+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: George Smith ( former City player)

George Smith ( former City player)

At the end of TOBW's book he mentioned the above who played with is for a couple of seasons 72-74.
    I saw every home game that year but I have no recollection of him.
    Can someone jog my failing memory with any highlights from his career with us?
    Ps I have checked wiki so I know he exists 😀

Re: George Smith ( former City player)

He's the fella that vicked the directors after being sent off in what turned out to be his last game for us I think.Other than that I remember nothing else about him.

Fair haired. Box to box midfielder. Bit of a dog from what I remember of him.

Quote Originally Posted by sneggyblubird View Post
    He's the fella that vicked the directors after being sent off in what turned out to be his last game for us I think.Other than that I remember nothing else about him.
    What game was that?

Quote Originally Posted by Cyncoed Slumdog View Post
    Fair haired. Box to box midfielder. Bit of a dog from what I remember of him.
    Yes, I've got a vague picture of a fair haired guy.

Quote Originally Posted by sneggyblubird View Post
    I don't think he was sent off when he gave the Vs, I believe he was being subbed in what was an awful 0-0 draw with Sheffield Wednesday who finished bottom that season - both teams went down and it was easy to see why.

I've just looked it up and he played once more for us (in a game at Southampton where our relegation was confirmed), but, you're right really, his days were numbered after he lost it when he was subbed. Maybe, it was his really blond hair which made him stand out, but I was always impressed by him when he played against us for Middlesbrough and Birmingham, but he was rubbish for us, albeit in a poor team, after we paid a big fee (£40,000) for him.

The website I checked him on said he was "excellent" in his early matches for us, but that's not how I remember it. To be fair, Jimmy Scoular, who signed Smith, was sacked some three months later and, judging by the number of matches he played after that, neither Frank O'Farrell or Jimmy Andrews rated him much. One other thing from that website, apparently he didn't just flick the Vs that day, he also took his shirt off as he was leaving the field and chucked it into the City dug out.

Yes he was a tough tacking midfielder and was not very good for us. His days at that level seemed over. He was freed in the summer of 1975 and went to Swansea and later Hartlepool. I saw some of the games and he reminded me of our current midfield...ineffective. However, prior to joining us he did OK. £40k lost though. He did Ok at Swansea though and I think he won promotion with them?

You can see him in action here, providing an assist for a brilliant goal at 2.40.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iYY...ffCityClassics

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    You can see him in action here, providing an assist for a brilliant goal at 2.40.

Did you really have to play that game TOBW?

Hilarious to see the players protest the penalty like it was harsh. Even the commentator sounded a little surprised.

I remember Parsons having a nightmare but had completely forgotten he saved a penalty in that game.
    Funny to see Don Murray pushing their player over right next to the ref and nothing being said. Straight red these days.

Not a bad goal I suppose

I don't think he was sent off when he gave the Vs, I believe he was being subbed in what was an awful 0-0 draw with Sheffield Wednesday who finished bottom that season - both teams went down and it was easy to see why.

I've just looked it up and he played once more for us (in a game at Southampton where our relegation was confirmed), but, you're right really, his days were numbered after he lost it when he was subbed. Maybe, it was his really blond hair which made him stand out, but I was always impressed by him when he played against us for Middlesbrough and Birmingham, but he was rubbish for us, albeit in a poor team, after we paid a big fee (£40,000) for him.

The website I checked him on said he was "excellent" in his early matches for us, but that's not how I remember it. To be fair, Jimmy Scoular, who signed Smith, was sacked some three months later and, judging by the number of matches he played after that, neither Frank O'Farrell or Jimmy Andrews rated him much. One other thing from that website, apparently he didn't just flick the Vs that day, he also took his shirt off as he was leaving the field and chucked it into the City dug out.
    Got subbed and tore his shirt off and threw it down in front of the manager. Literally a disgrace to the shirt!

Wouldn't it be great for high quality, colour recordings of this era? I was probably on the Grange End as a 16 year old watching this game with some of my all time favourites on the pitch.

Thanks TOBW for sharing the video, TIB

Quote Originally Posted by Taffy Blue in Berkshire View Post
    Wouldn't it be great for high quality, colour recordings of this era? I was probably on the Grange End as a 16 year old watching this game with some of my all time favourites on the pitch.

Thanks TOBW for sharing the video, TIB
    It may not be high quality but there is this colour recording of our match v Sunderland played a couple of months after that Middlesbrough game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7p9HIM-Jvo

Thanks for the replies, guys. Can just about remember him, but he really doesnt stand out for me, unlike many others from that era.

A long career in the game according to Wikipedia- I recall him being uninspiring and generally poor for City.

I remember him playing when I first started going with my father in the early 70's. Pretty sure I actually saw him score but it must have been a rare goal. The side at that time were struggling to avoid relegation and relied on the likes of Gil Reece and Johnny Vincent to score the goals. Think Andy McCulloch was around that time but it may have been later. Such a long time ago now

Quote Originally Posted by BINGE THINKING View Post
    It may not be high quality but there is this colour recording of our match v Sunderland played a couple of months after that Middlesbrough game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7p9HIM-Jvo
    Cheers for the link.