+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Two minutes, 38 seconds ! That's how long it'll take Norwich to score. Have a guess.

Re: Two minutes, 38 seconds ! That's how long it'll take Norwich to score. Have a guess.

What was the exact time?

Re: Two minutes, 38 seconds ! That's how long it'll take Norwich to score. Have a guess.

2. 29

Anything good on tv?

Can I have the lottery numbers please!

Quote Originally Posted by city1927 View Post
    Can I have the lottery numbers please!
    Interesting question about lotteries: If any particular sequence has an equal chance of being drawn, is 1 2 3 4 5 (6) as likely a result as any other? I suppose the answer is yes, but common sense says no.

Quote Originally Posted by IanD View Post
    Anything good on tv?

HOT FUZZ, at 4.10pm.

More slow, fat f uckers walking around

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyscoular View Post
    Interesting question about lotteries: If any particular sequence has an equal chance of being drawn, is 1 2 3 4 5 (6) as likely a result as any other? I suppose the answer is yes, but common sense says no.
    Of course the answer is yes. The numbers have no significance whatsoever. They could be replaced by images of animals, Chinese symbols or fingerprints. They have no relationship to each other. That's common sense.

Rad C Nesbit covered that years ago
    https://youtu.be/Nrmcxa1yBec?t=59

Quote Originally Posted by OurManFlint II View Post
    Rad C Nesbit covered that years ago
    https://youtu.be/Nrmcxa1yBec?t=59
    He blew hot and cold though

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Of course the answer is yes. The numbers have no significance whatsoever. They could be replaced by images of animals, Chinese symbols or fingerprints. They have no relationship to each other. That's common sense.
    And yet, who would choose a sequential series when paying for a lottery ticket? Very few, I suppose, because it just strains credulity. Interestingly, just such a series cropped up Dec. 1 when the South Africa Powerball drew 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10. There were 20 winners, a far higher number than usually share a jackpot, so people do play them. There was a national uproar, with the drawing being denounced as fixed. It would of course never have occurred to anyone to denounce a non-sequential series as fixed.

So works the human mind.

And yet, who would choose a sequential series when paying for a lottery ticket? Very few, I suppose, because it just strains credulity. Interestingly, just such a series cropped up Dec. 1 when the South Africa Powerball drew 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10. There were 20 winners, a far higher number than usually share a jackpot, so people do play them. There was a national uproar, with the drawing being denounced as fixed. It would of course never have occurred to anyone to denounce a non-sequential series as fixed.

So works the human mind.
    Years ago I was present at the drawing of a charity raffle. A little unusually for a raffle, there was only one prize - a piece of artwork valued at a couple of grand that had been donated. They'd sold thousands of tickets; not the plain cloakroom tickets, but the printed books of 10 kind.

All the tickets were put in some large tombola drum and spun like the end of a cotton cycle. A guy I knew was picked to draw the one and only winner, so no chance of any collusion or anything being rigged. Out it came. Ticket number 1.

Cue cries of 'fix' amongst lots laughter and comments. Of course, 1 had exactly the same chance of being drawn as any other number, yet it seemed so improbable. Had, say, 376 been drawn, nobody would have thought any more about it.

Pretty sure I've read that it's the most commonly chosen ticket on the lottery.
    You wont change your chances of winning the jackpot by choosing those numbers, but if you want to increase your chances of winning big should your numbers be picked, then choose 6 others.
    Similarly, choosing 6 numbers under 31 increases your chances of sharing a jackpot with more ticket holders, as people choose family birthdays for their numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Years ago I was present at the drawing of a charity raffle. A little unusually for a raffle, there was only one prize - a piece of artwork valued at a couple of grand that had been donated. They'd sold thousands of tickets; not the plain cloakroom tickets, but the printed books of 10 kind.

All the tickets were put in some large tombola drum and spun like the end of a cotton cycle. A guy I knew was picked to draw the one and only winner, so no chance of any collusion or anything being rigged. Out it came. Ticket number 1.

Cue cries of 'fix' amongst lots laughter and comments. Of course, 1 had exactly the same chance of being drawn as any other number, yet it seemed so improbable. Had, say, 376 been drawn, nobody would have thought any more about it.
    Wasn't this in Father Ted?

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Wasn't this in Father Ted?
    Not ticket 1. They tried to rig it so they won the car and Dougal couldn't remember the ticket number when his was drawn.

Strangely enough, the event I attended was in Ireland. September 96 in a Garda social club as pianist for a choir who were singing at the same thing

Similarly, instead of numbers, Sudoku could use colours, sketches of insects or photographs of nine City players who played more than 300 games.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Pretty sure I've read that it's the most commonly chosen ticket on the lottery.
    You wont change your chances of winning the jackpot by choosing those numbers, but if you want to increase your chances of winning big should your numbers be picked, then choose 6 others.
    Similarly, choosing 6 numbers under 31 increases your chances of sharing a jackpot with more ticket holders, as people choose family birthdays for their numbers.
    People ridiculously narrow their chances picking birthdays as they’re playing a 31 ball game, any ball drawn after 31 and they’re buggered. The organisers have conned the public a few times though, initially by the number of draws. Syndicates picked their individual 6 numbers to stick with for the Saturday draw, then a Wednesday draw was introduced, so many syndicates doubled their stake in case their numbers came up midweek. Then the introduction of lucky dips really rubbed the syndicate’s leader’s nose in it, he’d spent a few years collecting money, terrified in case he forgot to put it on. The organisers cleverly delayed the introduction of lucky dips until they’d captured all the ‘same number’ syndicates whereas, had, lucky dips been there from the start a missed week wouldn’t have mattered. Then the 10 number increase leaving ‘same number’ people playing a 49 ball game in a 59 ball game. Not to mention that it’s £2 a ticket now.............anyway got to stop this rant, I need to check last night’s numbers!!!!!