Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    its called mayflower in the packet form over here

I am afraid I think its dreadful

Looks like baby poo
    Its banging. £1 a tub in Home Bargains.

There's something wrong with you.

Re: Chinese Curry

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    Chips from the Chinese take away are generally crap. Unless they use a proper chip shop fryer. Chinese and English take aways combined are the best of both worlds.
    MA Fishbar on Cornwall Street is the best of all worlds. Proper chips and an Indian take away too, so if you fancy a vindaloo sauce with your chips, no problem. Cracking Samosa and chips before games...

I love lots of different types of curry, Indian, Thai, Chinese, Japanese, Malaysian.
    there's a place for them all.
    obviously they are all better if made fresh rather than out of a tub.

the best "Indian" style curry I had was in a Pakistani restaurant in Hong Kong.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I love lots of different types of curry, Indian, Thai, Chinese, Japanese, Malaysian.

Massaman curry is my favourite Thai curry. It's more similar to Indian than a Thai green curry.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Massaman curry is my favourite Thai curry. It's more similar to Indian than a Thai green curry.
    Yeah it's less perfumy than some of the other thai curries, but it's usually a bit too mild for my tastes.

You'd all be horrified by a Danish "Boller i Karry" dish. 99% of the time the meat is just the worst quality and the "curry" is a weird semi sweet monstrosity. Weirdly, most Danes love it and it's a traditional classic. So the word curry clearly means different things to different people!

https://nordicfoodliving.com/danish-...oller-i-karry/

Balti is Deffo a brummie thing

Lamb balti is my favourite , with spinach

Manchester , Bradford and Huddersfield have some good curry houses
    The first Balti pie I ate was at the Villa v Newcastle game. (My neighbour was a Geordie and I accompanied him there as he did likewise to see a City home game. I also watched Sunderland with his wife, who was a Mackem but they wouldn't accompany each other at games such was the rivalry).

Japanese curry is lovely

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post
    “Chinese” Curry sauce is lovely in its own right.
    It’s daft to equate it to Indian cuisine and just our own vernacular really.

I’m going to make some this evening.
    How I miss Kon Seto’s curry sauce from the bottom of Somerton Bridge in Newport.

Would be my last choice of meal!!
    Not your first then....

Quote Originally Posted by AfricanBluebird View Post
    Many tears ago there was a 'restaurant' in Blackwood that served both Mexican and Indian food. Every dish tasted like a fajita that had been marinated in a football boot. It was very popular.
    There's a Himalaya restaurant in Taunton that offers a myriad of dishes supposedly from that part of the world. The people who run the restaurant are lovely but all but one dish comes out of the kitchen almost luminous orange in colour.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Dwr View Post
    Japanese curry is lovely
    if I'm making a quick curry at home I usually start with a Japanese curry as a base, like s&b then add a bit of extra heat.

if I'm making a quick curry at home I usually start with a Japanese curry as a base, like s&b then add a bit of extra heat.
    Yep. Often visit Japan and lived there for 2 years. A katsu curry is one of the first things I go for when over there.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Dwr View Post
    Yep. Often visit Japan and lived there for 2 years. A katsu curry is one of the first things I go for when over there.
    Agreed. In fact I had karaage curry for lunch today.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    I love Butter Chicken M&S do a cracking one.
    I make my own butter chicken and crank up the heat. Bloody lush.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I make my own butter chicken and crank up the heat. Bloody lush.
    American is not a place I associate with curry houses

Perhaps I am wrong ?

American is not a place I associate with curry houses

Perhaps I am wrong ?
    Though not as prevalent as in the UK, there are plenty around here. Probably less so in the middle bit.

Though not as prevalent as in the UK, there are plenty around here. Probably less so in the middle bit.
    The menu is slightly different though. Onion bhajis are particularly hard to come by.

A place I used to get take out from when I lived on 6th Street (New York's Curry Row) used to serve every dish with rice cabbage and dahl. $5.45. Bangin'.

The menu is slightly different though. Onion bhajis are particularly hard to come by.

A place I used to get take out from when I lived on 6th Street (New York's Curry Row) used to serve every dish with rice cabbage and dahl. $5.45. Bangin'.
    For years the Indian Restaurants were terrible.
    Had a great one in NYC though about 15 years ago.

The Indian population in my area has risen incredibly in line with IT demands and as a result so has the restaurants.

They are decent enough serving Authentic regional food but obviously don’t taste like the British versions that I love.

I started making my own about 7 years ago when I discovered “garabi” and I’m glad I did.
    They usually taste great and it propelled me into really enjoying cooking in general.

For years the Indian Restaurants were terrible.
    Had a great one in NYC though about 15 years ago.

The Indian population in my area has risen incredibly in line with IT demands and as a result so has the restaurants.

They are decent enough serving Authentic regional food but obviously don’t taste like the British versions that I love.

I started making my own about 7 years ago when I discovered “garabi” and I’m glad I did.
    They usually taste great and it propelled me into really enjoying cooking in general.
    I've got a quart of garabi in the freezer. Do you know what an Instant Pot is? I use one. And I've got an Indian recipe book by Urvashi Pitre (AKA the Butter Chicken Lady) specifically for Instant Pot.

I've got a quart of garabi in the freezer. Do you know what an Instant Pot is? I use one. And I've got an Indian recipe book by Urvashi Pitre (AKA the Butter Chicken Lady) specifically for Instant Pot.
    I do Mate.
    I’m on to my second Pressure Cooker now.
    Got the Ninja Foodie which doubles as an air fryer as well. It’s ace.

It’s amazing to knock out a full pot of it in around an hour as opposed to 4/5 hrs.

I started following recipes on a BIR forum but now usually just get them from YouTube....Misty Ricardo, Stephen Heap and Al’s Kitchen.

I do Mate.
    I’m on to my second Pressure Cooker now.
    Got the Ninja Foodie which doubles as an air fryer as well. It’s ace.

It’s amazing to knock out a full pot of it in around an hour as opposed to 4/5 hrs.

I started following recipes on a BIR forum but now usually just get them from YouTube....Misty Ricardo, Stephen Heap and Al’s Kitchen.
    I love those YouTube videos. All those Brummie and Yorkshire accents.

I love those YouTube videos. All those Brummie and Yorkshire accents.
    Yeah, they are great!

like you lot know a good indian curry. your taste buds have been damaged by welks and welsh rarebit and in some cases hotdogs and hamburgers...what do you know about a real...real curry.

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    like you lot know a good indian curry. your taste buds have been damaged by welks and welsh rarebit and in some cases hotdogs and hamburgers...what do you know about a real...real curry.