+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Pembrokeshire Murders

The Pembrokeshire Murders

Did anyone see this.

I thought it was one of the best pieces of TV I have seen in a long time. Luke Evans and Keith Cooper were superb as were the rest of the cast

Yet the Telegraph review gave it two stars out of five and praised its realism but thought it was dull.

Janet Street Porter thought that Luke Evans lacked "charisma"

What did you lot think?

Re: The Pembrokeshire Murders

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    Did anyone see this.

I thought it was one of the best pieces of TV I have seen in a long time. Luke Evans and Keith Cooper were superb as were the rest of the cast

Yet the Telegraph review gave it two stars out of five and praised its realism but thought it was dull.

What did you lot think?
    Keith Cooper , ex ref from pontypridd who's son is in charge of the cavemen from West Wales?

Christ , he's branched out

Did anyone see this.

What did you lot think?
    Not funny as I live in the same village. Quite unsettling although I obviously knew all about this.

Keith Allen

Apart from the 2 main characters I thought the rest of the actors were shite, low budget Welsh actors.

The story itself he was one evil bastard John Cooper.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Keith Cooper , ex ref from pontypridd who's son is in charge of the cavemen from West Wales?

Christ , he's branched out
    Whoops Keith Allen playing John Cooper I meant of course

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Keith Allen

Apart from the 2 main characters I thought the rest of the actors were shite, low budget Welsh actors.

The story itself he was one evil bastard John Cooper.

Disagree about the acting. Charles Dale and Owen Teale couldn't be described as low budget, but I though the cast was uniformly excellent

Disagree about the acting. Charles Dale and Owen Teale couldn't be described as low budget, but I though the cast was uniformly excellent
    I thought that the lead actor had a bit of the Dominic West about him. For dramatic purposes it seemed like there was no evidence whatsoever up until the last minute when it arrived by the shed load (and not all due to the DNA evidence).
    It seemed very middling as a drama.

I went back to watching the Norwegian series 'Monster' in Channel 4's 'Walter Presents' section. A tad dark and total fiction but well worth a watch.

Did anyone see this.

What did you lot think?
    Agree with the telegraph here.It had a documentary feel about it but was nevertheless watchable.

First Team

Yes, it was watchable but not as slick as some others.

Watch Serpent , which is also based on a real life crime and that, for me, is a different class.

Very watchable, partly though because the crime is well known in South Wales.
    Remember one of the more recent ITV dramas set in Wales had Sarah Lancashire trying (and failing) to pull off a generic Welsh accent, so it was good to see Welsh actors getting the roles.

Nowhere near as good as Hinterland. I agree, main character did lack charisma and was.....boring. There was a lack of tension, intrigue (we knew whodunnit from the start) and the dialogue sounded like a read script for the most part. Some of the graphics were just laughable.
    Two stars.
    In My Skin....on BBC 3 catchup....thoroughly recommended. Best described as a dark comedy. Laugh out loud at times. At others, shockingly realistic. Set in Cardiff, the dialogue is spot on as is the story line.

I'm with you. I thought it was excellent.

Owen Teale was barely in it and Charles Dale is better when hes playing a cheeky chappy rather than a serious role. As for Steven Meo, couldnt take him serious as detective at all.

Quote Originally Posted by IanD View Post
    Nowhere near as good as Hinterland. I agree, main character did lack charisma and was.....boring. There was a lack of tension, intrigue (we knew whodunnit from the start) and the dialogue sounded like a read script for the most part. Some of the graphics were just laughable.
    Two stars.
    In My Skin....on BBC 3 catchup....thoroughly recommended. Best described as a dark comedy. Laugh out loud at times. At others, shockingly realistic. Set in Cardiff, the dialogue is spot on as is the story line.

Hinterland isn’t real !!!!!!

They did stick to the same words that were actually spoken at the time.

There are people out there, still alive, who were all consulted, before this was aired.

Watch, The Making of the Pembrokeshire Murders tonight, it might just change your mind

Excellent viewing

PS:—-/ The actual leading officer was in the final scenes when the verdict was read out

Quote Originally Posted by Cyncoed Slumdog View Post
    I'm with you. I thought it was excellent.

Same here, brilliant viewing

Can’t wait till tonight to watch the making of The Pembrokeshire Murders

Watched it and enjoyed it, but it was a bit dull.

Tuesdays episode seemed to drag on without going anywhere, and yesterdays episode in the court seemed rushed.

2/3 out of 5 seems fair.

Quote Originally Posted by qccfc View Post

Tuesdays episode seemed to drag on without going anywhere, and yesterdays episode in the court seemed rushed.

2/3 out of 5 seems fair.
    Yeah I thought Episode 1 was the best and then it fizzled out.

2/3 out of 5 seems fair.
    Funny how we have different views. I didn't see anything wrong in Tuesdays episode and felt the court case was long enough

4/5 out of 5 for me

Quote Originally Posted by Majorblue View Post
    Yes, it was watchable but not as slick as some others.

Watch Serpent , which is also based on a real life crime and that, for me, is a different class.
    I agree, apart from Keith Allen it was not great. For a drama its wasn't very dramatic and could have been done in an hour and a half. Tragic story though. I agree about Serpent , it is excellent.

The pictures of the murderer and his wife were a bit of a jarring note though his was very similar to the actual photo.

As I said in an earlier post this docu/drama is very close to home.
    Given time constraints and artistic licence it was a decent representation of what happened and has been well received down this way.
    Cooper was a bad guy, and from what I understand there are other unexplained deaths which he may be responsible for. I also believe the first murder enquiry could have nailed him.
    He only lived a few hundred yards from the site of the first murders and drank with one of the victims in the 'Huntsman' pub.

Funny how we have different views. I didn't see anything wrong in Tuesdays episode and felt the court case was long enough

4/5 out of 5 for me

Agree with you on this one. 4/5 for me too.

Thought it was was very watchable and Keith Allen was extremely believable as John Cooper. A perfect role for him to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Former Labour leader View Post
    As I said in an earlier post this docu/drama is very close to home.
    Given time constraints and artistic licence it was a decent representation of what happened and has been well received down this way.
    Cooper was a bad guy, and from what I understand there are other unexplained deaths which he may be responsible for. I also believe the first murder enquiry could have nailed him.
    He only lived a few hundred yards from the site of the first murders and drank with one of the victims in the 'Huntsman' pub.
    That's why it can't be compared to Hinterland or other fictional stories: you can only work with what actually happened. Will be watching the documentary tonight to see but did enjoy the drama of the interviews and interaction between police officers and scientists showing how forensic evidence works.

2/3 out of 5 seems fair.
    3 out of 5. I think last night was far too rushed, and all the evidence happened at once. The stuff about his son wasn’t long enough too add anything to the story so was pointless as well. It is a bit of an odd TV programme, as it’s a cold case it is hard to do.

The Guardian gave it 4/5.

I really enjoyed it. I think the drama was toned down on purpose to reflect the painstaking reality of forensic investigation. It's not exciting but it's often the evidence that is key in a prosecution. It took them quite a few years to gather the DNA and other forensic evidence and put the pieces together, the whole mood reflected that for me. If you had Luke Evans getting massively animated and jumping over cars for no reason, wouldn't have been the story they were trying to tell.

Plus I liked that they used Port Talbot for the scummy scenes where the son lived