+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Football rivalry insignificant

Football rivalry insignificant

I was fuming when we lost to Swansea and would honestly choose beating them twice over promotion but..... Even I got over the loss much quicker than I have previously.

Is it because I'm approaching 41? Is it because football without fans is pants? Is it because our current football is painfully depressing? Is it Covid putting life into perspective? Is it all of the above?

Anyone else feeling like this? Football is just not a priority in my life anymore and there was a time when I was younger that it was my entire life.

Re: Football rivalry insignificant

Covid more than likely, put many things into perspective.
    Glad live sport is being shown, not sure for how long this will continue mind.
    40?? Still shitt'n yeller mun
    All quite normal there.

Taking beating Swansea twice over promotion? Make an appointment with your GP

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Covid more than likely, put many things into perspective.
    Glad live sport is being shown, not sure for how long this will continue mind.
    40?? Still shitt'n yeller mun
    All quite normal there.

Taking beating Swansea twice over promotion? Make an appointment with your GP
    I've argued that point about Swansea to death so won't get into it 🤣 but yes Covid has definitely had a profound effect on me, as it has everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    I was fuming when we lost to Swansea and would honestly choose beating them twice over promotion but..... Even I got over the loss much quicker than I have previously.

Is it because I'm approaching 41? Is it because football without fans is pants? Is it because our current football is painfully depressing? Is it Covid putting life into perspective? Is it all of the above?

Anyone else feeling like this? Football is just not a priority in my life anymore and there was a time when I was younger that it was my entire life.
    Seem to recall we had a conversation a little while back about the Swansea defeat. I knew you would get over it eventually !

Seriously though, all the points you make are valid reasons why it is probably easier for many people to accept defeat nowadays, even against our bitter rivals.

The older you get, the more you are able to put things into perspective anyway but as you say, Covid has brought this more clearly into focus.

In effect, the 'passion' you once felt for the club has diminished slightly I would imagine and judging by other's comments on here you're almost certainly not alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    Seem to recall we had a conversation a little while back about the Swansea defeat. I knew you would get over it eventually !

Seriously though, all the points you make are valid reasons why it is probably easier for many people to accept defeat nowadays, even against our bitter rivals.

The older you get, the more you are able to put things into perspective anyway but as you say, Covid has brought this more clearly into focus.

In effect, the 'passion' you once felt for the club has diminished slightly I would imagine and judging by other's comments on here you're almost certainly not alone.
    Yeah we did mate and you were right.

For me the thing is that there is a lot to admire about Swansea. They play good football, sell their best players but still perform and they have a manager that gets his team to plays the way we would like to see at Cardiff. I hope they get promoted and I think they possibly will.

It's because we're shit and Swansea obviously have a better team, a better manager, and play better football.

Swansea can naff right off

I’m the opposite to you, I’ve spent a lifetime being pretty philosophical about defeats like the Cup Final losses and the Blackpool Play Off defeat, but, like you, I was fuming after the Swansea game and I still get annoyed about it now. I’m not sure it’s got much to do with COVID except that in some ways City mean more to me these days because they can represent an escape from all of the misery and crap for a while. In the main though, it was because, for the third time in four games in what is supposed to be a fierce local derby, we were as meek as kittens as Swansea showed us that they are currently a far better team and club than us on so many levels, despite the fact that we should really have quite a few advantages over them.

I think it is most of those things and football not being what it was for me too.

I feel the exact same way. If I didn't have mates I saw and had a few beers with I'd probably knock it on the head. It just doesn't hold the same joy it did for me for so many years.