+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Our Midfield - Transfer Window

Our Midfield - Transfer Window

I was watching a few snippets on You Tube of some of our more recent PL games and saw that we had Arter, Camarasa and Gunnarson in midfield. No wonder watching the current batch of Vaulks, Pack and Ralls makes for difficult viewing at times.

If NH is going to be given any cash or wheel and deal in the current transfer window, he has to try to bolster the midfield with players who are comfortable on the ball and can pass accurately. In my day and age blah blah blah..........yes I know I'm an oldie but whilst not quite 10 a penny, ball players like Bobby Woodruff, Ian Gibson, Leslie Lea were frequently available. And more recently Gary O'Neill and Jason Koumas if course.

I thought that NH had a good transfer window last time around but has been severely handicapped by injuries. Let's hope he is now able to address an area of weakness in the team that has been evident for some time.

Re: Our Midfield - Transfer Window

But are the players the problem ot is it down to NH tactics?

Quote Originally Posted by Rhiwbina Blues View Post
    I'd say it's about ability and we lack quality in midfield and have so for a while , gosh and to think folk used to moan about Gunnerson

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    I'd say it's about ability and we lack quality in midfield and have so for a while , gosh and to think folk used to moan about Gunnerson
    Our entire midfield is simply not good enough. They're not comfortable with the ball at their feet, they're too static when not in possession, they are all one-paced and none of them can drive forward with the ball into empty space - they are so pedestrian that they inevitably invite contact.
    I see a number of posters on here saying that Ralls is a decent Championship midfielder, he's not. He's too frenetic and doesn't possess a good footballing brain.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhiwbina Blues View Post
    For me, all four of our midfield players are good enough to get into a ,lot of Championship teams, but the blend is all wrong at Cardiff. As mentioned before, our previous manger often talked about his liking for "bread and butter" midfielders and so, we've lacked a bit of jam or sandwich filling for a couple of seasons now at least - sadly, it seems our current manager is happy enough with just bread and butter as well.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    For me, all four of our midfield players are good enough to get into a ,lot of Championship teams, but the blend is all wrong at Cardiff. As mentioned before, our previous manger often talked about his liking for "bread and butter" midfielders and so, we've lacked a bit of jam or sandwich filling for a couple of seasons now at least - sadly, it seems our current manager is happy enough with just bread and butter as well.
    I wonder if Sam Bowen is back with us now as Barry's games are suspended? He's been playing well at Barry so his confidence should be high. There's a nice goal from him on the Barry twitter feed here (28th December) with an assist from Rhys Abbruzzese (and a mention for Macauley Southam in the tweet above).

https://twitter.com/barrytownunited?lang=en

Which other Championship teams would Pack and Vaulks get in to?

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    Here we go, an invitation to the sort of completely pointless argument which I made a New Year's resolution to try and not get involved in. Let's just leave it that, surprise, surprise you disagree with me.

I fancy that Callum Styles at Barnsley.

For a 20 year old, great vision and feet

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    I fancy that Callum Styles at Barnsley.

For a 20 year old, great vision and feet
    I quite fancy Angelina Jolie.

Think this summer will tell us more about what sort of midfield Harris wants than anything that's happened so far and the winter/summer windows that follow more again. Jury is still very much out.

Pack has played 200+ games at this level. Vaulks might not but I reckon he could do a job for a lot of sides. As Bob says, the blend is all wrong.

Pack's pass for Wilson was superb, I think the main question from that is, if he can do that (it wasn't a fluke, it was too deliberate and well played to be), is he not doing it regularly because he doesn't want to, or because he's told not to?

We miss Bacuna's legs and energy in that holding position as well, he was brilliant just after we came back from the first lockdown. I'd be interested if we let the midfield play without the handbrake on, too many of them are playing within themselves and I think that's down to instruction.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Pack has played 200+ games at this level. Vaulks might not but I reckon he could do a job for a lot of sides. As Bob says, the blend is all wrong.

Pack's pass for Wilson was superb, I think the main question from that is, if he can do that (it wasn't a fluke, it was too deliberate and well played to be), is he not doing it regularly because he doesn't want to, or because he's told not to?

We miss Bacuna's legs and energy in that holding position as well, he was brilliant just after we came back from the first lockdown. I'd be interested if we let the midfield play without the handbrake on, too many of them are playing within themselves and I think that's down to instruction.
    I don't think either of them would feature regularly for more than a few other clubs in the division. Pack's passing isn't good enough to make up for the deficiencies in the rest of his game and Vaulks is completely mediocre. They're bench options at best, but we've had to start one or both of them pretty much all season.

We need a Barry Bannon kind of player in there

..........but with better hair.

I don't think either of them would feature regularly for more than a few other clubs in the division. Pack's passing isn't good enough to make up for the deficiencies in the rest of his game and Vaulks is completely mediocre. They're bench options at best, but we've had to start one or both of them pretty much all season.
    Vaulks has suggested he might be a decent box to box attacking midfielder. He's got an eye for goal and, at Rotherham, made a bit of a name for himself with some spectacular long range goals. We don't see that much here as, collectively as a club, we're shy of hitting shots from distance in comparison with the rest of the division, presumably under instruction. He covers more ground than any other City midfielder. His passing isn't the best and I don't think he's at the best club to improve that.

Vaulks at best is cover for Ralls.

Ralls isnt having the best of seasons which adds to the problem.

Ralls hasn’t fulfilled his early promise

Quote Originally Posted by Stanmore Bluebird View Post
    Ralls hasn’t fulfilled his early promise
    Playing for Harris and Warnock hasn't helped

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Playing for Harris and Warnock hasn't helped
    We need someone to unlock the potential of Marlon Pack , hidden away is a world class midfielder just waiting to be released from his shackles.

Pack played for Bristol City for years so is easily Championship standard and Vaulks was Rotherham’s Player of the Year and has also played International football for Wales so is again Championship standard.The problem is like Morrison and Flint again good Championship players they can’t seem to play together!

Quote Originally Posted by Ianto13 View Post
    Pack played for Bristol City for years so is easily Championship standard and Vaulks was Rotherham’s Player of the Year and has also played International football for Wales so is again Championship standard.The problem is like Morrison and Flint again good Championship players they can’t seem to play together!
    Agree , and Ralls and Bacuna would all be good enough to play in a team below the top 6 , our team in general is at a low ebb , it was the same team with new and better additions that played well and nearly got into play off final last year

The thing I notice most about out midfield is that none of them are overly confident on the ball. They seem unable to buy them self a bit of time to pick a pass. This was exactly what players like Tomlin, Camarasa even Gunnarson we’re able to do.

Quote Originally Posted by PhyllisStant View Post
    The thing I notice most about out midfield is that none of them are overly confident on the ball. They seem unable to buy them self a bit of time to pick a pass. This was exactly what players like Tomlin, Camarasa even Gunnarson we’re able to do.
    Isn't it like measuring apples with pairs , our current midfield are workhorses with occasional top up skills .

Pack can pass on his day but is inconstant

Tomlin, Camarasa were very creative .

Gunnarson was similar to Ralls but a bit better , he and Ralls together were half decent .

Lets be fair any half decent midfielder would cost a lot of money and be with the top championship sides .

We need to develop younger players into those skills we need,

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Isn't it like measuring apples with pairs , our current midfield are workhorses with occasional top up skills .

Pack can pass on his day but is inconstant

Tomlin, Camarasa were very creative .

Gunnarson was similar to Ralls but a bit better , he and Ralls together were half decent .

Lets be fair any half decent midfielder would cost a lot of money and be with the top championship sides .

We need to develop younger players into those skills we need,
    With pairs of what?

(in before Bluetit)