+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Neil Harris 'proud of the performance' after defeat v Norwich City

Neil Harris 'proud of the performance' after defeat v Norwich City

A positive Neil Harris met the press after today's home defeat by league leaders Norwich City. Cardiff were easily second best in the first half before making a better effort after the break.

"I'm really proud of the performance, what an effort by the boys," Harris said after the match.

"What an effort for the 90 minutes, but for the last 25, with 10 men, we went toe to toe with by far the best team in the division.

"I thought there were some outstanding performances in a makeshift back four. I thought Joe Bennett and Joel Bagan were magnificent.

"I thought Joe Ralls, not just his goal but his performance, and Marlon (Pack) was excellent until he got his red card.

"I thought Kieffer (Moore) coming back into the team was outstanding, gave us a real boost and dimension to our play.

"On the whole, it's a massive positive. It might sound crazy we didn't get the point, if not three, we wanted, but that's the level of performance my players have got to have for the rest of the season.

"The application, the attitude, we had on the back of the week we had was first class and I expect more of that and more quality on Wednesday against QPR."

Do you need to beat qpr to keep your job?

"It's a pointless question, asking me that," he replied.

"I'm really pleased with the performance today, a top performance by us.

"Were we good enough in the first five minutes defending a corner? No. That's the difference between the two teams.

"Was it a much improved performance? Have I seen application and desire from my team on the training pitch all week? Massively.

"When we get the players back and we add in the transfer window like we have today, and will continue to add in the transfer window, we will get better and better."

Daniel Farke

“It’s important we judge the game in the right way,” said the Norwich boss. “The second-half we could have made our lives a bit easier but I have to say what we have delivered today in the circumstances is outstanding.

“Today, I just have praise and compliments for the lads. We’ve had a difficult week in terms of COVID-19 cases and we found out one day before the game that we have nine COVID cases, four players and five staff members.

“In addition to that, we had to fight with the flu. Lukas Rupp and Josh Martin both out, Emi Buendia also had some symptoms during this week so it’s been unbelievably difficult.

“In addition to that, several key players are injured. It’s a strange injury for Teemu Pukki but to then come to Cardiff, a difficult place to come, and deliver such a first-half is outstanding.

“It was close to perfect. We were so good, so dominant and so clinical in our situations. We could have easily been up even three or four.

“In the second-half, we dominated further on in the beginning. We conceded unnecessarily and didn’t have too much pressure on the ball, perhaps we felt too comfortable.

“They brought their main striker on, Kieffer Moore, who was buzzing after injury to be back in the game. He’s very difficult to defend against.

“Of course, they sensed blood against us. After a difficult week, we thought whether it was possible if we could have given the game away.

“It was difficult to be absolutely confident but, in these moments, we had to dig in and be there with spirit, togetherness and put our bodies on the line.

“This is what we did, the third and fourth goals could have been possible to make our lives easier. But I have to say, what we have delivered in difficult surroundings is outstanding.”

Re: Neil Harris 'proud of the performance' after defeat v Norwich City

Harris really doesn't help himself.

We weren’t playing Liverpool , it was a Norwich team missing several key players but hey we have to be proud we only lost by one goal - we were in the premier league 2 seasons ago, we should be competing with Norwich, not treating it like it’s no disgrace to lose at home to them.

Though we improved in the second half Norwich saw the game out quite comfortably. It’s like we’re now writing off games against the top 6 which is just embarrassing

Given that I've said we must get a new manager, his comments are true because we are struggling through injury with certain areas although some other areas are very good .
    They did very well with a makeshift defence and midfield.

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    Given that I've said we must get a new manager, his comments are true because we are struggling through injury with certain areas although some other areas are very good .
    They did very well with a makeshift defence and midfield.
    See the Norwich managers comments, they were missing 4 first team players including their star striker and played a kid in goals who we hardly tested

Hopefully we can defend deep against QPR in the next game and maybe get a point, we’re settling for less

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone View Post
    We weren’t playing Liverpool , it was a Norwich team missing several key players but hey we have to be proud we only lost by one goal - we were in the premier league 2 seasons ago, we should be competing with Norwich, not treating it like it’s no disgrace to lose at home to them.

Though we improved in the second half Norwich saw the game out quite comfortably. It’s like we’re now writing off games against the top 6 which is just embarrassing
    I think most city players gave 100%. Problem is much of this team is of so limited ability the game was over as a contest after 3 minutes. The difference in quality in midfield highlighted where we are and that's a mid-table team.

Quote Originally Posted by Pug View Post
    The difference in quality in midfield highlighted where we are and that's a mid-table team.
    Quite optimistic, for you..

Getting into Slade territory of constantly exaggerating the opposition.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    I wish he would get into Slade territory with regard to league position.

He’s a busted flush !!!

Reading the two views from the managers you'd think that both sides won and that it was an outstanding game to watch!

I didn't get the feeling that we could get anything from the game the moment they scored their second.
    Without being dominant, Norwich didn't look to be in much trouble and although we pulled one back, they were pretty comfortable.

I just hope that the new boys can add a bit of positivity to the squad and make the current crop play for the shirt.
    We could all do with a lift and a change of personnel could be just what the doctor ordered.

What I do wish more than anything though is that people will stop calling for the manager's head.
    It's really not helping the situation at all and is completely out of our hands anyway.

Bring on the 'R's

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Reading the two views from the managers you'd think that both sides won and that it was an outstanding game to watch!

I didn't get the feeling that we could get anything from the game the moment they scored their second.
    Without being dominant, Norwich didn't look to be in much trouble and although we pulled one back, they were pretty comfortable.

I just hope that the new boys can add a bit of positivity to the squad and make the current crop play for the shirt.
    We could all do with a lift and a change of personnel could be just what the doctor ordered.

What I do wish more than anything though is that people will stop calling for the manager's head.
    It's really not helping the situation at all and is completely out of our hands anyway.

Bring on the 'R's
    I think with 11 on the pitch we could have made the last 20 very uncomfortable. Moore was making a big impact and their keeper looked well dodgy.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    Warnock territory*

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone View Post

Well said, I'd written the same sort of thing in my blog piece - we play underdog football and have had an inferiority complex for years.