+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many of you are staying at home?

How many of you are staying at home?

I don't mean being naughty or breaking the rules. England has now announced a lockdown, joining Wales and Scotland in doing so at different time. When the original lockdown it was a full stop, bar key workers. Now it's "if you can't work from home"

So my question how many of your working lives change from travel ban to firebreak to lockdown?

I'll go first - not at all in terms of being allowed to work. I work in the tv industry and we've put protocols in place such as testing, 2m supervisors, sanitation, fogging etc as well as changing certain elements of our working patterns so regardless of what state the nation is in, for now, we go to work.

We know about hospitality/leisre/shops etc but how many of you are "locked down" in terms of your employment, and how many are carrying on, albeit perhaps with a slightly different way of working?

Re: How many of you are staying at home?

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    I don't mean being naughty or breaking the rules. England has now announced a lockdown, joining Wales and Scotland in doing so at different time. When the original lockdown it was a full stop, bar key workers. Now it's "if you can't work from home"

So my question how many of your working lives change from travel ban to firebreak to lockdown?

I'll go first - not at all in terms of being allowed to work. I work in the tv industry and we've put protocols in place such as testing, 2m supervisors, sanitation, fogging etc as well as changing certain elements of our working patterns so regardless of what state the nation is in, for now, we go to work.

We know about hospitality/leisre/shops etc but how many of you are "locked down" in terms of your employment, and how many are carrying on, albeit perhaps with a slightly different way of working?
    I haven't been to the office since last March. Doing my 'desk job' from home.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Same here virtually. I've been in about 4 times since March.

Unfortunately when you work in psychiatric health care like myself you have no option but to go to work

I’ve only had 3 weeks off since last March. When you work with psychiatric patients it is impossible to socially distance and every day it’s dangerous and risky.

Whilst I will never complain about going to work each day because it’s a job I love and chose to do and I fully understand the risks involved

However, I do get so pissed off with people who moan and groan and whine about going to work in the relatively risk free environment of an office or factory and jump at the chance to be furloughed. Glad I’m not in the trenches with them!!!

Worked from home since the week before Boris announced the first lockdown on 23 March.
    Shielded from the start due to a medical condition. I've been in a supermarket once and eaten out twice since then. Also dont think I've bought anything using cash since last March. Been out for some walks and bike rides in that time and cant see myself changing anything until I have a second dose of the vaccine.
    I'm lucky enough to have a wife who does all the shopping, whilst still working 3 1/2 days a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Poolerblue View Post
    Unfortunately when you work in psychiatric health care like myself you have no option but to go to work

I’ve only had 3 weeks off since last March. When you work with psychiatric patients it is impossible to socially distance and every day it’s dangerous and risky.

Whilst I will never complain about going to work each day because it’s a job I love and chose to do and I fully understand the risks involved

However, I do get so pissed off with people who moan and groan and whine about going to work in the relatively risk free environment of an office or factory and jump at the chance to be furloughed. Glad I’m not in the trenches with them!!!
    Do you work in a secure unit pooler ?

Very claustrophobic environment at the best of times

Out patient psychiatric care ? Just a weekly phonecall lol

Self employed and worked from home a lot prior to all this anyway. The one element of the business that has taken a real kicking has been leaflet/ magazine delivery. No jobs from Mach until August, then 6 at once in November/ December. Back to none again now until probably March. Concentrating more on social media management and advertising again now.

I've been working in the office throughout the lockdown. I had weeks off at the start of November and the second week of December, but apart from that I've been in the office pretty much every day.

Back in mid-March, there were approximately 35 to 45 of us in the office each day depending on leave, part-time arrangements, etc. From 23rd March until the end of April I was either on my own or there were two or three of us. Since May, it's usually been anywhere between three members of staff up to a maximum of eight.

Last week I was on my own on Tuesday, there were three of us on Wednesday and two of us on Thursday. Today there were five of us.

The various changes to the rules haven't made any difference at all since the initial lockdown. The numbers in the office have fluctuated according to the requirements of individuals and their teams, but they have never got above eight and the different lockdown stages haven't changed things at all. The environment in our office is about as safe as it could be in the current circumstances and we could comfortably accommodate sixteen staff on any given day, but we've never needed anywhere near that number.

Same here.

I am in a fortunate position in that I am retired, so this latest lockdown will have very little impact on us as we have effectively remained in the March 2020 lockdown situation i.e. only going essential shopping once a week, late in the evening. Other than visiting the other couple who are in our bubble (in the next village 2 miles away) we only go out for exercise, typically walking around the village.

We haven't seen either of our sons or their families since Christmas 2019 as they live 110 miles and 170 miles away from us respectively. My youngest son is a secondary school teacher and has recently contracted COVID, presumably from school. He passed it on to his wife and the three children and they are now just coming up to the end of their 14 days isolation. The kids didn't suffer too much but his wife is not too good at all.

My last job when I was working I could easily have done from home as it was office based. In fact I would have been more productive at home as I was able to show in my last but one job.

Sludge it’s a Semi secure unit mate..until the latest lockdown they were all allowed out but virtually all of them were accompanied by staff.

Whilst I would say none of them are particularly violent, most of them are difficult to control at times.

The main problem is that they just don’t understand the importance of social distancing and the need to wear masks etc. When they are being difficult they need to be physically restrained at times. Obviously unmasked patients screaming into your face from about 6 inches away is dangerous at he best of times but even more so now

Like I said I keep going in every day because I love the job and I think i do actually make a small difference to some people lives and help these vulnerable adults and this makes it all worthwhile. If some of these patients were released into the community they would cause all sorts of problems.

Hence the reason I have no time for people who whine, complain and moan about going into a fairly risk free office or factory or similar places of work each day

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    I am in a fortunate position in that I am retired, so this latest lockdown will have very little impact on us as we have effectively remained in the March 2020 lockdown situation i.e. only going essential shopping once a week, late in the evening. Other than visiting the other couple who are in our bubble (in the next village 2 miles away) we only go out for exercise, typically walking around the village.

We haven't seen either of our sons or their families since Christmas 2019 as they live 110 miles and 170 miles away from us respectively. My youngest son is a secondary school teacher and has recently contracted COVID, presumably from school. He passed it on to his wife and the three children and they are now just coming up to the end of their 14 days isolation. The kids didn't suffer too much but his wife is not too good at all.

My last job when I was working I could easily have done from home as it was office based. In fact I would have been more productive at home as I was able to show in my last but one job.
    Hi Gofer, genuine question just wondering why you haven’t seen either of your sons/grandkids in over a year?

Are you/them shielding or just a personal choice due to safety risks etc??

Either way that must have been a hugely difficult decision for you to take?

Sludge it’s a Semi secure unit mate..until the latest lockdown they were all allowed out but virtually all of them were accompanied by staff.

Whilst I would say none of them are particularly violent, most of them are difficult to control at times.

The main problem is that they just don’t understand the importance of social distancing and the need to wear masks etc. When they are being difficult they need to be physically restrained at times. Obviously unmasked patients screaming into your face from about 6 inches away is dangerous at he best of times but even more so now

Like I said I keep going in every day because I love the job and I think i do actually make a small difference to some people lives and help these vulnerable adults and this makes it all worthwhile. If some of these patients were released into the community they would cause all sorts of problems.

Hence the reason I have no time for people who whine, complain and moan about going into a fairly risk free office or factory or similar places of work each day
    I could never work in an environment like hafan y coed , Llandough

Dreadful place

Like The Shining in there

Since the march lockdown last year I can honestly say I've never broken any Covid rules that were set at the time. Don't go out much beyond teaching in school a couple of days a week and shopping - once for the family and once for my mother in law. I've lost money that I would have earned from self employment. I'm studying part time for a masters and I'm glad I can do that remotely.

Prior to pubs being locked down, I had a few trips to pubs. Miss that but there are more important things. With hindsight, haven't missed going to watch the City that much.

Haven't seen my dad for 18 months now as he lives in Scotland. Managed to see my sister and her family for a couple of days in the summer when restrictions were low. Miss seeing my close friends, video chats are nice but not the real thing. I can cope with them.

I am hugely pleased that I am unable to see my sisters . Its a source of great personal pleasure in a sea of white horses .

I've been going to work since the first lockdown last year as a key worker.

Thankfulky I'm not able to work from home.

Yes I'm knackered but appreciate getting out of the house each day and being able to mix with others is not a bad thing

These isolated lonely times must be very tough for a lot of folk who are on thier own , I do feel for them as it can't be easy lockdown for such long periods of time, it is not natural to lose normal social contact and interface with others .

Work and supermarkets only at the moment.

Might climb Penyfan on the weekend.

WFH for years now and was last in the office on March 2nd so no difference for me.

We have been told that we are not expected back, if at all, until Sept.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post

Wrap up , its quite chilly up there at the moment.

Working as normal (other than being super careful) . Everyone still in, we are a service industry , some parts of our organisation could be described as key workers delivering goods to hospitals etc.
    I tried getting the office staff to work from home but it didn't fit.
    We are trying to be careful and make sure those coming onto our premises and where we are delivering, are careful.
    We are responsible for each other and to those we go home to.

Hi Gofer, genuine question just wondering why you haven’t seen either of your sons/grandkids in over a year?

Are you/them shielding or just a personal choice due to safety risks etc??

Either way that must have been a hugely difficult decision for you to take?
    Yes, very difficult. We are both in our early seventies (well wife is almost 70) so are in a high risk category to start with. My wife has some breathing difficulties and if even if she just gets a cold then that often leads to a chest infection and even more difficulty with breathing.

One family is in England so that complicates the picture a bit (e.g. those travel restrictions from time to time). Neither family are shielding but the bottom line is that they are concerned for us, that they may unwittingly pass on the virus and so it is by the (regrettable) mutual decision that we do not meet face to face for the time being. We do lots of ZOOM meetings which helps but there is no substitute for hugs and kisses is there! July next year will be our Golden Wedding anniversary so we are hoping that we will have a grand get-together then and make up for all the lost time!

Do you live right next to it or are the rules in Wales different to that in England?
    "If you do leave home for a permitted reason, you should always stay local in the village, town, or part of the city where you live."
    I do a lot of walking myself but I'm having to re-think where I do it.

Do you live right next to it or are the rules in Wales different to that in England?
    "If you do leave home for a permitted reason, you should always stay local in the village, town, or part of the city where you live."
    I dont think he was being serious (I hope not anyway).
    Parking is a nightmare there at the moment so maybe go at a quieter time.

Oh dear , a severe wooshing....

Wink Re: How many of you are staying at home?

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    Yes, very difficult. We are both in our early seventies (well wife is almost 70) so are in a high risk category to start with. My wife has some breathing difficulties and if even if she just gets a cold then that often leads to a chest infection and even more difficulty with breathing.

One family is in England so that complicates the picture a bit (e.g. those travel restrictions from time to time). Neither family are shielding but the bottom line is that they are concerned for us, that they may unwittingly pass on the virus and so it is by the (regrettable) mutual decision that we do not meet face to face for the time being. We do lots of ZOOM meetings which helps but there is no substitute for hugs and kisses is there! July next year will be our Golden Wedding anniversary so we are hoping that we will have a grand get-together then and make up for all the lost time!
    Must be tough on you both not sure my wife would have the willpower...In fact I know she wouldn’t!!!!

Stay safe, and hopefully better times ahead for you all

P.s is a Golden Wedding Anniversary cause for a celebration