+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Newport GK just scored!

Re: Newport GK just scored!

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    I think it’s always been a corner if the ball blows back and goes into the kicker’s goals but I do think that in the past if it went the length of the pitch directly into the opponents goals without touching any other player, a goal kick was awarded to the opponents, not a corner to the kicker’s team. It must be a fairly recent change that a goal is awarded direct from a goal kick but a goal it is as the law now states and Newport’s ‘keeper has proved.
    I think , again, I'm conflating two things. If a keeper takes a goal kick, the wind takes it back into his own net without it being touched...it's a corner. If the keeper tries to save it (or another player) and it goes into his own net...it's a goal. Different of the ball goes into the opposition net. I'll see if rule changes over the years may have given a different interpretation. A mate of mine's brother used to be a ref. His last match was....City v QPR, years back. I'll enquire. In the meantime, I'm looking for an example of a keeper who has scored directly from a goal kick, without the ball touching the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by IanD View Post
    I think , again, I'm conflating two things. If a keeper takes a goal kick, the wind takes it back into his own net without it being touched...it's a corner. If the keeper tries to save it (or another player) and it goes into his own net...it's a goal. Different of the ball goes into the opposition net. I'll see if rule changes over the years may have given a different interpretation. A mate of mine's brother used to be a ref. His last match was....City v QPR, years back. I'll enquire. In the meantime, I'm looking for an example of a keeper who has scored directly from a goal kick, without the ball touching the ground.
    I don't think touching the ground is going to have anything to do with it. Touching another player is understandable.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    He must have a foot like a traction engine.

Quote Originally Posted by IanD View Post
    In the example you give if the keeper touches his own goal kick on the way into their own net it is an indirect free kick to the opposition where it was touched as no other player has touched it (it's like a keeper scuffing a pass and getting to the ball before the forward to clear).

If his own players tries to clear it is a goal.

Quote Originally Posted by Kind of Blue View Post
    It doesn’t make any particular sense in their current situation, although sure county fans have an attachment to the ‘exiles’ moniker due to their battle with the FAW and years in the wilderness. I do prefer ‘Ironsides’ myself personally.

I imagine it never had the opportunity to took root for long enough but were the city ever referred to as the ‘riversiders’ at any point in our history?
    We were known as The Citizens I always thought, and the Echo reporter who covered us in the 1920s pen name was Citizen.

Quote Originally Posted by Kind of Blue View Post
    It doesn’t make any particular sense in their current situation, although sure county fans have an attachment to the ‘exiles’ moniker due to their battle with the FAW and years in the wilderness. I do prefer ‘Ironsides’ myself personally.

I imagine it never had the opportunity to took root for long enough but were the city ever referred to as the ‘riversiders’ at any point in our history?
    An explanation from the official website.

I had forgotten that they had two periods of playing home games in England and that they briefly returned to Somerton Park as they worked their way back up the pyramid. I think the nickname is appropriate given the history of the new club and the journey of the people that saved and resurrected the team. Saying that if it ever happened to us a different name than Bluebirds would be unthinkable!

https://www.newport-county.co.uk/clu...ats-in-a-name/

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    Is this a long standing forum joke because there's no way you can believe he meant it haha

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Just like the sweetest 9 iron you could ever hit. It's the first goal I've ever seen scored directly from a goal kick although there are probably numerous other examples on YouTube.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    I don't think touching the ground is going to have anything to do with it. Touching another player is understandable.
    Only with consent, of course.