+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Nobody new in centre midfield?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Nobody new in centre midfield?

Unless he is happy with what he has for the style he wants to play.

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    Unless he is happy with what he has for the style he wants to play.
    That’s why I think central midfield should have been a priority last summer - if Neil Harris was being honest with his stuff about moving away from what we saw in the latter days of Neil Warnock’s time with us, then we needed someone who could things ticking over by giving and taking passes at a decent pace in a manner which creates space both for themselves or for their team mates. Norwich had two such players. in McLean and Skipp, whereas we have Marlon Pack who I’m afraid tends to devalue his passing ability by slowing things down too much.

That said it’s a two way thing - there was an incident in the first half where Joel Bagan did well to, first, break up an attack and, second, to cut inside to create a counter attack chance, but, through no fault of his own, he ended up running down a blind alley because the lack of movement in front of him meant he had absolutely no one to pass to.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    That’s why I think central midfield should have been a priority last summer - if Neil Harris was being honest with his stuff about moving away from what we saw in the latter days of Neil Warnock’s time with us, then we needed someone who could things ticking over by giving and taking passes at a decent pace in a manner which creates space both for themselves or for their team mates. Norwich had two such players. in McLean and Skipp, whereas we have Marlon Pack who I’m afraid tends to devalue his passing ability by slowing things down too much.

That said it’s a two way thing - there was an incident in the first half where Joel Bagan did well to, first, break up an attack and, second, to cut inside to create a counter attack chance, but, through no fault of his own, he ended up running down a blind alley because the lack of movement in front of him meant he had absolutely no one to pass to.
    100% agree. Would add that with Tomlin, Ralls and Pack all red-carded this season, that's an indication of just how bad things are in our set-up (they panic, are slow and get frustrated). Gunnersson (the fit version) has never been replaced (by Warnock or Harris) and we really miss that. We don't create enough in midfield to give any of our strikers enough chances in open play because we're slow or just give the ball away (our defenders are guilty of that too). Pack's inch-perfect through ball to Wilson this season is the best we've seen but that's the only one we've seen him or anyone produce since Tomlin's brilliant stint last season.

One further point I would like to make, how do we know we haven't been looking at a new central midfielder? Each player available may have been another long contract without improving that part of the pitch and we've been quickly turned down for players who would be genuinely good buys.