+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: All elite sport cancelled for 6 weeks? - Debate

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

All elite sport cancelled for 6 weeks? - Debate

If not. Why not?
    Discuss and justify.
    Allowing football to continue in a lockdown is just absurd.

Re: All elite sport cancelled for 6 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysAway2 View Post
    If not. Why not?
    Discuss and justify.
    I think its hard to justify playing football / rugby when kids doing exams cant get the education they need.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    I think its hard to justify playing football / rugby when kids doing exams cant get the education they need.
    Why? the two are completely unrelated.

The continuation of professional football and other professional sports has many blatantly obvious benefits. For instance, if millions of people are sat at home watching sport on TV, they are not out and about elsewhere seeking entertainment.

Calling a halt to professional sport that is being played in controlled environments would achieve next to nothing in terms of stopping the spread of the virus, but it would cause significant damage to the economy, it would cost tens of thousands of people their jobs and it would negatively affect the morale and the mental wellbeing of millions of people.

International

I think its hard to justify playing football / rugby when kids not doing exams cant get the education they need.
    Corrected for you.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Corrected for you.
    Fair enough. Looks like the assessments are under review now as well.

National morale and all that. Also, if they scrap the Leagues, it will cost a fortune in unfulfilled contracts.
    To be honest, bar the occasional problems, it seems to be working okay.
    I honestly thought that half the players would be off sick by now, but that's not been the case.

If not. Why not?
    Discuss and justify.
    If they're locked down and tested twice week, then I don't see why they shouldn't play.

You just come down on anyone that breaches the restrictions like a ton of bricks.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    If they're locked down and tested twice week, then I don't see why they shouldn't play.

You just come down on anyone that breaches the restrictions like a ton of bricks.
    I agree with this. If there's a regular testing regime in place then you carry on.

Those posting on their social media accounts that they are in parties etc should be shot out of a cannon.

I agree with this. Plus a skeleton staff. There's no need for stadium announcers etc. And meaningful fines for players caught breaking the rules.

Theres pros and cons.

I think they could and maybe should suspend the season and restart sometime in March.

Theres pros and cons.

I think they could and maybe should suspend the season and restart sometime in March.
    There's no space to replay the games. If the whole country is locked down, it makes the footballers safer unless they themselves break the rules.

If not. Why not?
    Discuss and justify.
    There's loads of people still working during lockdown though - construction, tv production, plumbers, carpenters, factory workers etc. It's not like the whole country is locked down and it's only key workers and footballers at work

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    There's loads of people still working during lockdown though - construction, tv production, plumbers, carpenters, factory workers etc. It's not like the whole country is locked down and it's only key workers and footballers at work
    Exactly, I only know of a handful who aren’t working most days

If Nick is correct, at least our injured player (apart from Vassell) will have recovered fitness.

We need to be careful what we wish for, some folks lifes are very lonely during these tough, ,perhaps a sport that delivers comfort in a relevantly safe environment is fine .

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    We need to be careful what we wish for, some folks lifes are very lonely during these tough, ,perhaps a sport that delivers comfort in a relevantly safe environment is fine .

The England Cricket Team have just landed in Sri Lanka. All tested negative on departure. Moeen Ali has now tested positive on arrival.

Im still looking forward to the series. But im not sure they should have gone. Hope they comtain it and noone else becomes ill.

It's so serious this Covid 19 that elite sport can continue.
    Total jucking foke
    Its either dangerous or it isnt.
    Grow up Boris.

It's so serious this Covid 19 that elite sport can continue.
    Total jucking foke
    Its either dangerous or it isnt.
    Grow up Boris.
    If contained its not a problem. Elite sport is containing it by regular testing etc.

Quote Originally Posted by cityhammer View Post
    If contained its not a problem. Elite sport is containing it by regular testing etc.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55540397

40 cases per 2300 tests.

That's a higher rate than the worst areas in Britain.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Paget Flashman View Post
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55540397

40 cases per 2300 tests.

1 in 50 people has COVID according to Whitty. That's about the same as in the PL. They're just being tested, so the asymptotic cases are confirmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Paget Flashman View Post
    40 cases per 2300 tests.

I guess the significance of that figure would need to be viewed in relation to where the positive cases were actually identified. If they were evenly spread throughout the 20 clubs it would be a considerable concern, but I suspect that's not the case.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    I guess the significance of that figure would need to be viewed in relation to where the positive cases were actually identified. If they were evenly spread throughout the 20 clubs it would be a considerable concern, but I suspect that's not the case.
    No idea - saw it on the BBC website and didn't read the full article.

Quite. They seem to have got it working quite well and as posted elsewhere, I think that the government is keen to keep football going as it means so much to so many people.