+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: New roof semi-detached help

New roof semi-detached help

Any idea how much a new roof costs? Any roofers on here who can give an estimate or any recommendations please?

Re: New roof semi-detached help

Watch out for cowboy builders. They can be roofless.

I think my parents paid about £3k-£3.5k for a new roof on their 3 bed semi last year .

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    I think my parents paid about £3k-£3.5k for a new roof on their 3 bed semi last year .
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by ninian opinian View Post
    Any idea how much a new roof costs? Any roofers on here who can give an estimate or any recommendations please?
    Depends on a load of things. Is it a simple up and over, is it a hipped roof, does it have a dormer, how much lead work is there to do, is it slate tiles, composite or cement tiles, does it have a stack, velux windows, is it sagging in the middle etc. I've used R and W hughes roofing, based in Cardiff, the work is excellent and they know what is right or wrong for certain designs, pitches and areas more exposed or prone to weathering.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I’m beaming at your joke

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Depends on a load of things. Is it a simple up and over, is it a hipped roof, does it have a dormer, how much lead work is there to do, is it slate tiles, composite or cement tiles, does it have a stack, velux windows, is it sagging in the middle etc. I've used R and W hughes roofing, based in Cardiff, the work is excellent and they know what is right or wrong for certain designs, pitches and areas more exposed or prone to weathering.
    Thanks for your advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Yes they're always getting slated on here

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Try these
    Attached Images Attached Images

International

Quote Originally Posted by light up the darkness View Post
    Try these
    They're just singhing their own praises.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    They're just singhing their own praises.
    If you are not careful Mike is going turban these pun responses.

It's impossible to tell how much a replacement roof will cost. When the slates/tiles are removed the beams may be rotten and will require replacement as may be the barge boards and guttering. No estimate can be accurate until the roof covering is removed.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    It's impossible to tell how much a replacement roof will cost. When the slates/tiles are removed the beams may be rotten and will require replacement as may be the barge boards and guttering. No estimate can be accurate until the roof covering is removed.
    I’m just thinking about it at the moment. My semi-detached house was built 60s and my next door neighbour is having her roof done at the moment. Hers was leaking. I’m wondering whether to bite the bullet and just get it done now or wait until something goes wrong.

I’m just thinking about it at the moment. My semi-detached house was built 60s and my next door neighbour is having her roof done at the moment. Hers was leaking. I’m wondering whether to bite the bullet and just get it done now or wait until something goes wrong.
    If there is nothing wrong with your roof, then leave it alone, just maintain it. It's usually the bitumen felt that goes brittle and breaks up, or problems with the leadwork splitting. Go up into your loft, turn off the light and scan for any daylight peering through, then check for water stains on the walls or around the eaves. I wouldn't spunk the best part of five grand if i wasn't having any issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    If there is nothing wrong with your roof, then leave it alone, just maintain it. It's usually the bitumen felt that goes brittle and breaks up, or problems with the leadwork splitting. Go up into your loft, turn off the light and scan for any daylight peering through, then check for water stains on the walls or around the eaves. I wouldn't spunk the best part of five grand if i wasn't having any issues.
    That's good advice. The most likely source of a future leak is where your neighbours new roof abuts against yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    That's good advice. The most likely source of a future leak is where your neighbours new roof abuts against yours.
    Yup, although there's some great products out there, like secret valley's etc. The biggest issue is Chimney stacks and the felt going at the eaves, lead work splitting and pointing around hip and ridge tiles. Good maintenance can save a load of money.

I’m beaming at your joke
    Truss you!