+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Harris's comments after Saturdays match "Watters signing was a club decision"

Harris's comments after Saturdays match "Watters signing was a club decision"

Apologies if I have missed this being covered in another thread, but I can't see discussion on the comment Harris made in his post match press conference where on two separate occasions he strongly intimated that the Watters signing was orchestrated by the club and now him.

Unsurprisingly none of the journalists picked him up on this at the time, but it's surely an important development and could indicate the club are working towards Harris not being here.

And if its not Harris that has requested the player to be signed who has? Surely not Dalman or Choo?

Re: Harris's comments after Saturdays match "Watters signing was a club decision"

Quote Originally Posted by Disco Des View Post
    Apologies if I have missed this being covered in another thread, but I can't see discussion on the comment Harris made in his post match press conference where on two separate occasions he strongly intimated that the Watters signing was orchestrated by the club and now him.

Unsurprisingly none of the journalists picked him up on this at the time, but it's surely an important development and could indicate the club are working towards Harris not being here.

And if its not Harris that has requested the player to be signed who has? Surely not Dalman or Choo?
    I hadn't bothered with the post match interviews from Saturday, but just watched Neil Harris' interview on the back of your message. He did seem to be keen to emphasise the club's involvement in the Watters transfer, but I'm not sure he said it was at the club's insistence. What I heard was him saying that the club have decided that they want to go down the road of signing younger players than before and that he was okay with that - he also said later in the interview that the Board were backing him during the transfer window. It did seem a bit of an odd way to describe the transfer, but it didn't leave me feeling that Watters had been signed over Neil Harris' head.

Our manager also said that Lee Tomlin is out for the season - that was news to me.

Re: Harris's comments after Saturdays match "Watters signing was a club decision"

Surprising, but if the intent is still to bring someone else in for Harris why not do it before the approached to Simpson or Guilbert ? Maybe a different manager would have made a difference ? Let’s face it Neil Harris is not a draw for any player.

International

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I hadn't bothered with the post match interviews from Saturday, but just watched Neil Harris' interview on the back of your message. He did seem to be keen to emphasise the club's involvement in the Watters transfer, but I'm not sure he said it was at the club's insistence. What I heard was him saying that the club have decided that they want to go down the road of signing younger players than before and that he was okay with that - he also said later in the interview that the Board were backing him during the transfer window. It did seem a bit of an odd way to describe the transfer, but it didn't leave me feeling that Watters had been signed over Neil Harris' head.

Our manager also said that Lee Tomlin is out for the season - that was news to me.
    It may be news but should we really be surprised. After all, he has got his contract.

I’d be surprised if Dalman and Choo had ever heard of Watters, Crawley or even League 2

I've listened and he's said no Lee Tomlin for the season, I think he means he's not had him at all, rather than he's out for the season but I could be wrong. That's how I understood it anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    I've listened and he's said no Lee Tomlin for the season, I think he means he's not had him at all, rather than he's out for the season but I could be wrong. That's how I understood it anyway!
    You may be right, but we did have Tomlin at the start of the season - it wasn’t the 19/20 Tomlin, but he played, and scored, for us before his injury.

I LOVE that post !
    Very intelligent and perceptive observation , and you might well be onto something there which I , for one , had missed altogether .

You may be right, but we did have Tomlin at the start of the season - it wasn’t the 19/20 Tomlin, but he played, and scored, for us before his injury.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55720220

Tomlin back within a month, good news

Isn't that what a DoF system would do? Ensure that the club can bring in players yes with managers input but predominantly fitting a profile the club wants going forward and not being fully reliant on the manager's contacts.

Aren't all signings club decisions these days? Even if Harris finds the player he still has to go through the transfer committee. No?

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Isn't that what a DoF system would do? Ensure that the club can bring in players yes with managers input but predominantly fitting a profile the club wants going forward and not being fully reliant on the manager's contacts.
    I noticed that the Bournemouth manager didn't seem to be very involved in the Simpson negotiations because 'thingd like that are handled upstairs'. I don't know their structure but I assume they have somebody upstairs with football knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyncoed Slumdog View Post
    I noticed that the Bournemouth manager didn't seem to be very involved in the Simpson negotiations because 'thingd like that are handled upstairs'. I don't know their structure but I assume they have somebody UPSTAIRS with football knowledge.

Our lot,don't know their Dulux from their Crown !!!!!!

Subbed off after 55 minutes tonight.

of course it was... same can be said on behalf of the last 5-6 managers too

I thought he looked okay. Will improve.