+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 17 of 24 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324 LastLast

Thread: How Many Vaccines In Wales Today ?

Re: How Many Vaccines In Wales Today ?

Bit of a concern that new cases rose to over six hundred, but there were more tests than what has become the norm and the rate of infection was still less than one in ten. Vaccines figure is up to 716,000 which I think means that there were a higher than usual amount done yesterday, while twenty five deaths is in line with the downward trend of this week.

https://public.tableau.com/profile/p...eadlinesummary

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    +1
    I'm not sure that being starved of funds is entirely the fault of the UK government. Some fault probably but not necessarily the total fault although it is really very difficult to establish that point. The money the WG receives from Westminster is unhypothecated; that means they can spend the cash they receive on anything they want. When I worked in that sector many years ago money was often taken from one element of expenditure to fund another. All Parties would do it so this isn't a criticism; I'm merely pointing out that it is difficult to establish.

As for Drakeford making a very good impression over the last 12 months I think that depends on the individual's political stance. Certainly at times during the process Wales has not done that well especially in terms of the number of cases which arguably is due in part to mistakes made. This article here is a snapshot and is probably not totally representative but does show at times things have not been that great:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-55302591

What can be said is that the vaccine roll out in Wales has been an unqualified success which didn't look as though it would be the case earlier on.

Quote Originally Posted by Former Labour leader View Post
    It is noticeable, even on this MB, which is generally fair minded, very little credit is being given to WG.
    I realise I am biased, but I dont think it unreasonable to say that Mark Drakeford has made a very good impression over the last 12 months, speaking with clarity and purpose (which is more than can be said for BJ), yet the one occasion when he slipped up- I think he was trying to be too honest- everyone jumps on him.
    For years of being criticised by Westminster over Welsh NHS it is great to see things going right for a change. The simple matter is Wales NHS has been starved of funds by Westminster for years, but this time money has been no object so the WG and NHS has been able to do the job properly without having one hand tied behind it's back.
    Nobody hates the Welsh more than the Welsh, some people will take any chance to complain about the "gravy train" in Cardiff Bay, but remain remarkably silent on the Westminster government handing out contract to their mates

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Bit of a concern that new cases rose to over six hundred, but there were more tests than what has become the norm and the rate of infection was still less than one in ten. Vaccines figure is up to 716,000 which I think means that there were a higher than usual amount done yesterday, while twenty five deaths is in line with the downward trend of this week.

I think there was a bit of catching up with test results, as the 600 odd were spread over a few days. I find it more useful to look at the graph of cases as the daily figure bounces around a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    I'm not sure that being starved of funds is entirely the fault of the UK government. Some fault probably but not necessarily the total fault although it is really very difficult to establish that point. The money the WG receives from Westminster is unhypothecated; that means they can spend the cash they receive on anything they want. When I worked in that sector many years ago money was often taken from one element of expenditure to fund another. All Parties would do it so this isn't a criticism; I'm merely pointing out that it is difficult to establish.

As for Drakeford making a very good impression over the last 12 months I think that depends on the individual's political stance. Certainly at times during the process Wales has not done that well especially in terms of the number of cases which arguably is due in part to mistakes made. This article here is a snapshot and is probably not totally representative but does show at times things have not been that great:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-55302591

What can be said is that the vaccine roll out in Wales has been an unqualified success which didn't look as though it would be the case earlier on.

The Welsh Assembly is nearly always slagged off and Drakeford is usually written off as a waste of space. He was hammered last month over that quote about holding back the vaccines. So I do think it’s only fair that he gets some praise for how speedily the most vulnerable have been vaccinated. As you say it’s by no means been perfect but he has generally been more cautious in his approach than the Tory Govt.

That line would be more justified if the WAG hadn’t been held solely to blame by many when it looked like things were going badly wrong on the vaccine front. It should go without saying that great credit goes to the NHS and all of the other parties that have helped to ensure the target was reached, but it’s hypocritical to hold a body responsible for something looking like going wrong and then not give it credit when everything turns out to be okay.
    Drakeford's stupid comments about 'not a sprint' etc seemed to be the stimulus WG needed to get a move on, all be it through the adverse publicity it generated. And to their credit the roll out in Wales has accelerated at a great pace. Yes, I give them credit for that and especially those who organised the logistics, the manpower, the venues etc.
    716,000 having a first dose is terrific, but so far only 4010 have had the complete course ie 2 jabs. So as well as continuing vaccinating the nine top priority groups, 712,000 people will require their 2nd jab within the next twelve weeks. This seems a huge challenge, especially for Wales as we have done fewer 2nd doses than others parts of UK, so I hope WG continues its current strong form.

Just short of 750,000 now.

Rate per 100,000 is 99.

Look, you lot.....you spend your time swanning around Wales (or at least very localised parts of it) and harping on about the rate of vaccinations and that you haven't been seen to yet (Ooh er missus). On the other hand, I had a video Skype call on Thursday from a German friend of mine who is 67 next birthday. Having parked all his teeth in a receptacle of some description he gave me a very gummy call and stated that a jab is not yet on the horizon for him.

Bask in the only thing that seems to have gone right to some degree in recent times, I say!

It's all downhill after this.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Look, you lot.....you spend your time swanning around Wales (or at least very localised parts of it) and harping on about the rate of vaccinations and that you haven't been seen to yet (Ooh er missus). On the other hand, I had a video Skype call on Thursday from a German friend of mine who is 67 next birthday. Having parked all his teeth in a receptacle of some description he gave me a very gummy call and stated that a jab is not yet on the horizon for him.

Bask in the only thing that seems to have gone right to some degree in recent times, I say!

It's all downhill after this.
    Is 'bask' your word of the week?

International

I was reading the newspapers just now and it seems the statisticians predict that hosptalisations will halve in the next month. That cannot be bad!!! That is UK wide, not just Wales.

RCT doing teachers this weekend if they teach SEN kids.

Heard lots of cancellations in splott today, maybe the weather putting the oldies off? Random people getting a call like my neighbour who is 59.....

Down at Splott now, lots getting vaccinated this evening by the look of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Paget Flashman View Post
    RCT doing teachers this weekend if they teach SEN kids.
    Great news if I could influence one thing about vaccinations it would be around schools .

I can see at first hand how tough things are becoming for young children , there natural growth and learning instincts are being blunted from education through to natural social interactions , making friends , the joy of playing , and sporting activities .

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Great news if I could influence one thing about vaccinations it would be around schools .

I can see at first hand how tough things are becoming for young children , there natural growth and learning instincts are being blunted from education through to natural social interactions , making friends , the joy of playing , and sporting activities .
    Bang on there....no team sport for almost a year will have some impact

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Is 'bask' your word of the week?
    Try Basque instead

International

Quote Originally Posted by light up the darkness View Post
    Try Basque instead
    What?

Another set of good figures for Wales;-

I'm not sure if it pertains to those in Wales but anyone who is 65 and over can book their own appointment right now on the NHS website. My friend told me about it this morning and I went online and booked an appointment tomorrow morning!

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I'm not sure if it pertains to those in Wales but anyone who is 65 and over can book their own appointment right now on the NHS website. My friend told me about it this morning and I went online and booked an appointment tomorrow morning!
    Not heard anything to that effect in Wales, I thought we were supposed to wait until they got in touch with us?

Not heard anything to that effect in Wales, I thought we were supposed to wait until they got in touch with us?
    No my mate has had hid done today at the Star centre Tremorfa,he just phoned on Thursday had an appointment today he is 62.
    the phone number is02921 841234

Quote Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
    No my mate has had hid done today at the Star centre Tremorfa,he just phoned on Thursday had an appointment today he is 62.
    the phone number is02921 841234
    Have they opened the Star up just as a vaccine centre? I'm sure it was all closed up previously.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Have they opened the Star up just as a vaccine centre? I'm sure it was all closed up previously.
    Believe so....very busy there

I thought the same until this morning. The notifications are being sent out this week and next but you can book via this page (in England at least):
    https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/corona...s-vaccination/

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Believe so....very busy there
    Shame it shut down, Used to use the sports hall for five a side. Splott really does need these amenities.