Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A Cardiff City FA Cup quiz.

Re: A Cardiff City FA Cup quiz.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    20 is Ian Ure and the quiz was Quiz Ball
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    12 is Barnsley. I think we faced Man City in the next round.
    Yes it was.

16 . Duncan MacKenzie
    Yes.

17. Linden Jones scored for City

18 Earnshaw v Bristol Rovers in 2000/01
    Yes, but answered earlier.

15. A third round tie that wasn't a replay went to extra -time. Could happen again this week-end of course.

I remember the draw against Man City at home, their fans were on the Grange End with us, different days and if I recall correctly it was all very amicable. The lasting memory though is their fans seeming to be more excited about Man Utd being knocked out by Norwich at Old Trafford. Another little anecdote regarding the Old Trafford game was that a young Norwich fan dyed his hair yellow and green and vowed to keep it that colour for ever should the unlikely happen. I often wonder what he looks like now.
    I wouldn’t’ want to come across him when I take the dog for its nightly walk shortly - I’d run a mile, well, fifty yards.

I’ve two main memories of that Man City game, the weather and Graham Coldrick’s bullet diving header into his own net.

16. Duncan McKenzie

Quote Originally Posted by BINGE THINKING View Post
    15. A third round tie that wasn't a replay went to extra -time. Could happen again this week-end of course.
    Yes, it was weird one that which I came across this morning by accident. I assumed it was something to with the war, but we had a replay two seasons before that - I wonder if it might have been something to do with fears about another 1947 type winter?

5 is Spurs. Flood, McPhail, Loovens, Ferretti and Ledley.

2. 1993/94

14 Pavel Pogrebnyak

19 Ragnar Sigurdsson

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    5 is Spurs. Flood, McPhail, Loovens, Ferretti and Ledley.
    Yes, all of your other answers are right as well.

I remember the draw against Man City at home, their fans were on the Grange End with us, different days and if I recall correctly it was all very amicable.
    I was right next to a full block of them in the Canton Stand and there was no bother there either.

8 is Dartford. Credit to you for recognising darts as a sport.

13 Alan Peacock

6 Papa Bouba Diop, David James, Nico Kranjcar and Trevor Sinclair.

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    8 is Dartford. Credit to you for recognising darts as a sport.
    My brother's dubious definition of what qualifies as a sport, formed about thirty five years ago, is that something is only s sport if it involves having a ball coming towards you. I pointed out to him that me and him playing pool or snooker are better sportsmen that, say, Steve Davies and Jimmy White then, because of the number of times we have different colour balls coming towards us after we've missed a pot and the object ball has rebounded off the opposite cushion.

I must admit that, having not played or watched darts since about 1990, I have trouble with the notion that it is sport, but maybe I'm thinking back to when the likes of Leighton Rees, Jocky Wilson and Eric Bristow were at the top. After all, I saw the Welsh bloke who who won the world title last week being criticised for his "style of play" and when you start seeing that term used, you automatically think a sport is being talked about.

What was wrong with the new Darts World Champion's style of play? Did he play a darting version of Warnockball which involved him standing further away from the board and lobbing his darts high in the air or was it something more mundane like he was taking so long to throw them?

Dartford is right, as are your other two answers - I think that means that there's only nos. 9, 11 and 17 to get.

Bob, there are lots of styles of play in darts. Some are incredibly quick, some slow as a sloth with everything in between. Some quick players rely on that rhythm and don't like facing a slow player as a result. Sometimes players will deliberately slow their play down, fumble when retrieving their darts, or drop a dart, just to affect the other player's rhythm and bring about a reduction in performance. Gary Anderson is an example of someone who is affected by slow playing, and even more if someone is intentionally doing it as a bit of gamesmanship. It's been known in snooker as well. Darts players were occasionally found to be talking or making noises behind the thrower, so an exclusion zone was introduced, ensuring space for the thrower.

Part of the reason for me mentioning Anderson is that he's a player that has gone on record very recently as saying he just wants to throw darts without all the nonsense. If he gets beaten by the better player, fine, he just hates tactics designed to put the other guy off. I'm broadly supportive of that stance.

I should mention that darts players (and plenty of other sports players) are often very different in behaviour when they play and away from the game. When people call so-and-so a knob for doing something in a game, they can only mean the sport player, not the individual as a whole.

A momentary yell of delight is something that seems to have grown into darts. Some players need that release, it's a pressure-relieving valve. There's no one more vocal than Price. He's also one to give one of his customary screams if he hits a big shot during a leg. Most pundits I've heard agree that he does so in a partially intimidatory way. One instance can be seen in the Grand Slam final a few years ago when he hit a 2-treble score and with Anderson ready to throw, Price turns to face Anderson, yells in his face and Anderson pushes him out of the way. Both were fined over it but it was clear who the aggressor was.

Price's style divides opinion - I don't like it and don't like watching him play. As a person he's supposed to be a lovely bloke and as a person he grew on me during the World Cup. But I don't enjoy the way he plays, whether it be passion or him being a knob on the oche.

9. Jimmy Gill is our highest FA Cup scorer

17. Linden Jones scored (answered earlier)

11. Wayne Allison

Quote Originally Posted by BINGE THINKING View Post
    11. Wayne Allison
    This is correct, as is Linden Jones, but I’ve got. a different answer for the other one. While I suppose a club’s top scorer in any competition is unique if they are the only one, but it’s different if there are joint top scorers, so I don’t think the word unique is appropriate- Jimmy Gill is the only City player to manage what I had in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Bob, there are lots of styles of play in darts. Some are incredibly quick, some slow as a sloth with everything in between. Some quick players rely on that rhythm and don't like facing a slow player as a result. Sometimes players will deliberately slow their play down, fumble when retrieving their darts, or drop a dart, just to affect the other player's rhythm and bring about a reduction in performance. Gary Anderson is an example of someone who is affected by slow playing, and even more if someone is intentionally doing it as a bit of gamesmanship. It's been known in snooker as well. Darts players were occasionally found to be talking or making noises behind the thrower, so an exclusion zone was introduced, ensuring space for the thrower.

Part of the reason for me mentioning Anderson is that he's a player that has gone on record very recently as saying he just wants to throw darts without all the nonsense. If he gets beaten by the better player, fine, he just hates tactics designed to put the other guy off. I'm broadly supportive of that stance.

I should mention that darts players (and plenty of other sports players) are often very different in behaviour when they play and away from the game. When people call so-and-so a knob for doing something in a game, they can only mean the sport player, not the individual as a whole.

A momentary yell of delight is something that seems to have grown into darts. Some players need that release, it's a pressure-relieving valve. There's no one more vocal than Price. He's also one to give one of his customary screams if he hits a big shot during a leg. Most pundits I've heard agree that he does so in a partially intimidatory way. One instance can be seen in the Grand Slam final a few years ago when he hit a 2-treble score and with Anderson ready to throw, Price turns to face Anderson, yells in his face and Anderson pushes him out of the way. Both were fined over it but it was clear who the aggressor was.

Price's style divides opinion - I don't like it and don't like watching him play. As a person he's supposed to be a lovely bloke and as a person he grew on me during the World Cup. But I don't enjoy the way he plays, whether it be passion or him being a knob on the oche.
    Thanks Eric, reading that set me thinking why sportsmanship and gamesmanship (which is what Price is guilty of by your description) mean completely different things when there is often an argument as to whether something (e.g. darts) is a sport or a game - it makes one sound so much better than the other.