+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Players Nicknames

Players Nicknames

What is it with fans calling players they've never spoken to by their nicknames?

Pato, Mozzer, Rallsy.

What's that all about?
    If you did it in any other walk of life you'd be considered a bit if an odd job. Why does it happen in footballing circles?

Re: Players Nicknames

Pretty much everything to do with supporting a football club is pretty strange. Celebrating wildly when some guy you've never met who's on thousands of pounds a week kicks a ball into a net is objectively pretty strange behaviour

I guess between themselves in the club environment players will have nicknames for each other, but for fans who are distant from it, it's strange.

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    What is it with fans calling players they've never spoken to by their nicknames?

Pato, Mozzer, Rallsy.

What's that all about?
    If you did it in any other walk of life you'd be considered a bit if an odd job. Why does it happen in footballing circles?
    Not sure mate. Had a chat with Becks, Gazza and Sicknote the other day and they don't know either.

Fingers and Snowy were good ones

Heisenberg

Pato, Mozzer, Rallsy.

What's that all about?
    It happens in other forms of sport and art as well. Even some politicians have nicknames.

I don't think it's a football-centric thing in the slightest.

Affectionate and funny ones I kind of get.

It is the nicknames that make it feel like the person has grown up with them and went on their stag do that make me feel a little uncomfortable when they're blurted out.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    I guess between themselves in the club environment players will have nicknames for each other, but for fans who are distant from it, it's strange.
    Oh yeah we've all worked with people or had mates who have nicknames and vice versa.

I find it odd giving a familiar name to somebody you watch from distance and have never spoken to.

Some of the nicknames I've seen our players given are probably the only time they've ever been called that particular nickname.

Heisenberg

Oh yeah we've all worked with people or had mates who have nicknames and vice versa.

I find it odd giving a familiar name to somebody you watch from distance and have never spoken to.

Some of the nicknames I've seen our players given are probably the only time they've ever been called that particular nickname.
    Mozzer is also Morrissey's nickname. Madge for Madonna. Michael Jackson was called Jacko.

Shane Williams is Shaneo.

Jeremy Corbyn is Jezza.

If you had 5 mins I bet you could think of loads of "familiar" sounding nicknames for celebrities.

Like I said, it isn't football-centric. It probably happens more in football though due to the amount of players involved.

Pato, Mozzer, Rallsy.

What's that all about?
    I plead guilty to the occasional use of 'Mozzer' and once threw in a 'Pato' although I usually avoid the nicknames.

However, I don't think you are right about use of nicknames being unique to 'footballing circles'. From memory I went through school using nicknames for teachers and other kids, a lot of whom I had never spoken to in person - including the school thug ('the Slug') and the head ('the BIM' - the bastard in the middle on school photos). The same at college and throughout most of my jobs - people I knew of but didn't know personally quite often had nicknames that were used by all and sundry (especially in HR and direct works supervisors and managers).

In our house we often use nicknames to refer to members of the Tory Cabinet, Starmer and Trump - it makes the abuse much more enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Mozzer is also Morrissey's nickname. Madge for Madonna. Michael Jackson was called Jacko.

Shane Williams is Shaneo.

Jeremy Corbyn is Jezza.

If you had 5 mins I bet you could think of loads of "familiar" sounding nicknames for celebrities.

Like I said, it isn't football-centric. It probably happens more in football though due to the amount of players involved.
    Were most of them not given by the press though?

A bit different to somebody taking it upon themselves to nickname a player they've never spoken to with a name nobody else calls them. Sean Morrison I've seen called Mozzer, Moz, Morrie and Morro depending on who calls him it. He probably answers to one of them, if that,and from people he knows.

Think that is the first time I've ever heard Shane William's called Shaneo although my head might have been poisoned by valley girls on international rugby day giving a death curdling "Come on Shaaaane" at the TV.

Always called David Marshall, Marshy but found out that the players call him Boggy

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Always called David Marshall, Marshy but found out that the players call him Boggy
    Not having a go in any way, but why?

Marshy takes as long to say as Marshall and as you have pointed out, it's not even his nickname.

I’ve heard Murphy called same interesting names...........

Quote Originally Posted by theclaw View Post
    I’ve heard Murphy called same interesting names...........
    I'm sure I've called him a few.

Not strictly nicknames mind and I'd like to think they'd be dished out to any player showing as little care to play in the blue shirt.

Marshy takes as long to say as Marshall and as you have pointed out, it's not even his nickname.
    I've no idea! I work with a guy who shortens everyone's name to the shortest possible, Al (Alan), Ne (Neil), E (Ian) etc.

I've no idea! I work with a guy who shortens everyone's name to the shortest possible, Al (Alan), Ne (Neil), E (Ian) etc.
    I think most people do that. Just speeds things up.

Marshy is easier to say on pitch, also shouting 'Marshall' would make someone sound like Alan Partridge. Most footballers have one. My surname is James, when i played i was referred to as 'Jaymo' easy to shout and give instruction.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Marshy is easier to say on pitch, also shouting 'Marshall' would make someone sound like Alan Partridge. Most footballers have one. My surname is James, when i played i was referred to as 'Jaymo' easy to shout and give instruction.
    Marshy might be but Des Parrot doesn't play for City.

It also isn't his nickname.

To put it another way what if some lad who occasionally watched your games started calling you Jambo. You wouldn't find it odd?

And i completely agree with you. I don't use the whole footballer nickname thing, proper cringy. As for Des Parrot, i've heard that he was a bit of a goalkeeper back in the day, so he may be entitled to use Nicknames

I had a trial once, 1977 I think, they didn't ask me back. The other two keepers Nicky Johns and Martin Thomas both went on to long league careers, my highlight was a couple of games for Hereford United reserves.

I had a trial once, 1977 I think, they didn't ask me back. The other two keepers Nicky Johns and Martin Thomas both went on to long league careers, my highlight was a couple of games for Hereford United reserves.
    You learn something new every day.

To put it another way what if some lad who occasionally watched your games started calling you Jambo. You wouldn't find it odd?
    Jambo? ****off Lewj i'd rather be called a useless ****, which did happen on numerous occasions

And i completely agree with you. I don't use the whole footballer nickname thing, proper cringy. As for Des Parrot, i've heard that he was a bit of a goalkeeper back in the day, so he may be entitled to use Nicknames
    I still claim to be the only keeper who has conceded a hat trick of own goals from the same centre half in one game