+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: FAO Steve The Tea , Monmouth Canal

FAO Steve The Tea , Monmouth Canal

You live up by north cwmbran dont you ?

Does the canal run by you ?

I went fishing many years ago with a mutual friend who lost his battle with cancer for a spot of chilling many years ago who said you lived nearby ?

It was a bit overgrown and full of rubbish back then , is it cleaned up now ? Its a lovely little canal , do people still fish it ?

Re: FAO Steve The Tea , Monmouth Canal

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    You live up by north cwmbran dont you ?

Does the canal run by you ?

I went fishing many years ago with a mutual friend who lost his battle with cancer for a spot of chilling many years ago who said you lived nearby ?

It was a bit overgrown and full of rubbish back then , is it cleaned up now ? Its a lovely little canal , do people still fish it ?
    The Monmouthsire & Brecon Canal runs north from Cwmbran through the villages of Sebastopol and Grffithstown towards Pontypool and the north. It seems pretty clear these days on the stretches I've walked, very occasionally seeing people fishing. To what extent it is worth making a day of it fishing I wouldn't know. Suggest you get on a fishing m/b and ask before making the decision to travel northward. Goytre Wharf is quite a nice location though for a quiet afternoon. The Goytre Angling Club fishes between bridges 73 & 77 according to the website.

https://www.goytrewharf.com/
    https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy...d-brecon-canal

StT.
    <><

I was walking on it yesterday in the Abergavenny area and have done for the last couple of years. It's lovely from Pontypool to Brecon but from Pontypool down it starts getting hemmed in by houses and industrial units and has even been built over in places. It can be seen adjacent to the M4 just before the tunnels.
    I'm not a fisherman and can't remember seeing anybody fishing in it the whole time I've been walking it.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve the Tea View Post
    The Monmouthsire & Brecon Canal runs north from Cwmbran through the villages of Sebastopol and Grffithstown towards Pontypool and the north. It seems pretty clear these days on the stretches I've walked, very occasionally seeing people fishing. To what extent it is worth making a day of it fishing I wouldn't know. Suggest you get on a fishing m/b and ask before making the decision to travel northward. Goytre Wharf is quite a nice location though for a quiet afternoon. The Goytre Angling Club fishes between bridges 73 & 77 according to the website.

https://www.goytrewharf.com/
    https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy...d-brecon-canal

StT.
    <><
    Thank you very much sir

Quote Originally Posted by Cyncoed Slumdog View Post
    I was walking on it yesterday in the Abergavenny area and have done for the last couple of years. It's lovely from Pontypool to Brecon but from Pontypool down it starts getting hemmed in by houses and industrial units and has even been built over in places. It can be seen adjacent to the M4 just before the tunnels.
    I'm not a fisherman and can't remember seeing anybody fishing in it the whole time I've been walking it.
    There is definitely fish in it but the day we fished it , not long before the cup final , it was full of rubbish 😑

Quote Originally Posted by Butterwick Blue View Post
    Going to take a peek at those cheers

Newport to brecon has a canal

Neath to port tenant has a canal

Clydach near Swansea has a canal

The city fathers of Cardiff filled in the Glamorgan canal ! , only a bit of it left up at forest farm Whitchurch, very sad

Dock feeder stream becomes a canal through city centre into Atlantic wharf but its not a true canal