+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eddie Howe

Eddie Howe

I think it's a given that the manager is out of his depth and cannot at this stage do anything which will improve the situation. That's very unfortunate but true.

Unless the chairman has understandably also concluded that there's nothing more he could do to achieve success for this club, then a change is inevitable ,and there's no point bothering to do that unless he gets an effective manager who knows what he's trying to do and has some idea how to go about that sucessfully.

Seems obvious to me that Eddie Howe is not only the ideal choice, but as far as I can see , the ONLY man available who fits the job description.

What do people think of this idea?

Re: Eddie Howe

It would seem a good choice if the club aims to build something. But I don't think that Tan is willing to make that kind of commitment. My feeling is that he thinks he's done enough and that the club should already be successful. It's pretty obvious that he had no idea what he was getting into when he came to the club. I think he thought that all he needed to do was could throw a few quid at, and soon he would be having after match drinks in the Old Trafford boardroom. Many millions of pounds later and look where we are.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    It would seem a good choice if the club aims to build something. But I don't think that Tan is willing to make that kind of commitment. My feeling is that he thinks he's done enough and that the club should already be successful. It's pretty obvious that he had no idea what he was getting into when he came to the club. I think he thought that all he needed to do was could throw a few quid at, and soon he would be having after match drinks in the Old Trafford boardroom. Many millions of pounds later and look where we are.
    So maybe he has learnt you buy cheap you buy twice, or in football terms waste millions and flounder around the championship......
    You know a decent manager could sort this squad out.

The way i see it is, Tan has only 2 choices. He either lets the club rumble on in the way it has the last few seasons, and ends up selling at a massive loss, or he once again throws some cash in to get another promotion, then sells it at a lesser loss.
    He’s never gonna make a profit here now.
    Not unless we become a top 6 club, and we all know there’s more chance of Sludge getting his nat king than that happening!

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    I think it's a given that the manager is out of his depth and cannot at this stage do anything which will improve the situation. That's very unfortunate but true.

Unless the chairman has understandably also concluded that there's nothing more he could do to achieve success for this club, then a change is inevitable ,and there's no point bothering to do that unless he gets an effective manager who knows what he's trying to do and has some idea how to go about that sucessfully.

Seems obvious to me that Eddie Howe is not only the ideal choice, but as far as I can see , the ONLY man available who fits the job description.

What do people think of this idea?

Not sure Howe would be interested but one thing I would say to many posters who are arguing to keep Harris until the end of the season, is why ?
    If you intend to move him on then do it immediately as opposed to later. It provides any new manager with a few months to work with the squad. You never know, a few players who we think are rubbish, might flourish under new coaching or direction.

There is no way Eddie Howe would join Cardiff City.

I don't buy into the idea Tan didn't know what he was getting into. He's a very succesful businessman that's taken the club to the premiership twice in his time here.
    Maybe he's tightening the strings the same has most businesses have during these tough times.

Quote Originally Posted by stan butler View Post
    I don't buy into the idea Tan didn't know what he was getting into. He's a very succesful businessman that's taken the club to the premiership twice in his time here.
    Maybe he's tightening the strings the same has most businesses have during these tough times.
    Vincent Tan made his money through dodgy government deals. He's also lost a ton of it. Whether you buy into it or not, it's pretty obvious that Tan had no idea about the game, the league, players, agents, the fanbase etc etc.

Best thing for Tan to do now is go out spend millions end up like Derby or Sheffield Wednesday to keep all the fans happy. Can’t believe some on here expect him to put more money in, apparently he’s putting in £1million a month to keep the Club afloat, friggin’ unbelievable.

Eddie Howe will believe that he is next in line for the Newcastle job (or at least at that level)

There is no way he would drop to a Club with zero ambition.

How can you say there's no ambition when he's built that training facility, spent so much and got into the premiership twice?

Of course there's ambition and considerable success , but it's not an easy ladder to climb.

I'd say the current manager was an ambitious appointment , thinking he had the ability to consolidate and progress. Not so as it turns out, but it's reasonable to say that a manager with some vision , tactics and clear intent is the one missing piece. We certainly had that in Sir Neil Warnock , but he reached his personal " glass ceiling " and couldn't take it to the next stage.

Howe has proved that he can do exactly that , getting promotion then upping the standard to stay there. He's made it clear that he'd only return to management to undertake a similar project, so maybe it's the perfect fit for him too.

Whoever does it has got all the tools available and the right man should be able to use them effectively.

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    How can you say there's no ambition when he's built that training facility, spent so much and got into the premiership twice?

Of course there's ambition and considerable success , but it's not an easy ladder to climb.

I'd say the current manager was an ambitious appointment , thinking he had the ability to consolidate and progress. Not so as it turns out, but it's reasonable to say that a manager with some vision , tactics and clear intent is the one missing piece. We certainly had that in Sir Neil Warnock , but he reached his personal " glass ceiling " and couldn't take it to the next stage.

Howe has proved that he can do exactly that , getting promotion then upping the standard to stay there. He's made it clear that he'd only return to management to undertake a similar project, so maybe it's the perfect fit for him too.

Whoever does it has got all the tools available and the right man should be able to use them effectively.
    What training facility is that?

I had chat with a Bournemouth player some time ago & his opinion is that Howe wanted to stay “local” and will wait for a job at somewhere like Southampton, Brighton or Palace

If Harris goes we will only have the option of working with the likes of Tony Pulis, Mike Flynn, Sol Campbell, Joey Barton or someone else who is desperate for a job. No manager with any ambition will risk their reputation with us with the possibility of intervention from Tan. Also, having ploughed millions into the club and achieved two promotions, Tan must surely have little appetite for more significant investment given the fact that the fan base remains so divided in their opinion of him.

Quote Originally Posted by Grangenders View Post
    If Harris goes we will only have the option of working with the likes of Tony Pulis, Mike Flynn, Sol Campbell, Joey Barton or someone else who is desperate for a job. No manager with any ambition will risk their reputation with us with the possibility of intervention from Tan. Also, having ploughed millions into the club and achieved two promotions, Tan must surely have little appetite for more significant investment given the fact that the fan base remains so divided in their opinion of him.
    This ^^^^

Knowing our luck we’d end up with Mick McCarthy

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    I had chat with a Bournemouth player some time ago & his opinion is that Howe wanted to stay “local” and will wait for a job at somewhere like Southampton, Brighton or Palace
    I think he’s ideal replacement for Hodgson at Palace who isn’t getting any younger.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    I don’t believe we’d get Howe anyway but Cardiff is hardly a million miles away from Bournemouth/Southampton

There is no chance of getting Eddie Howe.

Of course Eddie Howe would come here .......
    Theres only 20 top club jobs half wouldn't employ Howe (top 10 + a few more)
    So probably 6 clubs might look at him?
    So his next club his highly likely to be a Championship Club...........so onto us as an attractive next step............
    Look at it from the outside......

Promoted twice to the top flight
    Lost in a playoff final
    Lost in a F.A. Cup Final
    Lost in a League Cup Final
    Lost in a couple of semi final playoff finals
    Got a Billionaire owner who is willing to spend money and has invested in the Club for 10 years or more
    Eddie Howe would come here plus others if the Club wanted them.
    Last edited by Its been emotional; 10-01-21 at 17:19. Reason: Spelling

That's quite right. It's an attractive job for most managers.
    Certainly a better proposition on the face of it than Bournemouth at the time.

It's unfortunate that some people insist upon rubbishing the club. No, it's not Liverpool or Spurs, but in terms of potential is up there.
    Supporters of most clubs would be more than delighted to have what we've got and the recent record of this club.

No, there's no reason why he wouldn't come here, so we should get on with it because I really can't think of a better candidate.

Vincent Tan made his money through dodgy government deals. He's also lost a ton of it. Whether you buy into it or not, it's pretty obvious that Tan had no idea about the game, the league, players, agents, the fanbase etc etc.
    Best chairman we've ever had, whatever the alleged dodgy deals ( love to see the evidence) , yes he was nieve , however he has stayed loyal unlike a lot of other foreign owners who have used clubs , and then dumped and destroyed them .

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Best chairman we've ever had, whatever the alleged dodgy deals ( love to see the evidence) , yes he was nieve , however he has stayed loyal unlike a lot of other foreign owners who have used clubs , and then dumped and destroyed them .
    When you say "unlike a lot of other foreign owners" which do you have in mind? Portsmouth, Wigan and Bolton come to mind, but that isn't a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    When you say "unlike a lot of other foreign owners" which do you have in mind? Portsmouth, Wigan and Bolton come to mind, but that isn't a lot.
    Hull

Regardless how he made his money he's no mug in the business world. Yes it was pretty obvious he didn't have much idea regarding the game, the league, players, agents, the fanbase.
    If he was that sorry of buying Cardiff and bored of owning Cardiff i think he would have and could have sold us at a loss.
    Like most clubs we are running at a loss but he's kept us afloat just because he didn't turn up to games pre covid or isn't spending millions don't mean he's fed up or looking to sell.
    I doubt the big noises of Asda and Mcdonalds turn up at Coryton

Quote Originally Posted by stan butler View Post
    Regardless how he made his money he's no mug in the business world. Yes it was pretty obvious he didn't have much idea regarding the game, the league, players, agents, the fanbase.
    If he was that sorry of buying Cardiff and bored of owning Cardiff i think he would have and could have sold us at a loss.
    Like most clubs we are running at a loss but he's kept us afloat just because he didn't turn up to games pre covid or isn't spending millions don't mean he's fed up or looking to sell.
    I doubt the big noises of Asda and Mcdonalds turn up at Coryton
    What's that got to do with anything? I'm just saying that I don't think he's going to make a big investment in a new manager with big ideas. However, I will be absolutely ecstatic to be proved wrong.