+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Photo organiser

Photo organiser

Can anyone recommend a good photo organiser for Windows please? I've got goodness knows how many different folders on different drives with old photos, mainly backed up from cameras and old phones. I'd like to be able to scan all the drives and be able to sort out what is there, without having to import and go through lots of individual folders. Free is also good!! Cheers.

Re: Photo organiser

Lightroom probably, if you look for deals it’s probably around £8 a month

if you want something free, and open source try dark table

https://www.darktable.org/

much like Lightroom without the bells and whistles and supported by the dark table community.

Not really what you asked for but I just stick all my photos in a slideshow and upload them to youtube. That way I have a back up of them if lose anything.

Quote Originally Posted by GL1Blue View Post
    if you want something free, and open source try dark table

https://www.darktable.org/

much like Lightroom without the bells and whistles and supported by the dark table community.
    Nice one. I like opensource.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Nice one. I like opensource.
    If you like open source, get yourself off Windows and onto Linux!

If you like open source, get yourself off Windows and onto Linux!
    I did, about 5 or 6 years ago when Microsoft stopped supporting XP. I used a variety of distros for about 2 years or so and, in the main, enjoyed the experience. I liked the terminal. Updating software was ridiculously easy and didn't leave dozens of exe files in your download folder to accumulate!

However, music production software on Linux is awful. Things need routing through JACK to start with, which is a pain in the arse, plus nothing comes remotely close to the top workstations you can spend hundreds on. The media player that I've always loved on Windows didn't work on Wine or Virtualbox; nothing free got close to it. In truth I should use a Mac, but I haven't got that sort of money unless I give up the prostitutes.

I was a particular fan of KDE desktop and some of their software is fantastic. I still use Blender and Kdenlive on Windows. I still have Manjaro and Mint if I fancy a change. File management software is far superior to the proprietry Windows nonsense. So easy to manage harddrive partitions too. If Linux sorts out top level music software, I'll be back.

fair play for you jumping right in, so many dabble but don't persevere and end up moving back to Windows.
    If you desperately need os x take a look at this - https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ATnpEOo3GJA

Easier than a hackintosh and works well.

fair play for you jumping right in, so many dabble but don't persevere and end up moving back to Windows.
    If you desperately need os x take a look at this - https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ATnpEOo3GJA

Easier than a hackintosh and works well.
    Ooh, sounds interesting. A little project for this afternoon if we're 3 down early on!

My first computer was a Commodore 64, so was used to programming of some sort, even if only using basic. If I was lucky, my primary school had a BBC Micro to play Chuckie Egg on.

I've never shown my son a Linux distro. He'll be fascinated.

Can anyone suggest something similar for a Mac? Want to sort and label photos.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Ooh, sounds interesting. A little project for this afternoon if we're 3 down early on!

My first computer was a Commodore 64, so was used to programming of some sort, even if only using basic. If I was lucky, my primary school had a BBC Micro to play Chuckie Egg on.

I've never shown my son a Linux distro. He'll be fascinated.
    My first computer was a Mac SE, started my Linux journey about 6 years ago, moved onto raspberry Pi's, arduino 's and the like now and program in C or python.

I tried the YouTube video and had some success, good luck, my guess is you'll be starting about 3.15 😂

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    Can anyone suggest something similar for a Mac? Want to sort and label photos.
    dark table has a dmg download for mac.