+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gavin Whyte - did he cost 2.2m?

Gavin Whyte - did he cost 2.2m?

Looking at NW's transfer record, did we really spend 2m pounds on Gavin Whyte?
    The site shows a rather impressive 150m career total or just short of 20m/promotion (if you're a NW critic). Wonder how much he spent while not in the top league.

Re: Gavin Whyte - did he cost 2.2m?

Yes. Warnock’s business last summer was horrendous.

Whyte Flint Glatzel Vassell Pack.

What a window.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Yes. Warnock’s business last summer was horrendous.
    With hindsight, it was also horrendous when going into the premier league. £20 plus million on Murphy and Reid who have contributed so little here could have been spent better.

Cardiff City paid Oxford United £1.98m for Gavin Whyte
    Brentford paid Oxford United £675k for Tariqe Fosu-Henry

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    With hindsight, it was also horrendous when going into the premier league. £20 plus million on Murphy and Reid who have contributed so little here could have been spent better.
    Reid at least has proven himself to be a competent Premier League player for Fulham, six goals this season

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post

What a window.
    Terrible.

I don't think Reid was a bad signing but signing him and then not using him was just stupid.

What a window.
    Agreed. Shocking.

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Reid at least has proven himself to be a competent Premier League player for Fulham, six goals this season
    I see the theory behind both signings but were so far out of Warnock's style that he didn't seem to trust them and therefore for us both have been very expensive bench options. Was there a player like Mitrovic out there who had a better first touch and better movement than Patterson/more consistent than Zohore who could have produced more for similar money or maybe even less?

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    Terrible.

I don't think Reid was a bad signing but signing him and then not using him was just stupid.

I still don't think he's that good !!!!!! I for one wouldn't buy him again

Whyte would have been ok if we had a quicker midfield for an additional outlet. It’s my biggest bugbear of Cardiff is it’s midfield pace. Also crossing the ball directly to Glatzel is pointless he’s not quick nor strong enough. He’s not a target man and he’s not a on the shoulder into the channels man either. I’ve seen him for the last 2 games run the channels, and the odd occasions he gets onto the ball he’s on the 18 yard line with no one to pass to as they’re so slow. Needs to be played with Moore or as a false 9.

That’s going off topic but I don’t see Whyte slotting in any roles with his attributes

Either we lost sight of who we were as a club (athletic bully boys) or we’ve tried to transition to a different style and got cold feet when it got rocky.

Either way we’re looking poor and somewhat directionless

Hope Harris’ signings work out but let’s be honest, in this league they are cheap gambles so if he’s got to make diamonds out of coal.

What a window.
    What makes it worse is the fees paid.

Circa £17m for that lot. They are not cheap punts

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    I see the theory behind both signings but were so far out of Warnock's style that he didn't seem to trust them and therefore for us both have been very expensive bench options. Was there a player like Mitrovic out there who had a better first touch and better movement than Patterson/more consistent than Zohore who could have produced more for similar money or maybe even less?
    Mitrovic was £22m.

He was never in our price range

Was anyone out there like Mitro for less? Always, but it’s generally a gamble.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    What makes it worse is the fees paid.

Circa £17m for that lot. They are not cheap punts
    Good job P is nowhere near C on the keyboard

Pack is decent player. The rest of them are garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    I would, in a different system, Reid was too quick of thought for our plodders. We should have looked after him, kept him happy and made him one of the foundations in the building of team with new perspective. Some rightly moan that we should be bringing in players to help us move away from the up and under image when it’s a crime that we alienated players like Bobby Reid, a player who was already with us.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    I would, in a different system, Reid was too quick of thought for our plodders. We should have looked after him, kept him happy and made him one of the foundations in the building of team with new perspective. Some rightly moan that we should be bringing in players to help us move away from the up and under image when it’s a crime that we alienated players like Bobby Reid, a player who was already with us.
    The team that started at Old Trafford at the end of the season should have been the way we set up the whole season. Warnock botted it, paid far too much respect and we still got battered

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    The team that started at Old Trafford at the end of the season should have been the way we set up the whole season. Warnock botted it, paid far too much respect and we still got battered
    I was really positive after coming back watching that game. Fair enough, I was relatively well oiled so that helped but we definitely had a blue print to go forwards from next season and Warnock went, "nah". If Reid was quicker and stronger, he'd be a hell of a footballer, he's really intelligent.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    That was no fluke that day, we outfought them, outpaced them, outplayed them. That system had to be persevered with at the start of the next season, so annoying that it wasn’t, had the chance to blow most Championship teams away but Warnock sadly reverted to type.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    That was no fluke that day, we outfought them, outpaced them, outplayed them. That system had to be persevered with at the start of the next season, so annoying that it wasn’t, had the chance to blow most Championship teams away but Warnock sadly reverted to type.
    Not only that but he really doubled down, bringing in the likes of Flint and shipping out Zohore and Reid

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Mitrovic was £22m.

He was never in our price range

Was anyone out there like Mitro for less? Always, but it’s generally a gamble.
    That's why you check before posting

Danny Ward was probably the striker who best fitted Warnock's team in the premier league. As others have pointed out, the football under Warnock wasn't that bad but it's the team he left us with (think ToBW described it once as doubling down on players to fit Warnockball), how much he spent doing that and how long contracts were given for that's the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    He's a decent player, that's all, nothing spectacular about him. Same with Camarasa, half decent if things are going his way, a bit of a baby and a lack of character when we were in the shit, which was most of the time. Glatzel has never been any good, but until recently there were people saying that his piss poor form was down to our style of play, and Harry Wilson is receiving a free pass by the majority, even though he doesn't work hard enough for my liking, although he does have obvious ability.

The problem is that as a fan base, we have been massively starved of creative players who can also take a grip on a game. When we see a little bit of creativity we seem to lose our shit and proclaim the second coming, i suppose it's understandable, given the fact that the last real player we had who could drive into the opposition third was Koumas.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    He's a decent player, that's all, nothing spectacular about him. Same with Camarasa, half decent if things are going his way, a bit of a baby and a lack of character when we were in the shit, which was most of the time. Glatzel has never been any good, but until recently there were people saying that his piss poor form was down to our style of play, and Harry Wilson is receiving a free pass by the majority, even though he doesn't work hard enough for my liking, although he does have obvious ability.

The problem is that as a fan base, we have been massively starved of creative players who can also take a grip on a game. When we see a little bit of creativity we seem to lose our shit and proclaim the second coming, i suppose it's understandable, given the fact that the last real player we had who could drive into the opposition third was Koumas, when he was in the mood to play, which wasn't that often looking back

Finished the sentence for you (rose tinted glasses and all that)

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Cardiff City paid Oxford United £1.98m for Gavin Whyte
    Brentford paid Oxford United £675k for Tariqe Fosu-Henry
    Whyte makes me think of Paul Parry (apart from the fact that he cost 75k)

Quote Originally Posted by bigjoe View Post
    Whyte makes me think of Paul Parry (apart from the fact that he cost 75k)
    Was 2 inches taller, had dark hair, with a beard & moustache, and two stone lighter, they were identical