+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: This is concerning. Covid DNR

This is concerning. Covid DNR

I've got a mate that has just come out of The Heath Hospital with covid who is 56.
    He has lost the function of both lungs but has pulled through it even after he was at deaths door for 4 weeks over Christmas.
    They sent him home 2 days ago and he needs oxygen for 16 hours a day.
    When he was leaving hospital they gave him an envelope to give to the ambulance driver who was taking him home
    Being the nosey bugger that he is, he opened it and read it only to see that it said, "Do not recesitate" its not in patients best interest.
    My mate was fuming and sick with worry.
    He swears he never signed anything but the hospital said that his brother gave permission.
    He is really close to his brother and his brother swears he would never ever have agreed to this.
    I wonder if this is wide scale. Not just care homes but hospitals too.
    They are just playing God.
    He would never have known that he had this DNR against his name if he hadn't opened that letter.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-patients.html

Re: This is concerning. Covid DNR

That's terrible

2 Care Homes ive dealt with recently 100 per cent ask the family about DNR.

I cant believe they would do this.

Don't they state the name of the family member who they discussed it with. My mothers was a few years back.

It'll also be signed by two clinicians, if its true there'll be an audit trail.

Yes they said his brother but they are very close and he would never have given any permission let alone sign anything.
    It is really frightening.
    If you know anyone that has gone into hospital with covid I really recommend you contact the hospital and check they are not on the DNR list as they have 100% made this up and he is now getting a solicitor involved as he is scared shitless incase he haves a heart attack or something in the meantime

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Paget Flashman View Post
    Don't they state the name of the family member who they discussed it with. My mothers was a few years back.

It'll also be signed by two clinicians, if its true there'll be an audit trail.
    If you want to avoid having a DNR get a lasting power of attorney. That requires all matters relating to health to be discussed and agreed with the person you nominate as your attorney. (There is also a separate lasting power of attorney for finance.) Both can be done online easily and cost £83 each.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    If you want to avoid having a DNR get a lasting power of attorney. That requires all matters relating to health to be discussed and agreed with the person you nominate as your attorney. (There is also a separate lasting power of attorney for finance.) Both can be done online easily and cost £83 each.
    Cheers mate.
    Just recommended this to him

International

Maybe his brother did give permission in the 4 weeks that he was so sick and now he has recovered his brother is too embarrassed or distraught about him finding out that he won't admit it, to save your mate's feelings as well as his own.

The answe to 'is it wide scale", I don't know, but I can tell you the same occurred when my Mother was admitted to the Heath after a fall in her Care Home. I was given copies of the documents which were to go to the Home's Doctor and in a small box at the bottom it had 'DNR'. At this stage of life she was had dememtia and was quite frail, but hadn't been in hospital for years - when she would have been fit and healthy. Neither I nor my Brother would have given permission.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    The answe to 'is it wide scale", I don't know, but I can tell you the same occurred when my Mother was admitted to the Heath after a fall in her Care Home. I was given copies of the documents which were to go to the Home's Doctor and in a small box at the bottom it had 'DNR'. At this stage of life she was had dememtia and was quite frail, but hadn't been in hospital for years - when she would have been fit and healthy. Neither I nor my Brother would have given permission.
    That is mad. Just how big a scale are these hospitals and care homes doing this and how are they getting away with it?
    Its like they are doing a big cull of people without your consent or knowledge.
    How many people that are dying are they putting down as covid and not actually bothering to help people who are needing any type of the simplest of medical care who would normally survive if treated, but are being left to die and no questions are being asked as unknown to the family the person they love had this DNR order on they're name. It's scandalous

DNR is on forms. But they ask for permission or if it should be agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    DNR is on forms. But they ask for permission or if it should be agreed.
    It should be but it doesn't look like it's happening.
    If you know anyone close to you going in with covid, just double Check that they haven't added your loved one onto this list without you knowing.
    Make it clear from the start you are dead against it

Quote Originally Posted by uncle bob View Post
    It should be but it doesn't look like it's happening.
    If you know anyone close to you going in with covid, just double Check that they haven't added your loved one onto this list without you knowing.
    Make it clear from the start you are dead against it
    Unfortunate wording

He has made a complaint to the hospital and thankfully they have now taken him off the list.
    He will have it sent in writing today.

Well someone in Welsh health is making these policy decisions.

I don't suppose it will challenged , probably get hidden away with the rest of the failing health policies over the last few decades in Wales .

Mr Drakeford was the Health minister before his new role as First Minister 😳