined Bristol Rovers on loan.

The 30-year-old's loan deal at the League One side will run until 30th June 2021.

We'd like to wish Joe all the best while at the Memorial Stadium.

Joe's loan switch follows today's return of Aden Flint and Tom Sang from their loan spells at Sheffield Wednesday and Cheltenham Town respectively

https://www.bristolrovers.co.uk/news...joe-day-signs/

Re: Joe Day to Bristol Rovers on loan

Give Sang the 90 v Forest.

Let's be honest, it's a right old juggling act, trying to keep the wage bill under Uncle Vincent's limits.

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    Let's be honest, it's a right old juggling act, trying to keep the wage bill under Uncle Vincent's limits.
    Yep. There are far more difficult ones to get off the books.

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    They're not just his limits.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    https://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/news...bristol-rovers

Cardiff City FC can confirm that goalkeeper Joe Day has joined Bristol Rovers on loan.

The 30-year-old's loan deal at the League One side will run until 30th June 2021.

We'd like to wish Joe all the best while at the Memorial Stadium.

Joe's loan switch follows today's return of Aden Flint and Tom Sang from their loan spells at Sheffield Wednesday and Cheltenham Town respectively

https://www.bristolrovers.co.uk/news...joe-day-signs/
    Another Super buy by Warnock!😂

Won't see him no more.

Quote Originally Posted by Ianto13 View Post
    Another Super buy by Warnock!��
    Agreed, didn't we treble his weekly wage from £2k to £6k......to come in as 3rd choice behind two very good, established keepers? That's one I'd definitely question the "transfer committee" on. Surely you have an academy keeper as your 3rd choice between the sticks.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnojek View Post
    Agreed, didn't we treble his weekly wage from £2k to £6k......to come in as 3rd choice behind two very good, established keepers? That's one I'd definitely question the "transfer committee" on. Surely you have an academy keeper as your 3rd choice between the sticks.
    I guess the plan was to offload Smithies, but then Etheridge did his hamstring in the first game of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    I guess the plan was to offload Smithies, but then Etheridge did his hamstring in the first game of the season.
    Warnock came out and said that he fully expected us to sell one of Smithies or Etheridge (hence why Smithies wasn't even on the bench at Wigan) but after Etheridge's injury he pulled the plug.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Warnock came out and said that he fully expected us to sell one of Smithies or Etheridge (hence why Smithies wasn't even on the bench at Wigan) but after Etheridge's injury he pulled the plug.
    Fair enough, didn't realise that

Quote Originally Posted by Gnojek View Post
    Yes, he came from Newport for treble his wages, £1500 basic at County I was told by a good source. And then, as stated above, it looked liker Smithies was to be offloaded (another expensive Warnock signing). I think the only played part of that first game, went on loan to Wimbledon last January and hasn't had a look in here. I feel sorry for the player, he obviously came here with high hopes and it hasn't worked out for him. And then we signed Phillips so the writing was on the wall.

I expect we are funding a large part of his wages with Rovers paying the rest, which is as good as we can expect right now. He needs games to impress club to take him in the summer.

I watched him playing for County in a few of their big cup games and he looked decent.

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    Yes, he came from Newport for treble his wages, £1500 basic at County I was told by a good source. And then, as stated above, it looked liker Smithies was to be offloaded (another expensive Warnock signing). I think the only played part of that first game, went on loan to Wimbledon last January and hasn't had a look in here. I feel sorry for the player, he obviously came here with high hopes and it hasn't worked out for him. And then we signed Phillips so the writing was on the wall.

I expect we are funding a large part of his wages with Rovers paying the rest, which is as good as we can expect right now. He needs games to impress club to take him in the summer.
    There were 3 or 4 clubs in for Day, they'll be paying the majority if not all of his wage.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    Spot on .

I seem top remember we had to move quickly so the club may have been close to losing Neil and then jumped for Day Cwnty first teamer was likely to be a bit more expensive in wages .

Quote Originally Posted by tomcat View Post
    I watched him playing for County in a few of their big cup games and he looked decent.

it looked liker Smithies was to be offloaded (another expensive Warnock signing).
    How you can criticise Warnock for signing Smithies is beyond me!

Quote Originally Posted by cityhammer View Post
    How you can criticise Warnock for signing Smithies is beyond me!
    Because he paid £3.5m, then had him sat on the bench for a whole season and then looked to offload him summer 2019. All for £3.5m and a suspect £30k per week wages. He only came back in when Etheridge was injured last season. I have always liked Smithies when he was with Huddersfield and QPR and he was good last season, but decidedly average this season. I preferred Etheridge but one of them had to go.

Because he paid £3.5m, then had him sat on the bench for a whole season and then looked to offload him summer 2019. All for £3.5m and a suspect £30k per week wages. He only came back in when Etheridge was injured last season. I have always liked Smithies when he was with Huddersfield and QPR and he was good last season, but decidedly average this season. I preferred Etheridge but one of them had to go.
    We were going into the premier league with Brian Murphy as our backup goalkeeper, we needed someone who could step in if Etheridge got injured and could also put pressure on him for his place, Smithies was widely regarded as one of the best in the league at that point (and probably still is today), £3.5m is a relatively modest fee for a premier league club to pay and Smithies has gone on to serve the club very well. An excellent signing.

We had to sign a keeper in the PL and that's cheap. Smithies has had a bit of a drop off this year but that's going to happen, he's only human and let's be honest, who has played anywhere near their best, with the exception of Kieffer Moore.

Quote Originally Posted by Swbluebird View Post
    We were going into the premier league with Brian Murphy as our backup goalkeeper, we needed someone who could step in if Etheridge got injured and could also put pressure on him for his place, Smithies was widely regarded as one of the best in the league at that point (and probably still is today), £3.5m is a relatively modest fee for a premier league club to pay and Smithies has gone on to serve the club very well. An excellent signing.
    Is the correct answer. Plenty to criticise Warnock for but signing Smithies is not one of them.

started well then