+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: So, is anybody still behind Harris?

Re: So, is anybody still behind Harris?

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    I hate these stupid expressions such as Harris in lot. They tend to suggest the club is split into cliques

They are fans who happen to have a different view to you.

The silence of those who do not think Harris should be manager spoke volumes at the end of last season as well.

As I pointed out elsewhere Jimmy Scoular, one of the club legendary managers , had several bad patches in his first few years ( didn't win a league game until October , finished 20thth in his second, had a run in his third where we didn't wind for 12 games got 3 points and were 22nd In early November when we next won. We were never above 19th after that ( and that was just for one week and finished 20th again.

A message board then if it had existed would have gone into meltdown. Scoular would probably not even reached his third season and who knows what would have happened.

It is of course a different world now ( and even then Scoular can be considered lucky not many manager survived two successive 20th positions.

Oh and a lot of the football was dross as well.

I have a lot of sympathy with the view Craig Bellamy expressed that manager needed to be given time but I am afraid that is Utopia
    Maybe if Scoular has been sacked in the mid-60s we would have got a manager in that could get us promoted. Why is Scoular a legend but Dave Jones is a miserable sod with no plan B?

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Nathan Blake

Black Steel In The Hour Of Chaos
    Public Enemy or Sepultura..?

I'm not behind Harris, but I'm also not in favor of sacking him until we find a valid long-term replacement. Having said that, I still think that almost any manager we could hire would get better results than Harris for the remainder of the season. I honestly think I could have done better over the last 6 games. It is actually a mathematical certainty that in terms of points gained, I could not have done worse.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I'm not behind Harris, but I'm also not in favor of sacking him until we find a valid long-term replacement. Having said that, I still think that almost any manager we could hire would get better results than Harris for the remainder of the season. I honestly think I could have done better over the last 6 games. It is actually a mathematical certainty that in terms of points gained, I could not have done worse.
    Lol

Maybe if Scoular has been sacked in the mid-60s we would have got a manager in that could get us promoted. Why is Scoular a legend but Dave Jones is a miserable sod with no plan B?
    Yes Maybe. Or maybe we would have been relegated sooner and not had three years in the late 60's early 70's where we challenged for promotion. We may not have reached the European Cup Winners Cup final or had one of the greatest nights in our history when we beat Real Madrid. We shall never know.

When Scoular was a manager there was not the same spotlight on managers. They were not expected to be media savvy. Also of course as I said we had those great nights in Europe under him. That opportunity wasn't there for Dave Jones.

As we can see with all our managers in recent years the media spotlight and the internet expose their flaws Dave Jones didn't always come over as particularly media or fan friendly.

Scoular came across to fans as a tough no nonsense competitor and in his middle years at least the fans respected him greatly Thi is probably why he went on longer than he probably should have.

Quote Originally Posted by Llandaff Blue View Post
    It's 9 points. We're 9 points ahead of Rotherham who have two games in hand, sure they are guaranteed wins but they have only won 3 games fewer than us all season, we aren't in a position to ignore the threat of a relegation battle.

As for a new manager turning around this form, why is that out of your imagination? We've lost 6 games straight, you think no-one out there could do better? Laughable.
    Well suggest a name then

Quote Originally Posted by Splott-light... View Post
    Public Enemy or Sepultura..?
    public enemy

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Well suggest a name then
    Paul Cook, but would he be prepared to work for Vincent Tan?

Craig Bellamy

Because Dave Jones was a miserable sod with no plan B?

No idea about Scoular way before my time.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    What has Tan said or done within past 14 months that suggests he's a bad owner to work with?

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    What has Tan said or done within past 14 months that suggests he's a bad owner to work with?
    Actually we can extend that further. When was the last time Tan said/did anything to suggest he's a bad owner to work with? Are we saying he didn't put enough money for Warnock in the summer before the premier league or are we having to go back further than that?

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    That’s got nothing to do with it, Vincent Tan’s reputation within the game was established, rightly or wrongly, eight years ago at the time of his row with Malky Mackay. Maybe our owner is slightly more highly regarded these days, but the attitude about him interfering in selection and signings is still around - I believe there will always be some managers who might have been interested in coming here under different circumstances who would not apply under the current ownership.

That’s got nothing to do with it, Vincent Tan’s reputation within the game was established, rightly or wrongly, eight years ago at the time of his row with Malky Mackay. Maybe our owner is slightly more highly regarded these days, but the attitude about him interfering in selection and signings is still around - I believe there will always be some managers who might have been interested in coming here under different circumstances who would not apply under the current ownership.
    Think you’re wrong about past happenings Bob, people have short memories and if the package is right they will take the job on offer. I’m not referring to people like Guardiola or Mourinho.

I've always been a bit meh about Harris, but changing for changing sake is as likely to be harmful to u as it is positive.

We need a director of football first IMO

If I were a potential manger, I'd see Tan keeping very quiet in public and providing the most recent managers here with time and money that other clubs wouldn't have before I remembered what he did 8 years ago. Anyone judging over the 10 years(ish) he'd been here would still see his reputation as more negative than positive.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I've always been a bit meh about Harris, but changing for changing sake is as likely to be harmful to u as it is positive.

Do you think changing now is for changing sake or a reaction to a disastrous run of form.

I wonder who is signing these players as I don't think it's Harris.

Something must be slightly off with Paul Cook, he can't seem to even get an interview. I don't know what it is, though!

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post

Harris is in charge of the football on the field, that's not going well. This isn't changing for changing's sake. We've lost 7 out of 12. We've lost nearly half our games this season. It's dire, as well. I don't think there's one redeeming feature to our play and there's absolutely no signs of improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Harris is in charge of the football on the field, that's not going well. This isn't changing for changing's sake. We've lost 7 out of 12. We've lost nearly half our games this season. It's dire, as well. I don't think there's one redeeming feature to our play and there's absolutely no signs of improvement.
    And that's the rub. When we lose i try and look for positives, a few passages of play, some intelligence, thought on the ball etc. If there's nothing positive on that score then it's the bread and butter stuff like work rate, honesty, character. When there's little to get enthused about on the most basic aspects of playing the game, then it's time to declare an emergency. Make no doubt about it, we are in the shit, we aren't even witnessing individual performances, players are getting worse, the body language is wrong and there's a lack of desire from the players to turn things around.

When supporters say that Harris needs more time, then my answer is 'Time for what'? because there has to be some underlying positives (however small) for him to be afforded that time. There aren't any, it's going backwards and Harris himself doesn't seem to have the first idea on how to get this bunch playing in a way that will see us get results.

Something must be slightly off with Paul Cook, he can't seem to even get an interview. I don't know what it is, though!
    Hes a scouser.

I wouldnt like to be in the trenches with you!!!

Thank god youre not a player if we do end up in a relegation battle.

Youre not Italian are you?

I reckon the suits have taken it upon themselves to become involved in team selections again. The fact Harris was keen to point out they are club signings not his signings and Watters was thrown straight in to the starting XI (Ng understandable) says to me they are sticking their nose into team affairs. His continued use of Mark Harris is another questionable decision. Is he being pressured from above to use home grown players?

I could be well wide of the mark of course but Harris wears his heart on his sleeve, if he does get sacked and this is the case (interference from above) im sure it will come out in time.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    I reckon the suits have taken it upon themselves to become involved in team selections again. The fact Harris was keen to point out they are club signings not his signings and Watters was thrown straight in to the starting XI (Ng understandable) says to me they are sticking their nose into team affairs. His continued use of Mark Harris is another questionable decision. Is he being pressured from above to use home grown players?

I could be well wide of the mark of course but Harris wears his heart on his sleeve, if he does get sacked and this is the case (interference from above) im sure it will come out in time.

If there is interference in selecting the team, then they aren’t going to sack him. I really can’t believe that is or has been Tan or anyone apart from the Manager deciding who plays and who doesn’t.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    I wouldnt like to be in the trenches with you!!!

Thank god youre not a player if we do end up in a relegation battle.

Youre not Italian are you?
    I wish I was

What have we got to hold onto? The style of play is bloody awful, we're not winning games and we're not progressing. I can accept Harris as a safe pair of hands but now we're in real bother. We've played well for maybe 3 games (and won those 3). I really thought we turned a corner but we didn't.

Harris is not the only problem and I have no issue with a DoF, in fact I'd welcome it. That is not going to change what is happening on the pitch now. Harris is responsible for that and we're getting worse if anything. Harris is far from the only problem at the football club but he's the most immediate issue. Our form and performances have fallen off a cliff, and something has got to give.