+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Fascinating Article And Photos On Tiger Bay

  1. #1

    Fascinating Article And Photos On Tiger Bay

    BBC News - #towerlives: Rise of towers and fall of Tiger Bay
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-35997410

  2. #2

    Re: Fascinating Article And Photos On Tiger Bay

    I love these old photographs, thanks for the link.

  3. #3

    Re: Fascinating Article And Photos On Tiger Bay

    Loudoun Square would be a gem in our City nowadays. Grand, solid, expensively built houses, huge square - probably a couple of £million each nowadays. What we destroyed in this Country with the aid of architects and planners is beyond criminal. Every single City is blighted with the replacement high rise rabbit hutches that have bred unhappiness, discontent, loneliness, and squalor. Not to mention crime..

  4. #4

    Re: Fascinating Article And Photos On Tiger Bay

    Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    BBC News - #towerlives: Rise of towers and fall of Tiger Bay
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-35997410
    Great piece.

    We were only discussing recently the demolition of some historic buildings, the pubs, all round the City.
    Buildings should not be deliberately left to rot, torn down and in their place some soul-less cheap block of flats billed as "modern living".

    "As a child you think the whole world is like your immediate environment. It was only as I got older that I realised the rest of the world didn't live as we did, they didn't have respect and tolerance for one another"

    So true. Innocence preceding reality.
    The greed and the prejudices kick in.

  5. #5

    Re: Fascinating Article And Photos On Tiger Bay

    It's giving a sanitised and political spin really, but it does give me the excuse to point out that the main Chinese family down there were the Ng's.
    I know they pronounce the name of our new player as "EnGee" ( apparently there's a Singapore connection), but the Ng family and everyone down there used to say "Ung" with a very clipped U sound.

  6. #6

    Re: Fascinating Article And Photos On Tiger Bay

    Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Loudoun Square would be a gem in our City nowadays. Grand, solid, expensively built houses, huge square - probably a couple of £million each nowadays. What we destroyed in this Country with the aid of architects and planners is beyond criminal. Every single City is blighted with the replacement high rise rabbit hutches that have bred unhappiness, discontent, loneliness, and squalor. Not to mention crime..
    1964 those tower blocks were built

    They have been continually refurbished but I am surprised they are still there

    Channel View tower block in Grangetown is marked for demolition

  7. #7

    Re: Fascinating Article And Photos On Tiger Bay

    Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Great piece.

    We were only discussing recently the demolition of some historic buildings, the pubs, all round the City.
    Buildings should not be deliberately left to rot, torn down and in their place some soul-less cheap block of flats billed as "modern living".

    "As a child you think the whole world is like your immediate environment. It was only as I got older that I realised the rest of the world didn't live as we did, they didn't have respect and tolerance for one another"

    So true. Innocence preceding reality.
    The greed and the prejudices kick in.
    aye

  8. #8

    Re: Fascinating Article And Photos On Tiger Bay

    Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Loudoun Square would be a gem in our City nowadays. Grand, solid, expensively built houses, huge square - probably a couple of £million each nowadays. What we destroyed in this Country with the aid of architects and planners is beyond criminal. Every single City is blighted with the replacement high rise rabbit hutches that have bred unhappiness, discontent, loneliness, and squalor. Not to mention crime..
    You only have to look at the houses on Windsor Esplanade to see what potential was destroyed around other areas of the bay

  9. #9

    Re: Fascinating Article And Photos On Tiger Bay

    Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    You only have to look at the houses on Windsor Esplanade to see what potential was destroyed around other areas of the bay
    Those 4 storey houses along the esplanade went for a song mid-eighties before the bay development.

    Their value rocketed once the planners gave the all-clear for the housing, retail, entertainment and commercial development that we know today.

    How long before the next stage of redevelopment, 20 years? Sooner?

  10. #10

    Re: Fascinating Article And Photos On Tiger Bay

    Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    You only have to look at the houses on Windsor Esplanade to see what potential was destroyed around other areas of the bay
    The old black and white photos don't do the old buildings justice. Those houses on the Esplanade are stunning.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •