+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: All elite sport cancelled for 6 weeks? - Debate

Re: All elite sport cancelled for 6 weeks? - Debate

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    That's not confirmed by the way but that's what I'm expecting.
    Ok no worries.

Rescheduled Olympics in 2021 as well.

Wonder if that will go ahead.

Haven't a number of games been called off because of covid outbreaks ?

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    4 Premiership games in total, which you know because you watch every game on Sky.

40 positive cases this week though https://www.skysports.com/football/n...league-testing - they might yet make a big decision on this if it keeps going up

Yes.

There isnt just the issue of containing the virus here theres also the fact that elite sport and its not just football relies on medical services which we are told is at breaking point due to the virus.

Of course sport gives people a boost. I cant wait to see some test cricket for starters.

It no doubt lifts people good for morale mental health. Its a difficult one.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    There isnt just the issue of containing the virus here theres also the fact that elite sport and its not just football relies on medical services which we are told is at breaking point due to the virus.
    Which medical services are elite sportspeople relying on that are at breaking point?

Yes.

Of course sport gives people a boost. I cant wait to see some test cricket for starters.

It no doubt lifts people good for morale mental health. Its a difficult one.
    It does but so does walking , going down the gym , in my case fishing , some people even before covid would spend a Saturday night around friends houses sharing a takeaway etc

Its a right pisser all round but football should not be free from a lockdown if science deems it necessary

What happens if this new strain of covid kills a 35 year old linesman that he picks up officiating ? In the dressing room for example

What do we say to his family ?

Hard luck but a load of gut buckets with sky want the game next week played

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Which medical services are elite sportspeople relying on that are at breaking point?
    The NHS?

The virus has put a knock on strain on all services

If a Premier league football mate of yours is involved in an accident he's taken to accident and emergency like everybody else

Air Ambulance Doctors if involved in a car crash ?

Ambulance services for starters.

Im not sure what provision for injury for example at every racecourse in the country is but the service is there due to the high risk of injury.

The Cheltenham Festival is coming in March. They have an air ambulance at the course with the medical staff needed. Paramedics etc.

Boxing which has itself taken upon itself to suspend has provision in place for emergency at a nearby hospital plus medical staff in attendance. The event wouldnt take place without guarantee of a hospital taking a serious injury.

What happens if this new strain of covid kills a 35 year old linesman that he picks up officiating ? In the dressing room for example

What do we say to his family ?

Hard luck but a load of gut buckets with sky want the game next week played
    There's valid reasons for thinking football should be stopped but come on, you could say this about any place of work anywhere right now, he's not being forced to go there. And if your reply is he's there because he needs the money, he won't be earning that money if football gets stopped, I'm pretty sure linesmen don't get furloughed

International

Re: All elite sport cancelled for 6 weeks.

I think its hard to justify playing football / rugby when kids not doing exams cant get the education they need.
    Corrected for you.

International

I have my moments

The thing is if we agree that this virus is spread by human contact then 22 blokes running around a field or 30 in the case of rugby is clearly a case of social mixing , from different backgrounds

Now football gives a lot of pleasure to people but far more people go fishing , which is a socially distanced activity and that also gives people a lot of pleasure

But we are reaching the money shot here now with the virus , we have a vaccine , its time to get stuck into it .

Will football be stopped ? I hope not

But if it is , it is
    You cannot put playing professional football and fushing opposite each other. One fishing is a passtime that you don't need to od, the other is employment which people do to earn money to keep themselves and their families. Ther is no comparison.

The same goes for your comment about the linesman in another post. Why is a linesman catching covid and dying and different to a bricklayer or a bus driver catching covid and dying? He is at work, it is what people do. He isn't doing it for relaxation like anglers fish, he is earning a living.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Corrected for you.
    Fair enough. Looks like the assessments are under review now as well.

Quote Originally Posted by cityhammer View Post
    If contained its not a problem. Elite sport is containing it by regular testing etc.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55540397

40 cases per 2300 tests.

That's a higher rate than the worst areas in Britain.

Ambulance services for starters.
    Fair enough. If you genuinely believe elite professional sportsmen and women are placing some sort of a strain on the country's medical services at this time, then I guess nothing anyone says is likely to change your mind.

I'm not accusing you of this at all as your contributions are always reasonable, but it's blatantly obvious that some people are actively willing the shutdown of professional sport once more. I can't get my head around that at all. It's as if certain individuals desperately want everyone to be continually miserable during what is a really difficult period in our lives. It's very odd indeed.

I'm pretty sure if professional sport does begin to place a strain on the NHS, the government will quickly shut it down. It'll be yet another sad day for many millions of sports fans if that happens, but no doubt some of us will be delighted.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Paget Flashman View Post
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55540397

40 cases per 2300 tests.

1 in 50 people has COVID according to Whitty. That's about the same as in the PL. They're just being tested, so the asymptotic cases are confirmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Paget Flashman View Post
    40 cases per 2300 tests.

I guess the significance of that figure would need to be viewed in relation to where the positive cases were actually identified. If they were evenly spread throughout the 20 clubs it would be a considerable concern, but I suspect that's not the case.

I guess the significance of that figure would need to be viewed in relation to where the positive cases were actually identified. If they were evenly spread throughout the 20 clubs it would be a considerable concern, but I suspect that's not the case.
    No idea - saw it on the BBC website and didn't read the full article.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    You cannot put playing professional football and fushing opposite each other. One fishing is a passtime that you don't need to od, the other is employment which people do to earn money to keep themselves and their families. Ther is no comparison.

The same goes for your comment about the linesman in another post. Why is a linesman catching covid and dying and different to a bricklayer or a bus driver catching covid and dying? He is at work, it is what people do. He isn't doing it for relaxation like anglers fish, he is earning a living.
    Well people say they want to watch football on sky to help them keep mentally healthy . People also say they need to go down the gym , go swimming or go fishing to stay mentally healthy.

Premier league footballers are on huge wages , they will be paid whether they play or not and I am sure their agents have clauses which ensure their families are having food on the table .

If anything I am bothered about players from Rochdale or Gillingham , not the ones at the top on big money that everyone seems so keen to watch on sky .

Essential workers like hospital porters , nurses , care workers , police officers , doctors , supermarket workers etc are who concern me , if we are told football needs a break due to this more savage wave of the virus then I would hope anyone with a brain would understand .

Fair enough. If you genuinely believe elite professional sportsmen and women are placing some sort of a strain on the country's medical services at this time, then I guess nothing anyone says is likely to change your mind.

I'm not accusing you of this at all as your contributions are always reasonable, but it's blatantly obvious that some people are actively willing the shutdown of professional sport once more. I can't get my head around that at all. It's as if certain individuals desperately want everyone to be continually miserable during what is a really difficult period in our lives. It's very odd indeed.

I'm pretty sure if professional sport does begin to place a strain on the NHS, the government will quickly shut it down. It'll be yet another sad day for many millions of sports fans if that happens, but no doubt some of us will be delighted.
    Its a difficult period in everybody's lives

Especially those who are dying

But clearly you know more than the doctors and scientists so I would like to propose you run the country .

Well people say they want to watch football on sky to help them keep mentally healthy . People also say they need to go down the gym , go swimming or go fishing to stay mentally healthy.

Premier league footballers are on huge wages , they will be paid whether they play or not and I am sure their agents have clauses which ensure their families are having food on the table .

If anything I am bothered about players from Rochdale or Gillingham , not the ones at the top on big money that everyone seems so keen to watch on sky .

Essential workers like hospital porters , nurses , care workers , police officers , doctors , supermarket workers etc are who concern me , if we are told football needs a break due to this more savage wave of the virus then I would hope anyone with a brain would understand .
    Football was closed down if you recall and the large majority on here were completely understanding. In fact, there could be an argument based on having a few hundred fans at games, massive social distancing in and around the ground, afterall, most of us on here love watching live sport, yet there hasn't been a murmur, not an ounce of protest, because people understand the reasons why we can't watch games, in the same way they'd understand if football was put on hold for a period of time due to the rise in cases.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Football was closed down if you recall and the large majority on here were completely understanding. In fact, there could be an argument based on having a few hundred fans at games, massive social distancing in and around the ground, afterall, most of us on here love watching live sport, yet there hasn't been a murmur, not an ounce of protest, because people understand the reasons why we can't watch games, in the same way they'd understand if football was put on hold for a period of time due to the rise in cases.
    The situation here though is that it has been mooted that football could have a six week break , as have other industries , to break the back of this virus .

There has been plenty of moans and groans on here from people who say they cannot do without their football fix . Well I am sorry I have to do without my fishing , people who enjoy working out down the gym can't do it and people who have loved ones dying in care homes are unable to see them .

At the moment people can watch certain matches on TV although the only football I would watch on TV would involve Cardiff City . And thats not possible .

As annoying as it might be football getting suspended again is not really the end of the world .

We are fighting a global pandemic , we are all going to have to get used to a rough few months again . It ain't fun but if the medical people and scientists deem it advisable that football is shut down then I would like to know what arguments and expertise certain people have to disagree with that .

The situation here though is that it has been mooted that football could have a six week break , as have other industries , to break the back of this virus .

There has been plenty of moans and groans on here from people who say they cannot do without their football fix . Well I am sorry I have to do without my fishing , people who enjoy working out down the gym can't do it and people who have loved ones dying in care homes are unable to see them .

At the moment people can watch certain matches on TV although the only football I would watch on TV would involve Cardiff City . And thats not possible .

As annoying as it might be football getting suspended again is not really the end of the world .

We are fighting a global pandemic , we are all going to have to get used to a rough few months again . It ain't fun but if the medical people and scientists deem it advisable that football is shut down then I would like to know what arguments and expertise certain people have to disagree with that .
    I don't think that people would moan and groan or argue that much if football was closed down, the same as they didn't last time, as long as the reasoning and evidence suggests it is necessary. I looks to me that you're looking for a problem that doesn't really exist. The large majority of people have been compliant with covid rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I don't think that people would moan and groan or argue that much if football was closed down, the same as they didn't last time, as long as the reasoning and evidence suggests it is necessary. I looks to me that you're looking for a problem that doesn't really exist. The large majority of people have been compliant with covid rules.
    well the thread was started by a cardiff city fan who goes to far more games than me . I am simply agreeing that if football is suspended then that's the way it is . It wasn't very long ago posters on here were slagging off the Welsh government for locking down the country and before that the same people were saying these restrictions made no sense . They know who they are .