+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nobody new in centre midfield?

Nobody new in centre midfield?

At the end of last season I suggested that centre midfield was a weakness that needed improving.

Scroll on to today. We've signed a striker. A centre back is on its way, probably a right back as well. No complaints necessarily, but....

What use is another forward if we don't create chances for them?

What's the point of another centre back when our centre midfield backs off and allows pressure on our back four?

I really hope Harris has plans to improve the middle of the park. Otherwise we'll just continue long ball bollocks.

Re: Nobody new in centre midfield?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    At the end of last season I suggested that centre midfield was a weakness that needed improving.

Scroll on to today. We've signed a striker. A centre back is on its way, probably a right back as well. No complaints necessarily, but....

What's the point of another centre back when our centre midfield backs off and allows pressure on our back four?

I really hope Harris has plans to improve the middle of the park. Otherwise we'll just continue long ball bollocks.
    Absolutely right, the weak midfield is why we are losing games. Even with a threadbare defense we are fairly solid at the back. We just don't move the ball quickly or have any vision to penetrate teams.

Why have we signed a new striker? Answer 1:

Glatzel has managed 3 attempts on target since he opened the scoring 6 games ago against Birmingham.

If anyone offered a soggy, stuck bag of cola cubes for him, I'd be tempted. He's had a glorious opportunity to stake a place in the starting line up after Moore's injury. Some were suggesting he should have been given more of a go. Instead, he's been almost fecking useless.
    Answer 2: Do we need to sign a striker? Yes, we only have three fit ones and that could be just two by the end of the year. If we don't want to run Moore into the ground again we sign a new striker.

Do we need to sign a RB? Yes, Bacuna is better in midfield, Osei-tutu is out for a number of weeks yet and at the end of the year you could argue we don't have a RB at the club.

Do we need to sign a CB? Yes, we have one fit but out of form CB and at the end of the year we have three CB's one of which we'll probably try to move on again as their wages are more than what they have contributed so far.

Do we need to sign a midfielder? We have four fit, senior players who can play in central midfield; at the end of the year we'll have the same four players who can play there and at least two of those given contracts when we had money to spend. Improvements in this area are key to improving our performance but it's not like there is a gaping hole waiting to be filled now or in the near future, unless you make Ralls a 10 or Bacuna a RB going forward.

I suppose if we bring in a RB we can move Bacuna into cm which although not massively different to the others we have there, he does have some pace and can run with the ball.

In terms of creativity we can play Wilson at 10, if Tomlin returns then he plays there.

What I don't think works is a 3 of Ralls, Pack and Vaulks. Pack does actually have a decent eye for a pass just very rarely tries something, that or the movement off the ball just isn't there, probably a combination of the two.

A RB and CB are more pressing but longer term CM does need a bit if an overhaul. Not just creatively but we don't have a proper DM, ralls and Vaulks are neither particularly attacking or defensive minded. They have a good engine and you need one of them type of players but we could at times do with someone who can really break play up.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post

Totally agree. It's obvious there's absolutely zero creativity without Tomlin - no-one on the bench or in the squad.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Do we need to sign a midfielder? We have four fit, senior players who can play in central midfield; at the end of the year we'll have the same four players who can play there and at least two of those given contracts when we had money to spend. Improvements in this area are key to improving our performance but it's not like there is a gaping hole waiting to be filled now or in the near future, unless you make Ralls a 10 or Bacuna a RB going forward.
    It hasn't escaped my attention that we're one of the poorer sides in the Championship at creating chances in open play. If those 4 are still vying for the central midfield positions next season, it'll be plainly obvious that we'll continue to be a long ball side, one that plays a totally different way to the under 23s and youth sides, making progression to the first team harder.

it would be very nice to be able to address the central midfield area, but the squad was a but of a mess after warnock, with so many old players and players contracts expiring that we haven't been able to.
    right back, left back, centre back, and both wings needed addressing first

I was amazed at how good that kid for Norwich looked (was made to look) yesterday.

I can't remember the last time I saw a player like Cantwell in our midfield.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    it would be very nice to be able to address the central midfield area, but the squad was a but of a mess after warnock, with so many old players and players contracts expiring that we haven't been able to.
    right back, left back, centre back, and both wings needed addressing first
    This. I think we should look to sign one centre mid though once we get the centre back and right back spots filled if possible. We are going to need a near total rebuild.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    This. I think we should look to sign one centre mid though once we get the centre back and right back spots filled if possible. We are going to need a near total rebuild.
    if Bennett and hoilett sign a contract extension then it's only right wing, which could probably be addressed with loans again next season. so in theory we could look at CM, but you'd have to wonder how much money is left, especially given we are losing parachute payments in the summer.

Because we have numbers in central midfield he won't conisider strengthening even though quality is severely lacking. Weakest part of the squad IMO.

Unless he is happy with what he has for the style he wants to play.

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    Unless he is happy with what he has for the style he wants to play.
    That’s why I think central midfield should have been a priority last summer - if Neil Harris was being honest with his stuff about moving away from what we saw in the latter days of Neil Warnock’s time with us, then we needed someone who could things ticking over by giving and taking passes at a decent pace in a manner which creates space both for themselves or for their team mates. Norwich had two such players. in McLean and Skipp, whereas we have Marlon Pack who I’m afraid tends to devalue his passing ability by slowing things down too much.

That said it’s a two way thing - there was an incident in the first half where Joel Bagan did well to, first, break up an attack and, second, to cut inside to create a counter attack chance, but, through no fault of his own, he ended up running down a blind alley because the lack of movement in front of him meant he had absolutely no one to pass to.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    That’s why I think central midfield should have been a priority last summer - if Neil Harris was being honest with his stuff about moving away from what we saw in the latter days of Neil Warnock’s time with us, then we needed someone who could things ticking over by giving and taking passes at a decent pace in a manner which creates space both for themselves or for their team mates. Norwich had two such players. in McLean and Skipp, whereas we have Marlon Pack who I’m afraid tends to devalue his passing ability by slowing things down too much.

That said it’s a two way thing - there was an incident in the first half where Joel Bagan did well to, first, break up an attack and, second, to cut inside to create a counter attack chance, but, through no fault of his own, he ended up running down a blind alley because the lack of movement in front of him meant he had absolutely no one to pass to.
    100% agree. Would add that with Tomlin, Ralls and Pack all red-carded this season, that's an indication of just how bad things are in our set-up (they panic, are slow and get frustrated). Gunnersson (the fit version) has never been replaced (by Warnock or Harris) and we really miss that. We don't create enough in midfield to give any of our strikers enough chances in open play because we're slow or just give the ball away (our defenders are guilty of that too). Pack's inch-perfect through ball to Wilson this season is the best we've seen but that's the only one we've seen him or anyone produce since Tomlin's brilliant stint last season.

Aren't we linked with Hourihane?

One further point I would like to make, how do we know we haven't been looking at a new central midfielder? Each player available may have been another long contract without improving that part of the pitch and we've been quickly turned down for players who would be genuinely good buys.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Aren't we linked with Hourihane?
    I really hope this isn't true. He's 30 next month.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    In time for "YOUNG PLAYER of THE YEAR" then

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    In time for "YOUNG PLAYER of THE YEAR" then

ffs - don't encourage him. Could see that well-worn 'joke' coming a mile off.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Paget Flashman View Post
    I was amazed at how good that kid for Norwich looked (was made to look) yesterday.

We made Cantwell look like Socrates yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Paget Flashman View Post

I’ve only seen Cantwell in our games against Norwich, so can only comment on his performances in those. He seemed to have acres of space when on the ball, is that due to his ability or, more likely, the lack of mobility in our midfield? I’m more inclined towards the latter as if he’s performing like this game in/game out I’m surprised he hasn’t been snapped up by a middle of the table Premier League club. It’s us isn’t it, it’s us that made him look like Iniesta.

I agree but I was definitely in the minority on here the other day when I questioned new contracts for Hoillett and Bennett. As Pedro said earlier, I think we need a rebuild.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    We made Cantwell look like Socrates yesterday.
    Don't look nothing like him !!!!!!

https://uk.images.search.yahoo.com/s...M&action=click

Quote Originally Posted by Cyncoed Slumdog View Post
    I agree but I was definitely in the minority on here the other day when I questioned new contracts for Hoillett and Bennett. As Pedro said earlier, I think we need a rebuild.
    Hourihane is streets ahead of our centre mids, though. He's got a good few years in him, yet. If we were to go after anyone, it would be Mowatt for me as he's out of contract in the summer.