+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I Hope This Isn't True

I Hope This Isn't True

Cardiff City begin talks with three STARS! whose deals expire this season.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...wsApp_AppShare

Re: I Hope This Isn't True

I'm all for rejuvenating the squad, but as long as the deals aren't too long or too expensive, this actually makes plenty of sense.

If we can get bennett for another year and hoilet then we can concentrate on other positions we need in the summer.

As it stands we will need

Right back
    Right wing
    Left back
    Left wing
    Centre back

All before we can even think about having a bit more sparkle in midfield.
    If we can take 2 of those problems off the table, even for a year then it would be understandable.

Why not?

Harris - everyone wanted academy players/graduates involved.

Bennett - a solid lb at this level.

Hoilett - could still be a useful squad player, lost some of the impact he once had. Good servant though and wouldn't surprise me if he stayed or moved on.

what I hope we don't get is Bennett and hoilett on another 3 year deal each, with big wages

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    what I hope we don't get is Bennett and hoilett on another 3 year deal each, with big wages
    Warnock has gone so hopefully we won't

That's the problem.
    I can't see them signing a one year deal and I also think Hoillett's legs are gone and Bennett is a poor defender. Easy decision for me, I'd let them go as part of a restructure, particularly as they're both on Warnock wages.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyncoed Slumdog View Post
    That's the problem.
    I can't see them signing a one year deal and I also think Hoillett's legs are gone and Bennett is a poor defender. Easy decision for me, I'd let them go as part of a restructure, particularly as they're both on Warnock wages.
    It makes sense to have the discussion though.
    If wages are sensible and the contract not too long then I think they could both have something to offer still.

I'm all for rejuvenating the squad, but as long as the deals aren't too long or too expensive, this actually makes plenty of sense.

If we can get bennett for another year and hoilet then we can concentrate on other positions we need in the summer.

Right back
    Right wing
    Left back
    Left wing
    Centre back

If we can take 2 of those problems off the table, even for a year then it would be understandable.
    Id say wingers are nowhere near a priority.

Right back number 1 along with a centre back.

Then a striker then a creative midfielder.

We dont need a left back under any circumstances at the moment.

That's the problem.
    I think Hoillet will look to move on anyway.

I personally hope that it is true.

We know what we are dealing with regarding all 3 players and all, even MH in his limited game time, have shown that they deserve at least another year, maybe two.
    Our poor run(s) of form cannot be blamed on any of these three IMHO.

We do need to strengthen other areas though as have been suggested before on many occasions.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Id say wingers are nowhere near a priority.

Right back number 1 along with a centre back.

Then a striker then a creative midfielder.

We dont need a left back under any circumstances at the moment.
    As it stands, come the summer the only wingers we have at the club will be Josh Murphy and Gavin Whyte - both of whom are massively out of favour, and the only left back will be Joel Bagan who has played 3 games.

As much as it would be nice to address other areas, we have to fix these parts first.
    Right back clearly number 1 and we will also need a centre back.

Strikers we probably will keep what we have, in Moore, Glatzel and Harris that's not terrible for Championship level.

That's the problem.
    I agree with your assessment of both players. It was said earlier in this thread that Bennett is a "solid defender" - no, he's not! 'Solid defenders' don't make the number of mistakes that he does.

As it stands, come the summer the only wingers we have at the club will be Josh Murphy and Gavin Whyte - both of whom are massively out of favour, and the only left back will be Joel Bagan who has played 3 games.

As much as it would be nice to address other areas, we have to fix these parts first.
    Right back clearly number 1 and we will also need a centre back.

Strikers we probably will keep what we have, in Moore, Glatzel and Harris that's not terrible for Championship level.
    Last paragraph. I disagree. Without parachute payments Moore could be needed to generate cash. Wouldnt suprise me if he is sold. I dont think Glatzel or Harris are anywhere near good enough.

Agree about the wingers in the summer though. Thought you were talking this window. Where I think now we need a centre back as Morrison is out and with Moore out we have near enough no threat up front.

We're going to learn a lot this summer from which players are extended and for how long. Hopefully the two big names are willing to accept team friendly deals but think they are good ones to be speaking to.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Last paragraph. I disagree. Without parachute payments Moore could be needed to generate cash. Wouldnt suprise me if he is sold. I dont think Glatzel or Harris are anywhere near good enough.

Agree about the wingers in the summer though. Thought you were talking this window. Where I think now we need a centre back as Morrison is out and with Moore out we have near enough no threat up front.
    If Moore was sold then you'd have to assume we would buy a striker then.

This is clearly about planning for next season, as if any of these players sign an extension or not it doesn't make any difference to this season.

If Mark Harris wasn't a home-grown player I just wonder how keen people would be to sign him up. He looks decidedly average to me. League 1 at best.

That's the problem.
    Why does everyone keep saying that Hoilett's legs are gone? I have seen nothing to suggest this.

Right back
    Right wing
    Left back
    Left wing
    Centre back

I'd sign Bennett to a 2 year deal and Hoilett to a one year one. I wouldn't sign them to longer, or on big wages but they're not our biggest issues and we can't sign 15 players next summer! Hoilett is our best contracted winger and Bennett is fine. He's not as good as he was but everyone is playing poorly, so I'm happy to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Cardiff City begin talks with three STARS! whose deals expire this season.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...wsApp_AppShare
    The Western Mail and Echo have been referring to Cardiff players as "City stars" for as long as I can remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    I'd sign Bennett to a 2 year deal and Hoilett to a one year one. I wouldn't sign them to longer, or on big wages but they're not our biggest issues and we can't sign 15 players next summer! Hoilett is our best contracted winger and Bennett is fine. He's not as good as he was but everyone is playing poorly, so I'm happy to give him the benefit of the doubt.
    Sounds reasonable to me.

Makes sense to be fair. Get Bennett for another year or two as Bagan progresses. Hoilett is on the decline but can provide good cover and is one of our few technically decent players and Mark Harris has impressed and shown a lot more than players who cost millions

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    yeah I wouldn't be too disappointed with that outcome. you would have to wonder how good Bennett will be as he's approaching 33 as you don't see too many fullbacks at that age, but if he's not on massive wages then it isn't a huge problem.

I love watching Hoillett control a ball while many of those around him seem like very ordinary and unimpressive journeymen.

on the other hand, Blackburn are also going to be without both of their current first team left backs come the summer, and are looking to sign a really talented youngster instead.
    if he ends up costing them 600k ish then we could easily save the majority of that in the difference between his and Bennett and Cunningham's wages, if not all of it.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    The Western Mail and Echo have been referring to Cardiff players as "City stars" for as long as I can remember.
    I remember being in town the one day and the Western Mail & Echo newspaper stand read... "City sign Manchester United star"..... it was Derek Brazil.

He'd made all of two appearances for Utd's first team.