+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Players Nicknames

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Players Nicknames

I guess between themselves in the club environment players will have nicknames for each other, but for fans who are distant from it, it's strange.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    I guess between themselves in the club environment players will have nicknames for each other, but for fans who are distant from it, it's strange.
    Oh yeah we've all worked with people or had mates who have nicknames and vice versa.

I find it odd giving a familiar name to somebody you watch from distance and have never spoken to.

Some of the nicknames I've seen our players given are probably the only time they've ever been called that particular nickname.

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    Oh yeah we've all worked with people or had mates who have nicknames and vice versa.

I find it odd giving a familiar name to somebody you watch from distance and have never spoken to.

Some of the nicknames I've seen our players given are probably the only time they've ever been called that particular nickname.
    Mozzer is also Morrissey's nickname. Madge for Madonna. Michael Jackson was called Jacko.

Shane Williams is Shaneo.

Jeremy Corbyn is Jezza.

If you had 5 mins I bet you could think of loads of "familiar" sounding nicknames for celebrities.

Like I said, it isn't football-centric. It probably happens more in football though due to the amount of players involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Mozzer is also Morrissey's nickname. Madge for Madonna. Michael Jackson was called Jacko.

Shane Williams is Shaneo.

Jeremy Corbyn is Jezza.

If you had 5 mins I bet you could think of loads of "familiar" sounding nicknames for celebrities.

Like I said, it isn't football-centric. It probably happens more in football though due to the amount of players involved.
    Were most of them not given by the press though?

A bit different to somebody taking it upon themselves to nickname a player they've never spoken to with a name nobody else calls them. Sean Morrison I've seen called Mozzer, Moz, Morrie and Morro depending on who calls him it. He probably answers to one of them, if that,and from people he knows.

Think that is the first time I've ever heard Shane William's called Shaneo although my head might have been poisoned by valley girls on international rugby day giving a death curdling "Come on Shaaaane" at the TV.

Always called David Marshall, Marshy but found out that the players call him Boggy

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Always called David Marshall, Marshy but found out that the players call him Boggy
    Not having a go in any way, but why?

Marshy takes as long to say as Marshall and as you have pointed out, it's not even his nickname.

Marshy takes as long to say as Marshall and as you have pointed out, it's not even his nickname.
    I've no idea! I work with a guy who shortens everyone's name to the shortest possible, Al (Alan), Ne (Neil), E (Ian) etc.

Marshy is easier to say on pitch, also shouting 'Marshall' would make someone sound like Alan Partridge. Most footballers have one. My surname is James, when i played i was referred to as 'Jaymo' easy to shout and give instruction.