+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Eddie Howe

Re: Eddie Howe

Quote Originally Posted by Its been emotional View Post
    Of course Eddie Howe would come here .......
    Theres only 20 top club jobs half wouldn't employ Howe (top 10 + a few more)
    So probably 6 clubs might look at him?
    So his next club his highly likely to be a Championship Club...........so onto us as an attractive next step............
    Look at it from the outside......

Promoted twice to the top flight
    Lost in a playoff final
    Lost in a F.A. Cup Final
    Lost in a League Cup Final
    Lost in a couple of semi final playoff finals
    Got a Billionaire owner who is willing to spend money and has invested in the Club for 10 years or more
    Eddie Howe would come here plus others if the Club wanted them.
    I'm not sure how that logic works, those 6 clubs (interested in which ones you are referring to) are all much more attractive than us. Look at a club like Palace for example, Roy is out of contract in the summer and things look stale there, Howe would probably be at the top of their shortlist.

Not sure why losing a bunch of finals a decade ago has any relevance to be honest, at present we are a mid table championship side who have tightened the purse strings after relegation, that's how we ended up with the underwhelming appointment of Harris in the first place.

I often wonder why Tan doesn’t sell half his stake to one of his even richer Chinese buddies....it really wouldn’t take much to get out of this league and maybe he’s learnt a few lessons on what to do and what not to do.....

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    I often wonder why Tan doesn’t sell half his stake to one of his even richer Chinese buddies....it really wouldn’t take much to get out of this league and maybe he’s learnt a few lessons on what to do and what not to do.....
    I doubt Tan has learned much. I should imagine Cardiff City is pretty low on his list of priorities these days.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Best chairman we've ever had, whatever the alleged dodgy deals ( love to see the evidence) , yes he was nieve , however he has stayed loyal unlike a lot of other foreign owners who have used clubs , and then dumped and destroyed them .
    I don't know what his deal is but I don't think he has much regard for "the club" , or more to the point, the fans that make the club what it is.

Maybe he has learnt his lesson, but I don't think loyal is the right word. I think he is determined or maybe likes the idea of owning a team in the English league. I think it's more of a prestige thing and a bloody mindedness to prove he can be a successful owner.

If he ends up consolidating the debts and gets the club on an even keel then plaudits to him and respect has to be given. I guess that remains to be seen though.

In the meantime, maybe throwing money at the problem is not the answer, but can you imagine what might have been achieved had he employed someone to overlook a long-term ambition for the club's structure, on and off the field, when he first arrived.

A decade on and he still hasn't had the nouse to get someone in to manage this side of the things. If financial restrictions mean you can't do it quickly , that doesn't mean that you can't do it at all. However, employing unremarkable managers to take care of the entire running of on-field affairs is probably not the way forward.

No idea why people think Howe would have any interest in us or any championship club.

Quote Originally Posted by blueblade View Post
    Eddie Howe will believe that he is next in line for the Newcastle job (or at least at that level)

There is no way he would drop to a Club with zero ambition.
    Sadly I think that this is correct.

Whereas I’d love him to be the next manager it would be a hard sell as he’ll be waiting for a job at Newcastle, Palace, some other mid table Premier League team to come up, and turning us around and getting the team promoted will be very hard work and a risk for him. :-(

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Hull
    The Hull owner Assem Allam is a joint national (Egyptian - British) and has lived in this country since 1968!

He may be a 'bad owner' with all the Hull rebrand stuff (although he continues to fund them) but he is not foreign.

Bring Mark Hughes in director of football. Or even maybe Stephen Mcphail, he seems to be doing a decent job at shamrock rovers. Hell Dave Jones, why not? I’m just throwing names in the hat there but what I’m saying is we can keep bringing in managers all the time at a constant turnover which achieves nothing. We need a football mind within the board. Someone who knows the industry.
    We currently have none, just business men who don’t really know how to run it or actually know what they want.
    It needs a radical change on the board of directors for any momentum and plan to be put in place.

The board don't do football any more than the board of The Ford Motor Company do oil changes.
    The board are supposed to run the business and the manager does the football stuff.

Actually it's probably a big problem when directors think they understand football , as we've seen many times.

No , we need a good professional manager more than anything else. As I said earlier , it's the one thing we're missing.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    The Hull owner Assem Allam is a joint national (Egyptian - British) and has lived in this country since 1968!

He may be a 'bad owner' with all the Hull rebrand stuff (although he continues to fund them) but he is not foreign.
    Thank you for the correction. That makes it even harder to find 'lots' of foreign owners who have ruined clubs.

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    The board don't do football any more than the board of The Ford Motor Company do oil changes.
    The board are supposed to run the business and the manager does the football stuff.

Actually it's probably a big problem when directors think they understand football , as we've seen many times.

No , we need a good professional manager more than anything else. As I said earlier , it's the one thing we're missing.
    Agree 100%

No we are missing a right back , a couple of central midfielders , cover at centre half and we only have one good striker so probably need 2 new strikers as well.

Throw in weve a bunch of players not good enough who we will struggle to get off the wage bill let alone get any money for them.

If we got rid of Harris - who has at least managed to sign a very good striker then its going to be a bargain basement replacement.

We will end up with a Gary Monk type of appointment to fit our purse strings.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    We will end up with a Gary Monk type of appointment to fit our purse strings.
    Thats the type of appointment we would go for.

They wont go for Monk. Some on this board didnt give Harris a chance so no way they would go for Monk.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    No we are missing a right back , a couple of central midfielders , cover at centre half and we only have one good striker so probably need 2 new strikers as well.

Throw in weve a bunch of players not good enough who we will struggle to get off the wage bill let alone get any money for them.

If we got rid of Harris - who has at least managed to sign a very good striker then its going to be a bargain basement replacement.

That's the whole point isn't it. We can all see deficiencies and ways in which we'd have managed it differently , and I expect the board can too, but the manager is the one who's supposed to be taking decisions about selections and priorities in a way which works.

Who decided it'd be a good idea to play Bacuna at right back for months ,for example ?
    Who decided to play Harry Wilson on the wing so often instead of in midfield ?
    Who decided to get rid of Patterson for chump change instead of retaining him as an option?
    Who decided to send a second rate central defender on loan and replace him with a fourth rate one on loan ?

It's the job of any manager to make such decisions which he stands or falls by. What we need is someone who can make consistent shrewd calls on stuff like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    No idea why people think Howe would have any interest in us or any championship club.
    Why wouldn't he? He's spent the majority of his career in the Championship. He's managed one team in the EPL and he finished in the top half once. He's been relegated. He's a good manager. He got Bournemouth up from League 2 to the EPL playing some nice football. But he's not what you'd call a proven winner at the highest level. Far from it.

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    That's the whole point isn't it. We can all see deficiencies and ways in which we'd have managed it differently , and I expect the board can too, but the manager is the one who's supposed to be taking decisions about selections and priorities in a way which works.

Who decided it'd be a good idea to play Bacuna at right back for months ,for example ?
    Who decided to play Harry Wilson on the wing so often instead of in midfield ?
    Who decided to get rid of Patterson for chump change instead of retaining him as an option?
    Who decided to send a second rate central defender on loan and replace him with a fourth rate one on loan ?

It's the job of any manager to make such decisions which he stands or falls by. What we need is someone who can make consistent shrewd calls on stuff like this.
    Hes not perfect or faultless. But not long ago he got us up the table to the play offs. So he is a manager who can achieve that.

He has made some good additions and has been unlucky with injuries. He has had little financial backing and clearly needs to get Warnock signings out before he can continue to build his team.

There is zero chance Eddie Howe will come here. No money and a major rebuild needed.

We will be looking at a bargain basement cheap option. Things could quickly get much worse. At this stage id rather have a man un charge who is proven that he can make top 6.

Look if we had millions to spend and an ambition to go all out for autos next season and Eddie Howe would come then great get him in.

Reality is there is no money to attract someone like Eddie Howe.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Hes not perfect or faultless. But not long ago he got us up the table to the play offs. So he is a manager who can achieve that.

He has made some good additions and has been unlucky with injuries. He has had little financial backing and clearly needs to get Warnock signings out before he can continue to build his team.

There is zero chance Eddie Howe will come here. No money and a major rebuild needed.

We will be looking at a bargain basement cheap option. Things could quickly get much worse. At this stage id rather have a man un charge who is proven that he can make top 6.

Look if we had millions to spend and an ambition to go all out for autos next season and Eddie Howe would come then great get him in.

Reality is there is no money to attract someone like Eddie Howe.
    But there could be if someone could pique Tan's interest.

I'm starting to think they're going to leave him in place and have thus written off this season if not the whole project.

In fairness I can understand that, but I'm quite dissapointed if that's the case.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Why wouldn't he? He's spent the majority of his career in the Championship. He's managed one team in the EPL and he finished in the top half once. He's been relegated. He's a good manager. He got Bournemouth up from League 2 to the EPL playing some nice football. But he's not what you'd call a proven winner at the highest level. Far from it.
    You’re living in NewYork the home of many Billionaires, surely you can find someone to buy out Tan and give you a place on the board to bring in Eddie!

Quote Originally Posted by Ianto13 View Post
    You’re living in NewYork the home of many Billionaires, surely you can find someone to buy out Tan and give you a place on the board to bring in Eddie!
    I'll go over Mike Bloomberg's house after work and see if he's up for it.