+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Chinese Curry

Re: Chinese Curry

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Considering Cardiff has a large bangladeshi community and quite a sizeable Pakistani one I am surprised it doesn't have more decent curry houses and indeed a curry triangle or mile like Manchester, Birmingham do

I used to live in Bradford and the Asian community is so widespread its all over the city so no real curry quarter

In Cardiff I suppose we have city road , Albany Road, Crwys Road area but thats it really
    Cardiff now has some really good Indian restaurants but nowhere that does balti like Birmingham. I’ve eaten balti in Bradford and Leeds but it just doesn’t capture the Birmingham experience somehow. When I lived near Birmingham it was quite common to get a taxi to Ladypool Road at 2am and go for a balti until 3-4am. This was back in the 90s. I went to Shabab’s about 5 years ago with old colleagues and we were there until after 1am when people were still arriving!

Almost all of the Chinese / Fish shop / Pub curries are from the Bookers or Costco curry powder (just add water), supplied by Dinaclass or similar.

bearable

Butter chicken is my current bit on the side ��
    you've ruined your entire point there by admitting you eat butter chicken.

it should be sued under the trades description act

Its basically beef in a mild, curry flavoured gravy

Shocking stuff
    Love it. Can drink it straight from the carton.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I've seen "Irish Curry" on the menu at bars over here occasionally. It's chicken in curry sauce, like you get on Caroline Street.
    Yeh , slightly fruity .

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    you've ruined your entire point there by admitting you eat butter chicken.
    I love Butter Chicken M&S do a cracking one.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    Not for me, been to Thailand, bloody awful.
    The country or the food?
    Personally had some of the best food i've ever eaten there.I had a thai friend with me so i probably avoided all the british style pubs where you ate

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    I love Butter Chicken M&S do a cracking one.
    bland shite

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Dargavel View Post
    Cardiff now has some really good Indian restaurants but nowhere that does balti like Birmingham. I’ve eaten balti in Bradford and Leeds but it just doesn’t capture the Birmingham experience somehow. When I lived near Birmingham it was quite common to get a taxi to Ladypool Road at 2am and go for a balti until 3-4am. This was back in the 90s. I went to Shabab’s about 5 years ago with old colleagues and we were there until after 1am when people were still arriving!
    Is the curry quarter near Balsall heath ?

Beef fried rice , spring rolls , beef with noodles
    Do you have a kitchen in your home ?

Beef fried rice , spring rolls , beef with noodles
    so dry. you can't eat without a carton of curry or two

When I was visiting Birmingham a lot in the 90's I often went Balti 'houses' - these were un-licensed premises which were little more than converted front rooms. Probably as close to authentic Bangledeshi home cooking in a restuarant environment.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    When I was visiting Birmingham a lot in the 90's I often went Balti 'houses' - these were un-licensed premises which were little more than converted front rooms. Probably as close to authentic Bangledeshi home cooking in a restuarant environment.
    ***Sorry I was replying to a different thread when I write my original reply***

Yes, it takes in Balsall Heath, Sparkbrook and Sparkhill. It’s a trainable loosely formed by Stoney Lane, Ladypool Road and the Stratford Road. But “balti” has spread all over greater Birmingham and the surrounding areas since the 80s. A curry house in Bromsgrove in the late 90s did the most amazing balti dishes and was run by a chap who started as a waiter in the balti triangle. His brother was the chef.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    ***Sorry I was replying to a different thread when I write my original reply***

Yes, absolutely, you’d go and fetch your booze from “the outdoor” before going in. The Shereen Kadah on Moseley Road literally turned their upstairs lounge into extra seating. I remember the TV ariel cable still hanging loose on the horrid pile carpet while we were eating. Menus were underneath glass table tops and onion salad starters were just sliced raw onion in a thin chilli soup. I loved it and still do if you can find a restaurant that sticks to tradition but they are few and far between now.

The restaurant mentioned above used to do katlamas which are a challenge in themselves. They are like a naan crossed with an American pancake!

Yes, it takes in Balsall Heath, Sparkbrook and Sparkhill. It’s a trainable loosely formed by Stoney Lane, Ladypool Road and the Stratford Road. But “balti” has spread all over greater Birmingham and the surrounding areas since the 80s. A curry house in Bromsgrove in the late 90s did the most amazing balti dishes and was run by a chap who started as a waiter in the balti triangle. His brother was the chef.
    Balti is Deffo a brummie thing

Lamb balti is my favourite , with spinach

Manchester , Bradford and Huddersfield have some good curry houses

Agreed. Akbars near Bradford was a great restaurant. Naans like Dumbo’s ear hanging on hooks!

Agreed. Akbars near Bradford was a great restaurant. Naans like Dumbo’s ear hanging on hooks!
    A lot of the curry houses in Bradford didn't do naans when I lived there , apparently that was an Indian and Bangladeshi thing and most of the Asians in Bradford were of Pakistani origin ?

One thing that did make me laugh was one day after shopping in town I went for an early evening curry in great Horton near Bradford University

Asked waiter if he did half rice half chips he said you from Wales innit 🤔 lol 😆

Chips with a curry is so wrong, yet, on occasion, so incredibly right!

Came here for Akbars.

Leaving with mouth watering.

There's one in Leeds and Brum too.

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    The country or the food?
    Personally had some of the best food i've ever eaten there.I had a thai friend with me so i probably avoided all the british style pubs where you ate
    Odd to assume.

Anyway Thailand the place is probably my second favourite destination I've been and the food generally probably the best I've ever bad.

But as per this thread, the curry, Thai Curry wasn't for me.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

I spent a lot of time around Ladypool road when finishing a PhD at Birmingham

Kept the fires stoked nqat 10/10

“Chinese” Curry sauce is lovely in its own right.
    It’s daft to equate it to Indian cuisine and just our own vernacular really.

I’m going to make some this evening.
    How I miss Kon Seto’s curry sauce from the bottom of Somerton Bridge in Newport.

Would be my last choice of meal!!

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post
    “Chinese” Curry sauce is lovely in its own right.
    It’s daft to equate it to Indian cuisine and just our own vernacular really.

I’m going to make some this evening.
    How I miss Kon Seto’s curry sauce from the bottom of Somerton Bridge in Newport.

Would be my last choice of meal!!
    its called mayflower in the packet form over here

I am afraid I think its dreadful

Looks like baby poo

Quote Originally Posted by barrybloo View Post
    It's quite simple, if you want decent curry, go to a curry house, if you want decent chips , go to a fish and chip shop. They simply can't do both. Chinese only do chinky food any good.
    (Although you would think the chips would be easy?)
    Many tears ago there was a 'restaurant' in Blackwood that served both Mexican and Indian food. Every dish tasted like a fajita that had been marinated in a football boot. It was very popular.