+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Should we now at least TRY to go on a cup run?

Should we now at least TRY to go on a cup run?

For a number of years now, we have either been hovering around the top end of the Championship or trying to escape relegation from the PL and there is little doubt that the cup competitions have not been taken seriously by the Club or the supporters.

Neil Harris has already talked himself out of the promotion race and we 'should' have too much in our armour to go down, so should we field our best team at Forest and go for it?

We need a tonic and maybe a good cup run could help us kick start our league campaign.

For what it's worth, I would make a few changes for Saturday (i.e Bagan, Cunningham & Hoilett coming in) but they would be in my selection if we were playing a league game anyway.

Re: Should we now at least TRY to go on a cup run?

It really annoys me when the club pays so little attention to the Cup competitions. It's been a long tradition, stretching back years, and it has to stop. They have to be worth chasing, even if only for the money, and if other clubs disregard them, then we have a much better chance of getting somewhere.

I don't know that the League Cup (or whatever it's called these days) ever held my attention much. It seemed a very poor cousin of the FA Cup, which was a magnificent tournament. I feel bad for today's 11-year-olds if they are not being treated to the same thrill I experienced whenever the FA Cup Final rolled around. It was so great. The hype would start about 9 a.m. with retrospectives, manager and player interviews, "Road to Wembley" game clips, and, for some reason, game film of the 1953 "Stanley Matthews" Cup Final, always. By kickoff I was pumped to bursting point, like a balloon perilously close to exploding. Those acres of gorgeous green, the roaring crowd, the sheer tension, uncles gathered around, my mother knitting in her armchair feigning indifference. God knows what my blood pressure was during the final moments of the 1973 final when lowly Sunderland upset mighty Leeds, but it would probably have finished me off today.

Yes, the FA Cup was a wonderful tournament. I wish modern football showed it a bit more love.

Nah .

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    It really annoys me when the club pays so little attention to the Cup competitions. It's been a long tradition, stretching back years, and it has to stop. They have to be worth chasing, even if only for the money, and if other clubs disregard them, then we have a much better chance of getting somewhere.
    It annoys me that players don't step up when given a chance to play in these games

I think we will have a strong team out.

Harris will be desperate for the win.

I reckon it will be a run out for the squad member, some of those who have not played much or at all. So Phillips, Benkovic, Cunningham, Pack, Murphy and Hoilett. A few regulars will have to play, as we still don't have proper right back. And a some youngsters like Bagan, Patten , Zimba with Harris up front too. Ojo and Wilson may not be allowed to play. And the rest to be rested as apparently they are very tired! Maybe Gavin Whyte and Sol Bamba will get a game too.

Phillips, Bacuna, Benkovic, Bamba, Cunningham, Murphy, Pack, Hoilett, Whyte, Vaulks, Harris : subs: Ratcliffe, Patten, Evans, Zimba, Bennett, Nelson, Ralls, Mayembe, Sang.

There again we might put the 1st team out!

After this cup game, we don’t play for another 7 (seven, for Splott parker) days.

So we should play whatever Mr Harris thinks is our best 11 (eleven), then when we are 5(five)-0 up, bring on 5 (five) kids to see if they can cut the mustard

Quote Originally Posted by blueblade View Post
    For a number of years now, we have either been hovering around the top end of the Championship or trying to escape relegation from the PL and there is little doubt that the cup competitions have not been taken seriously by the Club or the supporters.

Neil Harris has already talked himself out of the promotion race and we 'should' have too much in our armour to go down, so should we field our best team at Forest and go for it?

We need a tonic and maybe a good cup run could help us kick start our league campaign.

For what it's worth, I would make a few changes for Saturday (i.e Bagan, Cunningham & Hoilett coming in) but they would be in my selection if we were playing a league game anyway.
    An opportunity to boost the morale of the club and its fans with a win? Don't be daft.

Quote Originally Posted by blueblade View Post

Be pretty galling to reach a semi or a final and not be able to go. Not sure what the point of a cup run is if you can’t be there

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    After this cup game, we don’t play for another 7 (seven, for Splott parker) days.

So we should play whatever Mr Harris thinks is our best 11 (eleven), then when we are 5(five)-0 up, bring on 5 (five) kids to see if they can cut the mustard
    You, for one (1) are being too (2) cheeky

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post

How do you cut mustard 🤔

Yes ... but do we have a “best team”?

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    How do you cut mustard ��

https://www.google.co.uk/search?clie...ile-gws-wiz-hp

Yes, but we won't. I would give Bagan a game though.

I doubt too many clubs will be taking the FA Cup that seriously this year. I'm surprised that domestic cup competitions weren't suspended for this season. With a backlog of fixtures and so many injuries, I can't see many EPL teams fielding anything other than a team of youngsters and reserves. Same for any EFL team contesting promotion or relegation.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I doubt too many clubs will be taking the FA Cup that seriously this year. I'm surprised that domestic cup competitions weren't suspended for this season. With a backlog of fixtures and so many injuries, I can't see many EPL teams fielding anything other than a team of youngsters and reserves. Same for any EFL team contesting promotion or relegation.
    Good chance for us to try and win it, then

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Good chance for us to try and win it, then
    If we get a few non-league teams to start us off. I wouldn't fancy Sheffield Utd reserves though.