+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chinese Curry

Chinese Curry

it should be sued under the trades description act

Its basically beef in a mild, curry flavoured gravy

Shocking stuff

Re: Chinese Curry

I've never had it, or wanted to have it, cos it just seems wrong on many levels.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post

Shocking stuff
    I thought it’s what you always order?

What about Thai curry?

Quote Originally Posted by The Bob Banker Spanker View Post
    I thought it’s what you always order?
    Beef fried rice , spring rolls , beef with noodles

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    What about Thai curry?
    bearable

Butter chicken is my current bit on the side 😋

What about Thai curry?
    Not for me, been to Thailand, bloody awful.

Shocking stuff
    I was offered Irish curry the other day in a chip shop , I quickly contacted my local MP.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    I was offered Irish curry the other day in a chip shop , I quickly contacted my local MP.
    I've seen "Irish Curry" on the menu at bars over here occasionally. It's chicken in curry sauce, like you get on Caroline Street.

It's quite simple, if you want decent curry, go to a curry house, if you want decent chips , go to a fish and chip shop. They simply can't do both. Chinese only do chinky food any good.
    (Although you would think the chips would be easy?)

Quote Originally Posted by barrybloo View Post
    It's quite simple, if you want decent curry, go to a curry house, if you want decent chips , go to a fish and chip shop. They simply can't do both. Chinese only do chinky food any good.
    (Although you would think the chips would be easy?)
    I always liked chips from a Chinese takeout. Soy sauce and vinegar. Lush.

Do you realise that the word "curry" merely means "sauce"

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    Doesn't curry come from the curry tree?

By the way, sushi is rice and not the seafood that may accompany it.

That is sometimes disputed. I think you are referring to the suggestion that it stems from the Tamil word Kari, which apparently means black pepper. This makes most sense to me as Indians flavoured their food with pepper, until chillies were imported to the sub continent (apparently!). But it is also argued that it stems from the word karahi/kadhai which is a type of cooking pot or wok, hence chicken karahi in restaurants. Another theory is that it stems from an old English word "cury" which describes "cookery" and in turn is taken from an old French word "cuire". Who knows? It may even be a mixture of all 3 but, for sure, colonialists returned to the UK speaking of "curry".

Then what is curry sauce?

I always liked chips from a Chinese takeout. Soy sauce and vinegar. Lush.
    Chips from the Chinese take away are generally crap. Unless they use a proper chip shop fryer. Chinese and English take aways combined are the best of both worlds.

So what is balti and masala then ?

Did balti not originate in the Birmingham curry quarter ?

And is masala a dish invented for the British?

I've seen "Irish Curry" on the menu at bars over here occasionally. It's chicken in curry sauce, like you get on Caroline Street.
    Irish curry here is similar to the fruity chip shop curry but with a twang, it's more salty with some extra flavour and without the fruity bits.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    Irish curry here is similar to the fruity chip shop curry but with a twang, it's more salty with some extra flavour and without the fruity bits.
    They can get rid of that fruity chip shop curry as far as I am concerned

There is a chippy called Harvey's in Barry run by an Indian fella who does a poncey fruity curry or his own spicy sauce , its an absolute belter

So what is balti and masala then ?

Did balti not originate in the Birmingham curry quarter ?

And is masala a dish invented for the British?
    Yes the Pakistani immigrants set up cafes for the local population back in the 70s. Balti translates to bucket and is the name of the dish that it is both cooked and served in. It has a flatter bottom than similar vessels and the method of balti cooking is similar to stir fry. A real balti from Birmingham cannot be replicated outside of the area in my opinion, and can definitely not be found in South Wales. In the late 80s there were so many good balti houses both inside and outside of the Balti Triangle (an area formed by 3 roads) - Adil’s, Sher Kahn, Royal Alfaisel, Shabab’s, Shereen Kadah, Balti Paradise, Azim’s and more...

Masala means mix or spice mix. A curry powder is a spice mixture. Garam means hot so garam masala is hot spice mix.

The famous chicken tikka masala was supposedly invented when a British diner found their dish too dry and wanted sauce so a chef added a tin of tomato soup and cream. It’s very similar to butter chicken which was “invented” at the Moti Mohal in Delhi.

Then what is curry sauce?
    Gravy isnt it?

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    I had Irish curry and chips from one of the shops up here - not bad, say, six out of ten.

Pretty sure it didn’t have many of the ingredients in this recipe and I’m glad it didn’t.

https://www.irishcentral.com/culture...ry-sauce-chips

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Dargavel View Post
    Yes the Pakistani immigrants set up cafes for the local population back in the 70s. Balti translates to bucket and is the name of the dish that it is both cooked and served in. It has a flatter bottom than similar vessels and the method of balti cooking is similar to stir fry. A real balti from Birmingham cannot be replicated outside of the area in my opinion, and can definitely not be found in South Wales. In the late 80s there were so many good balti houses both inside and outside of the Balti Triangle (an area formed by 3 roads) - Adil’s, Sher Kahn, Royal Alfaisel, Shabab’s, Shereen Kadah, Balti Paradise, Azim’s and more...

Masala means mix or spice mix. A curry powder is a spice mixture. Garam means hot so garam masala is hot spice mix.

The famous chicken tikka masala was supposedly invented when a British diner found their dish too dry and wanted sauce so a chef added a tin of tomato soup and cream. It’s very similar to butter chicken which was “invented” at the Moti Mohal in Delhi.
    Considering Cardiff has a large bangladeshi community and quite a sizeable Pakistani one I am surprised it doesn't have more decent curry houses and indeed a curry triangle or mile like Manchester, Birmingham do

I used to live in Bradford and the Asian community is so widespread its all over the city so no real curry quarter

In Cardiff I suppose we have city road , Albany Road, Crwys Road area but thats it really

They can get rid of that fruity chip shop curry as far as I am concerned

There is a chippy called Harvey's in Barry run by an Indian fella who does a poncey fruity curry or his own spicy sauce , its an absolute belter
    Harvey's is one of the best chip shops I've been to. Although, there's always a queue there so I usually go to Irene's which is also good.

Harvey's is one of the best chip shops I've been to. Although, there's always a queue there so I usually go to Irene's which is also good.
    lovely guy who runs Harvey's

Steak and kidney pie , chips , hot curry sauce 😋

Refuse to go into Irene's, spurs shirt on the wall

I am not having that