+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Players Nicknames

Re: Players Nicknames

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    I had a trial once, 1977 I think, they didn't ask me back. The other two keepers Nicky Johns and Martin Thomas both went on to long league careers, my highlight was a couple of games for Hereford United reserves.
    Fair play, Des

I still claim to be the only keeper who has conceded a hat trick of own goals from the same centre half in one game
    Did the centre half blame you?

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Jambo? ****off Lewj i'd rather be called a useless ****, which did happen on numerous occasions

That's what I mean. I bet some of the players have a good giggle at some of these names they're supposedly know as.

If only I could be in the changing room with Smitho, Benno, Moz, Toots, Willo and Glatzo when they read it.

I had a trial once, 1977 I think, they didn't ask me back. The other two keepers Nicky Johns and Martin Thomas both went on to long league careers, my highlight was a couple of games for Hereford United reserves.
    Martin Thomas-Caerphilly Boy?

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post

That's what I mean. I bet some of the players have a good giggle at some of these names they're supposedly know as.

If only I could be in the changing room with Smitho, Benno, Moz, Toots, Willo and Glatzo when they read it.
    Bloke behind me used to say 'Knock it Pelts' i puked in my mouth.

Bloke behind me used to say 'Knock it Pelts' i puked in my mouth.
    A certain long scarved City fan who shall remain nameless used to shout "Chuff the Anchor" back in the Bob Bank days.

I still don't know what he meant but from having been cornered by him on quite a few occasions I'm sure he is partial to giving players nicknames.

Martin Thomas-Caerphilly Boy?
    Not sure, the Gas signed him shortly after & then he ended up at City, I think he got a few caps for Wales

For us oldies there was Tappy. I remember Alan McIntosh being called Rolo and Joe Bonson being called Joe Bonkers

A certain long scarved City fan who shall remain nameless used to shout "Chuff the Anchor" back in the Bob Bank days.

I still don't know what he meant but from having been cornered by him on quite a few occasions I'm sure he is partial to giving players nicknames.
    Chuff the anchor sounds great, **** knows what it means though

Not sure, the Gas signed him shortly after & then he ended up at City, I think he got a few caps for Wales
    Sneggy, apparently. Think he did his youth with Rovers, as was the case with loads of lads in that era.

Heisenberg

Were most of them not given by the press though?

A bit different to somebody taking it upon themselves to nickname a player they've never spoken to with a name nobody else calls them. Sean Morrison I've seen called Mozzer, Moz, Morrie and Morro depending on who calls him it. He probably answers to one of them, if that,and from people he knows.

Think that is the first time I've ever heard Shane William's called Shaneo although my head might have been poisoned by valley girls on international rugby day giving a death curdling "Come on Shaaaane" at the TV.
    To be honest, I have no idea.

Does the press doing it make a difference? They aren't football fans, so why are they calling people familiar nicknames - the bloody weirdos!

In all seriousness, I've never been one to call players by any thing other than their birth names either. Except one...

Have you never referred to Peter Whittingham as Whitts?

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    To be honest, I have no idea.

Does the press doing it make a difference? They aren't football fans, so why are they calling people familiar nicknames - the bloody weirdos!

In all seriousness, I've never been one to call players by any thing other than their birth names either. Except one...

Have you never referred to Peter Whittingham as Whitts?
    Fewer number of letters in headlines.

I think most people do that. Just speeds things up.
    I think it's a Cardiff or Wales thing. I never noticed it before I moved to Cardiff from Portsmouth in the 80s

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Fewer number of letters in headlines.
    My quirky mind has always liked that World Wide Web, when abbreviated, is longer - Double U, Double U, Double U