+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newport GK just scored!

Newport GK just scored!

Newport goalie just scored from a massive punt up field, bounced over the Cheltenham keeper and in!

Re: Newport GK just scored!

What a fecking punt

Quote Originally Posted by GL1Blue View Post
    Newport goalie just scored from a massive punt up field, bounced over the Cheltenham keeper and in!
    from a goal kick too.

It was gaining speed the further it went!

Why are they still called ‘The Exiles’, I see that it’s on their badge between 1912 and 1989? Wouldn’t they have been ‘The Ironsides’ between those dates and only exiles when on their West Country magical mystery tour, but now they’re back shouldn’t it revert to the original nickname? Or is the Raymond Burr tv disability worrying them?

Brilliant strike.
    I reckon he meant it too, sure one or two will disagree though.

Good job it bounced. What would the ref have given if it didnt?

Quote Originally Posted by IanD View Post
    Good job it bounced. What would the ref have given if it didnt?
    A 6 obviously!!

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    A 6 obviously!!
    6 if it bounced. The correct decision is....

6 if it bounced. The correct decision is....
    Surely a 4 if it bounced.

Surely a 4 if it bounced.
    Had the ball gone straight in, without entering play, the correct decision is no goal and the ref awards a corner. Same if a GK takes a goal kick and it goes straight into his (or her) own net. Saw this nearly happen when reffing straight after the October 87 Great Storm. A GK took the kick, the ball went up into the air and the wind took it back and just over the bar. Same applies from a throw in if it goes straight in the net without touching the ground or a player.

Why are they still called ‘The Exiles’, I see that it’s on their badge between 1912 and 1989? Wouldn’t they have been ‘The Ironsides’ between those dates and only exiles when on their West Country magical mystery tour, but now they’re back shouldn’t it revert to the original nickname? Or is the Raymond Burr tv disability worrying them?
    After they went bust the reformed as AFC Newport and then a few years later we’re renamed as Newport County, that’s why Exiles they have that nickname

The
    Had the ball gone straight in, without entering play, the correct decision is no goal and the ref awards a corner. Same if a GK takes a goal kick and it goes straight into his (or her) own net. Saw this nearly happen when reffing straight after the October 87 Great Storm. A GK took the kick, the ball went up into the air and the wind took it back and just over the bar. Same applies from a throw in if it goes straight in the net without touching the ground or a player.
    Law 16.
    Procedure.
    Item 2. The ball is in play when it is kicked and clearly moves.

It doesn’t have to bounce.

Law 15 covers the throw in, if it goes directly into the opponents goals, a goal kick is awarded. If it goes directly into the thrower’s goals, a corner kick is awarded.
    Again the ball is live as soon as it enters the field of play, it doesn’t have to bounce.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    After they went bust the reformed as AFC Newport and then a few years later we’re renamed as Newport County, that’s why Exiles they have that nickname
    I get that but, once back home, it would have been nice to revert to their original moniker.

The

Law 16.
    Procedure.
    Item 2. The ball is in play when it is kicked and clearly moves.

It doesn’t have to bounce.
    Someone changed the rules! I'm convinced....years ago admittedly....the ball wasnt in play from a goal kick until it touched another player or the ground. Therefore a corner is awarded if the ball goes directly into the opposition goal directly from a goal kick. Any (old) refs on here who can confirm that change?

Tan signing him up as we speak.

Someone changed the rules! I'm convinced....years ago admittedly....the ball wasnt in play from a goal kick until it touched another player or the ground. Therefore a corner is awarded if the ball goes directly into the opposition goal directly from a goal kick. Any (old) refs on here who can confirm that change?
    I think it’s always been a corner if the ball blows back and goes into the kicker’s goals but I do think that in the past if it went the length of the pitch directly into the opponents goals without touching any other player, a goal kick was awarded to the opponents, not a corner to the kicker’s team. It must be a fairly recent change that a goal is awarded direct from a goal kick but a goal it is as the law now states and Newport’s ‘keeper has proved.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    I'm not sure what "that’s why Exiles they have that nickname" means but, the Exiles nickname is because the played away from Newport for a few years. It's nothing to do changes in structure of the club or it's name.

BTW, How many goalies have scored from a kick in their own penalty area since Alex Stepney and Pat Jennings did it years ago?

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    I'm not sure what "that’s why Exiles they have that nickname" means but, the Exiles nickname is because the played away from Newport for a few years. It's nothing to do changes in structure of the club or it's name.

BTW, How many goalies have scored from a kick in their own penalty area since Alex Stepney and Pat Jennings did it years ago?
    You're right - they weren't allowed to play in Wales by yhe FAW when they wouldn't join the League of Wales and they decided to play in exile on a number of grounds in the Cotswolds, starting with Moreton in the Marsh.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    That’s my way of thinking, AFC Newport were the Exiles, Newport County (which they are back to being called) are the Ironsides.

It doesn’t make any particular sense in their current situation, although sure county fans have an attachment to the ‘exiles’ moniker due to their battle with the FAW and years in the wilderness. I do prefer ‘Ironsides’ myself personally.

I imagine it never had the opportunity to took root for long enough but were the city ever referred to as the ‘riversiders’ at any point in our history?

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Brilliant strike.
    I reckon he meant it too, sure one or two will disagree though.
    Is this a long standing forum joke because there's no way you can believe he meant it haha