+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Bellamy on coaching, recruiting, Anderlecht and Cardiff

Bellamy on coaching, recruiting, Anderlecht and Cardiff

Another excellent interview/article from VFTN

https://viewfromtheninian.com/2021/0...y-on-coaching/

Extracts:

Having now worked for one of the best academies in the world, with the benefit of hindsight, how do you reflect on your time at Cardiff’s academy?

At Cardiff, there was always this underlying idea that the kids are not good enough. We don’t have enough good players. I never saw anything to suggest that they weren’t good enough. All I saw was top, top young players. We were winning tournaments at under-8, under-9 and Under-10, but then I found that at 16, 17, 18, they’re not progressing. Facilities are non-existent, but facilities don’t make players. It’s the mentality and how they train. People take shortcuts and you’re not going to make it in the game that way.

You’ve got to be good, but your attitude also has to be good. If you want to get better, you will love me as a coach. I will work you day in, day out because I want to get better too. That’s why I get up in the morning. For some players, its too hard for them and they’ll try to take the easy way out. If you want to do that, no problem, off you go, but you have more chance of succeeding in life by doing things properly.

Good parents, good kid. You see it all the time. I used to go with the under-eight’s and under-seven’s because I loved that coaching. It was enjoyable, but as you go through the ages, the standards and the discipline have to keep going. Dealing with the boys that were 16 and under was a doddle. When they get to 18, now it’s becoming serious.

What come out in the papers about me was crap and a parent can see whatever they want to. I had to do an FA course about my use of language around 18-year-old players. I didn’t know you weren’t allowed to swear in conversation. Now, I work with Vinny every day and the way he speaks to our players, back home, that would be an FA hearing!

Also, when you have an ex-manager and his wife goes through every forum, if your name keeps popping up, it goes back to him. Get rid of your threats. The older guys know every trick in the book and that’s why I wanted to work in youth football. I wasn’t sure if I even wanted to be a coach, but I loved it.

In terms of how you departed the club, do you think you’ve burned any bridges? Has your relationship with the club been damaged?

The club is way more important than me. They know the work I did and the level of coach I am. Also, higher up with the likes of Steve Borley, I’ll always have a connection with Cardiff. I never say never, but where we are in football terms is different. We see the game differently. Would the way I want to play be possible at Cardiff? It would take years, and you don’t get years.

Cardiff are in a situation now that loads of clubs are in. Not so far away from the promised land, doing whatever it takes to get there, then worrying about everything else a year later. Running a club on a year to year basis, hiring managers that way and bringing in players for that moment. Not worrying about development or pathways because kids are inconsistent and you haven’t got time for that. Signing players of a certain age because you haven’t got to worry about their sell-on value. That’s someone else’s problem.

Neil Harris is an ambitious guy, but he’s got to play the hand he’s been dealt and he’s struggling with it.

Neil Harris is going to need time. I like Neil as a person, but I haven’t had the opportunity to watch Cardiff recently. You can all want him out, but who else is there?

Well, everyone would want you!

Ha! What I would want to put in place would take too long. You wouldn’t have the patience for it!

Re: Bellamy on coaching, recruiting, Anderlecht and Cardiff

I've just read the article as you were starting this thread, fascinating stuff. What would also be fascinating would be to hear someone in authority at Cardiff City explain what their plan is currently besides "get back into the Premier League at all costs", because it seems so obvious where we're going wrong.

Very good insight into him, doesn’t look like he’ll be at City in the near or distant future.

I totally agree with what he’s saying.
    My sons (9 & 7) are coached in a similar way - that attitude is the most important thing and it’s drilled into them, week in, week out.
    The ones that don’t display the right attitude are out, as there’s a long list of boys and some girls waiting to take their place.

It seems that everything that makes Bellamy seem a good choice as City manager are the very things that stop him ever being so.

I don't think Bellamy is that interested in Cardiff City

He's a Cardiff boy , like Bale , but that's where it ends really

Interesting what he says about the ex manager and his wife going through the forum and the old guy getting rid of threats.

I’d say that was a dig at Warnock myself.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post

So what? Since when did you have to be a die hard fan to be involved with a football club?

I would like to see Bellamy as manager but if he filled the team with kids and we were going down would we have the patience to stand by and give him time - I think not!

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post

He doesn't sign for us in the Championship twice, or smile when we scored against his side if he doesn't care.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Interesting what he says about the ex manager and his wife going through the forum and the old guy getting rid of threats.

A not so subtle dig at that!

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    He doesn't sign for us in the Championship twice, or smile when we scored against his side if he doesn't care.
    As well as coaching the kids for nothing

He's not a die hard fan, but he's clearly got an affinity with the club

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    As well as coaching the kids for nothing

He's not a die hard fan, but he's clearly got an affinity with the club
    Agreed. I think Bellamy cares more about Cardiff, rather than Cardiff City but they're pretty much hand in hand.

So what? Since when did you have to be a die hard fan to be involved with a football club?
    someone's had a bad day

Never mind love

He thinks it would take years to implement - I assume - a progressive and winning structure throughout the club. How many years - 3 to 5? That seems fine. Where does he think we're going in the meantime?

I was just about to post about that. What the hell does it mean?

"Also, when you have an ex-manager and his wife goes through every forum, if your name keeps popping up, it goes back to him. Get rid of your threats."

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I was just about to post about that. What the hell does it mean?

"Also, when you have an ex-manager and his wife goes through every forum, if your name keeps popping up, it goes back to him. Get rid of your threats."
    Warnock seeing Bellamy mentioned as his successor on the forums so was happy for an excuse to get him out of the club.