+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Well done Neil Harris.

Well done Neil Harris.

Leaving aside any should he stay/should he go arguments, it was very good to hear Neil Harris say in the pre Norwich game video on the club website that he never had an agent as a player, he used the PFA to negotiate for him. I've never understood the need to have a, often dodgy, third party involved in your dealings when you are a player when you have a union you could belong to that is more than happy to do that for you.

Re: Well done Neil Harris.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Leaving aside any should he stay/should he go arguments, it was very good to hear Neil Harris say in the pre Norwich game video on the club website that he never had an agent as a player, he used the PFA to negotiate for him. I've never understood the need to have a, often dodgy, third party involved in your dealings when you are a player when you have a union you could belong to that is more than happy to do that for you.
    Yup. Well said. I've made no secret of my utter contempt for agents and the whole sordid business.

Sky Andrew

Orrible git

Agents are leeches sucking huge amounts of money out of football whilst lining their own pockets and causing unrest. They are a cancer on the face of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyncoed Slumdog View Post
    Agents are leeches sucking huge amounts of money out of football whilst lining their own pockets and causing unrest. They are a cancer on the face of the game.
    Raiola got paid £17m for Haaland to go from Salzburg to Dortmund. Why does Haaland need an agent who gets paid anywhere near that level? He could have that cash for a start! Every club would love to sign Haaland, I don’t understand it at all

Ridiculous amounts of money for puppets. I can understand the need for a solicitor to sign off on the contract and fine details but why have an agent to discuss your salary? 95% of the working public will attend an interview or negotiate a salary for their profession so footballers should be no different.

Quote Originally Posted by Monster munch View Post
    Ridiculous amounts of money for puppets. I can understand the need for a solicitor to sign off on the contract and fine details but why have an agent to discuss your salary? 95% of the working public will attend an interview or negotiate a salary for their profession so footballers should be no different.
    I guess in most cases, the company comes out of those negotiations on top. Scale the salary up 100 times for pro footballers and that's a lot of lost income.

I'm not here to defend agents but if they didn't give the players any benefit then there wouldn't be any.

Amazes me that the more screwed on players do not educate themselves in this area and represent themselves more.

It happened in boxing with fighters distancing from promoters who they felt treated them unfairly and I'm sure a few high profile footballers would see a domino effect in this regard.

I disagree a little here as I believe that an agent can benefit a player.
    There’s the obvious transfers,wages and everything that comes with that.But behind the scenes they look after the player,travel arrangements,hotel stays,housing,personal appearances, charities etc.

The big problem is a lot of them are greedy,bent and only really care about themselves.

I wouldn't mind being a football agent .
    They have made themselves part of the game , very clever .

Football at the top level is rotten to the core, money money ,money . Agents are just a part of it .

Quote Originally Posted by Cyncoed Slumdog View Post
    Agreed There should be a campaign to kick them out of the game. Akin to the mafia in my opinion.
    Spedger

If someone called you at work today and said they could guarantee you a job somewhere else doing exactly the same thing but for 50% more money, what would you do?

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    If someone called you at work today and said they could guarantee you a job somewhere else doing exactly the same thing but for 50% more money, what would you do?
    If I'm Haaland at Salzburg, why do I need an agent to earn £17m off my transfer when every top club in Europe wants to sign me?

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    If I'm Haaland at Salzburg, why do I need an agent to earn £17m off my transfer when every top club in Europe wants to sign me?
    Its the game . The agents know it .

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    Its the game . The agents know it .
    I know but I don't have to like it and I definitely don't understand it.

At least we know it was him and not his agent being greedy that decided to leave us after a few games.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    At least we know it was him and not his agent being greedy that decided to leave us after a few games.
    We offered him 2 years, Forest offered him more money and an extra year. As decisions go, it isn't really a difficult one.

Everyone else would take a lot more money and job security but when it comes to football, it's greed apparently.

Auf wiedersehen Glatzel, surely? Assuming Watters hits the ground running, Glatzel will be third choice. Also the end for Vassell probably, although we never saw the start of him.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    You're not Haaland though. Or more importantly, he's not you. He's a 20-year-old kid. How is he even going to know who wants to or is capable of sign(ing) him? How does he know how much money to ask for? What kind of clauses, get-outs etc etc he may need down the line. Agents maybe be bad for the clubs and even the sport, but for the most part, they're certainly not bad for the players.

You're not Haaland though. Or more importantly, he's not you. He's a 20-year-old kid. How is he even going to know who wants to or is capable of sign(ing) him? How does he know how much money to ask for? What kind of clauses, get-outs etc etc he may need down the line. Agents maybe be bad for the clubs and even the sport, but for the most part, they're certainly not bad for the players.
    Well, going back to my original point, he could get his union involved and I’d also say that if he’s as good as Haaland and from a family with a history in the game, he’d have a very good idea of his worth.

Haaland can see that every club in the world wants to sign him. He's not stupid. Agents might have some worth. There is no way on God's green Earth they are worth £17m for one transfer. Raiola got £40M, THAT'S FOURTY MILLION POUNDS, to take Pogba to Man United. What the hell for? Everyone knows what he's worth, he's already at Juve, he's not stupid.