+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Benkovic- they hardly spoke to me at Cardiff.

Re: Benkovic- they hardly spoke to me at Cardiff.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Why Jurssey wasn't being a tosser, he said that Pack was brilliant at centre back when he played there on occasion. I can see it, too. I think he could do a decent job there, provided it is alongside Nelson!
    Pack in a back three would be an idea worth trying I reckon, but when? You couldn't do it in a league game, given how our previous attempts to play with three at the back have gone.

We may as well play all 11 in defence Saturday, it won't make any difference to our goals scored record and we can play Harris press conference bingo, knowing most of the tired old phrases being used, sloppy defending, concentration levels, I demand more.
    Maybe there should be a chart published with scores against the phrase used like scrabble
    50 point bonus if he chucks in "Does Neil Harris like that"
    The only thing this clown should be doing is picking up the train time table for the Cardiff to Paddington line

From the cameo I seen I thought he’d be OK at DM but not as centre back.

He’s admitted his biggest fault there, his awareness. He has all the physical attributes but not the the mental ones.

I was not impressed with him when I saw him

Looking in from outside the club it doesn't look like he was treated great to be fair.

Being brought in on loan to play games he would have had an expectation to play, at least some part. Doesn't seem he felt he was communicated with also.

Then to play one game, his first in months and be publicly called out on his mistakes by the manager.

Whatever the reasons, it was a complete waste of everyone's time.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Pack in a back three would be an idea worth trying I reckon, but when? You couldn't do it in a league game, given how our previous attempts to play with three at the back have gone.
    I think if Pack didn't play centre back on Saturday, he won't play there this week! I hope he doesn't rush back Morrison (and Moore) like he did with Bennett and Osei-Tutu. We'll really be in a bit of bother if they're out for much longer.

Re Citizen's Nephew, Harris made a mistake signing him. All managers do it. Ferguson signed Bebe, Kleberson, Bellion, Obertan etc. Harris clearly thinks he's awful. It's a bad signing but on the whole, he's got more right than wrong which is a lot better than can said for our previous manager. He also had to sign someone to allow Flint to leave. He was brought in out of necessity and it didn't go well. I think there's a reason he's gone to their owner's feeder club, rather than anyone else...

Re Citizen's Nephew, Harris made a mistake signing him. All managers do it. Ferguson signed Bebe, Kleberson, Bellion, Obertan etc. Harris clearly thinks he's awful. It's a bad signing but on the whole, he's got more right than wrong which is a lot better than can said for our previous manager. He also had to sign someone to allow Flint to leave. He was brought in out of necessity and it didn't go well. I think there's a reason he's gone to their owner's feeder club, rather than anyone else...
    Yes I agree with this. Looking in to comments made by both Harris and Rodgers there seems to be an underlying issue with the player. Obviously they are not going to come out and say what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    Yes I agree with this. Looking in to comments made by both Harris and Rodgers there seems to be an underlying issue with the player. Obviously they are not going to come out and say what it is.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51638663

Yet another manager openly criticising Benkovic

However, Benkovic and Henriksen were both substituted at half-time - and Johnson was critical of his new arrivals after the game.

"I think a couple of the new players need to have a look at themselves for different reasons and quickly get into the programme," he said.

Celtic opinion piece on them missing out on Benkovic last month:

https://celtic.vitalfootball.co.uk/r...itless-gamble/

Benkovic eventually chose Leuven and cited that “Here I want to make a fresh start and find my best form.”. Fast forward a month and four fixtures later and Benkovic has not featured in a single fixture for the Belgian mid table side who have won only one fixture in their last four.

It was a gamble and Benkovic probably felt he would have waltzed right into the Belgian side, but unfortunately for him, he has struggled to earn a place in the starting eleven. It is reminiscent of his days at Cardiff City where he only managed one appearance during his ill fated loan spell.

This also begs the question. Did Celtic dodge a bullet in not signing the big Croat as he appears to struggle to break into any side since his £12m move from Dinamo Zagreb to Leicester City?

More evidence, if it is needed, that Filip was not the answer!

I do feel just keeping Brown would have been the easier solution if I'm honest.

I think Harris signings individually have been pretty decent. Although I'm not sure he has always spent or loaned in the correct areas.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Celtic opinion piece on them missing out on Benkovic last month:

https://celtic.vitalfootball.co.uk/r...itless-gamble/

Benkovic eventually chose Leuven and cited that “Here I want to make a fresh start and find my best form.”. Fast forward a month and four fixtures later and Benkovic has not featured in a single fixture for the Belgian mid table side who have won only one fixture in their last four.

It was a gamble and Benkovic probably felt he would have waltzed right into the Belgian side, but unfortunately for him, he has struggled to earn a place in the starting eleven. It is reminiscent of his days at Cardiff City where he only managed one appearance during his ill fated loan spell.

This also begs the question. Did Celtic dodge a bullet in not signing the big Croat as he appears to struggle to break into any side since his £12m move from Dinamo Zagreb to Leicester City?

More evidence, if it is needed, that Filip was not the answer!
    Odd that he's not even playing there, I think they're owned by Leicester. I wonder what's next for him? If him not getting near our side was a wake up call, this certainly needs to be one!

Rodgers and Harris hinted at his demeanour in training, so maybe there is an issue with him? Some players just never maintain they're form and quickly drop down the leagues and it looks like he is one who promised much but has delivered very little. Remember Lee Jarman when he was going to be the next big thing, ended up being released by City.

After watching his cameo for us it's clear

Nothing wrong with him as a footballer apart from he couldn't give a shit.

His passing was good, quite strong quite quick.

Did not look the slightest bit bothered to get to the ball

Glad he's gone if i'm honest , the cryptic comments from his past managers suggest an attitude problem ,what manager in his right mind is going to pick him above someone making a real effort however less skilled IE nelson.

He's probably chuffed on his 10 /15k a week and not having to try.

Lucky escapee actually for him anyways as big Mick would have frightened him to death .

Finished the season with a grand total of 70 minutes football. Didn't play a single minute for Leuven, who finished 11th.

Finished the season with a grand total of 70 minutes football. Didn't play a single minute for Leuven, who finished 11th.
    I'm not surprised at this, we'll probably sign him in the summer!!

Perhaps he just needs a run of games. Hes big, strong, quick and can pass the ball, but there's clearly something not quite right as he keeps going out on loan and not playing.

He's still young for a centre back, so perhaps he can turn it around

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    I'm not surprised at this, we'll probably sign him in the summer!!
    He has another 2 years left on his contract at Leicester apparently

Strange one.

He has all the attributes of a solid modern defender: quick, good passer, strong etc but just doesn't seem to fall for him does it.

He's gonna issue a restraining order on you if you carry on like this!