+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Newport GK just scored!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Newport GK just scored!

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Why are they still called ‘The Exiles’, I see that it’s on their badge between 1912 and 1989? Wouldn’t they have been ‘The Ironsides’ between those dates and only exiles when on their West Country magical mystery tour, but now they’re back shouldn’t it revert to the original nickname? Or is the Raymond Burr tv disability worrying them?
    After they went bust the reformed as AFC Newport and then a few years later we’re renamed as Newport County, that’s why Exiles they have that nickname

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    After they went bust the reformed as AFC Newport and then a few years later we’re renamed as Newport County, that’s why Exiles they have that nickname
    I get that but, once back home, it would have been nice to revert to their original moniker.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    I'm not sure what "that’s why Exiles they have that nickname" means but, the Exiles nickname is because the played away from Newport for a few years. It's nothing to do changes in structure of the club or it's name.

BTW, How many goalies have scored from a kick in their own penalty area since Alex Stepney and Pat Jennings did it years ago?

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    I'm not sure what "that’s why Exiles they have that nickname" means but, the Exiles nickname is because the played away from Newport for a few years. It's nothing to do changes in structure of the club or it's name.
    That’s my way of thinking, AFC Newport were the Exiles, Newport County (which they are back to being called) are the Ironsides.