+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Newport GK just scored!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Newport GK just scored!

It doesn’t make any particular sense in their current situation, although sure county fans have an attachment to the ‘exiles’ moniker due to their battle with the FAW and years in the wilderness. I do prefer ‘Ironsides’ myself personally.

I imagine it never had the opportunity to took root for long enough but were the city ever referred to as the ‘riversiders’ at any point in our history?

Quote Originally Posted by Kind of Blue View Post
    It doesn’t make any particular sense in their current situation, although sure county fans have an attachment to the ‘exiles’ moniker due to their battle with the FAW and years in the wilderness. I do prefer ‘Ironsides’ myself personally.

I imagine it never had the opportunity to took root for long enough but were the city ever referred to as the ‘riversiders’ at any point in our history?
    We were known as The Citizens I always thought, and the Echo reporter who covered us in the 1920s pen name was Citizen.

Quote Originally Posted by Kind of Blue View Post

An explanation from the official website.

I had forgotten that they had two periods of playing home games in England and that they briefly returned to Somerton Park as they worked their way back up the pyramid. I think the nickname is appropriate given the history of the new club and the journey of the people that saved and resurrected the team. Saying that if it ever happened to us a different name than Bluebirds would be unthinkable!

https://www.newport-county.co.uk/clu...ats-in-a-name/