+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: How many million pound plus signings?

How many million pound plus signings?

How many million pound and over signings have we made since our first visit to the Premier league that we've lost money on, or mutually agreed to cancel their contracts, and how many have we made a profit on? I don't know, but thought it would be interesting to compile a list. I doubt it would make for good reading.

Re: How many million pound plus signings?

We have made a total loss of £60 million on 15 players but a 50p profit on Decordova-Reid

I'm not sure about the cost of all these - a lot of the fees are listed as undisclosed even if various media have quoted values - but I think this is the full list of permanent transfers in over £1m since the summer of 2013:

Andreas Cornelius, John Brayford, Steven Caulker, Gary Medel, Kevin Theophile-Catherine, Peter Odemwinge, Magnus Wolff Eikrem, Mats Moeller Dahli, Jo Inge Berget, Fabio, Adam Le Fondre, Sean Morrison, Bruno Ecule Manga, Lex Immers, Rickie Lambert, Danny Ward, Lee Tomlin, Gary Madine, Greg Cunningham, Josh Murphy, Bobby Decordova-Reid, Alex Smithies, (Emiliano Sala), Leandro Bacuna, Will Vaulks, Aden Flint, Gavin Whyte, Robert Glatzel, Marlon Pack, Keifer Moore.

I think the club got its' money back on Caulker, Medel and Decordova-Reid.

A lot of fees were just under £1m, and some are hard to find (like Guido Burgstaller, Kagisho Dikgacoi and Javi Guerra) that maybe should be on the list.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    I'm not sure about the cost of all these - a lot of the fees are listed as undisclosed even if various media have quoted values - but I think this is the full list of permanent transfers in over £1m since the summer of 2013:

Andreas Cornelius, John Brayford, Steven Caulker, Gary Medel, Kevin Theophile-Catherine, Peter Odemwinge, Magnus Wolff Eikrem, Mats Moeller Dahli, Jo Inge Berget, Fabio, Adam Le Fondre, Sean Morrison, Bruno Ecule Manga, Lex Immers, Rickie Lambert, Danny Ward, Lee Tomlin, Gary Madine, Greg Cunningham, Josh Murphy, Bobby Decordova-Reid, Alex Smithies, (Emiliano Sala), Leandro Bacuna, Will Vaulks, Aden Flint, Gavin Whyte, Robert Glatzel, Marlon Pack, Keifer Moore.

I think the club got its' money back on Caulker, Medel and Decordova-Reid.

A lot of fees were just under £1m, and some are hard to find (like Guido Burgstaller, Kagisho Dikgacoi and Javi Guerra) that maybe should be on the list.
    Burgstaller, Dikgacoi and Guerrra were all 'free' signings but of course there would have been signing on fees and agents fees plus wages.

Cornelius was a big loss, although we got our money back on Medel and Caulker and I believe Theophile Catherine or maybe £1.5m. We are supposed to have got back £1.5m for Brayford too. Odemwingie went in a player exchange deal for Kenwynne Jones, who was later freed. Eikram and Berget had they contracts mutually terminated but I think we got £2m for Daehli? And £2m from Middlesbrough for Fabio who allegedly cost us nothing, but not sure. Le Fondre went for nothing, Manga we got back about £2.5m for. Lambert retired. Immers contract cancelled after paying £1m for him, not sure what happened about that. Ward released. Madine we know about.

I reckon there's about £103m spent on those players, plus fees and wages. We seem to have got back about £30m, with Morrison, Cunningham, Smithies, Tomlin, Murphy, Bacuna, Whyte , Vaulks, Moore, Glatzel and Pack still here at an outlay of about £40m. What are they worth now?? Probably less than £10m on the lot.

So not great is it? Having said that I think Harris has done well to get Moore for £1-5-2m and the loan players. It does feel a bit like 'Russell Slade time again'!

So it would appear the club's fabled transfer committee has not had the greatest of success so far.....

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    Burgstaller, Dikgacoi and Guerrra were all 'free' signings but of course there would have been signing on fees and agents fees plus wages.

Cornelius was a big loss, although we got our money back on Medel and Caulker and I believe Theophile Catherine or maybe £1.5m. We are supposed to have got back £1.5m for Brayford too. Odemwingie went in a player exchange deal for Kenwynne Jones, who was later freed. Eikram and Berget had they contracts mutually terminated but I think we got £2m for Daehli? And £2m from Middlesbrough for Fabio who allegedly cost us nothing, but not sure. Le Fondre went for nothing, Manga we got back about £2.5m for. Lambert retired. Immers contract cancelled after paying £1m for him, not sure what happened about that. Ward released. Madine we know about.

I reckon there's about £103m spent on those players, plus fees and wages. We seem to have got back about £30m, with Morrison, Cunningham, Smithies, Tomlin, Murphy, Bacuna, Whyte , Vaulks, Moore, Glatzel and Pack still here at an outlay of about £40m. What are they worth now?? Probably less than £10m on the lot.

So not great is it? Having said that I think Harris has done well to get Moore for £1-5-2m and the loan players. It does feel a bit like 'Russell Slade time again'!
    We'd get more than £10m for that bunch in normal times, easy. Morrison & Moore alone would fetch at least £10m

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post

And people on this forum say that Tan hasn’t spent any money! He’s certainly spent millions but most of it was wasted by Our Managers recruitment of crap players! Harris so far has spent less than probably any Manager under Tan and recruited well but unfortunately this season can’t see to motivate his team! Perhaps try him as Director of Football responsible for Recruitment and the Academy with someone like Bellamy brought in as Head Coach!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    So it would appear the club's fabled transfer committee has not had the greatest of success so far.....
    Think prior to the so-called transfer committee was worse.

I believe this might answer your question:

http://thejsc.co.uk/2021/01/analysis-transfer-policy/

Quote Originally Posted by FormerlyJohnnyBreadhead View Post
    I believe this might answer your question:

http://thejsc.co.uk/2021/01/analysis-transfer-policy/
    Very Interesting read, agree that we need a Director of Football to look after Recruitment and oversee the Academy, Neil Harris? with Bellamy as Head Coach?