+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cardiff City and their "philosophy".

Cardiff City and their "philosophy".

Much talk on here and in various media outlets over the past few years about how City needed to get themselves an identity, a philosophy in the manner of those big clubs in the Premier League and many of our rivals in the Championship. However, those of us who indulged in such talk were taken as mugs because, if we really do appoint Mick McCarthy as our manager on a long contract then the club are only confirming what should have been clear to all of us for ages - Cardiff City already have a philosophy/identity, okay, it might be a profoundly embarrassing one, but it is one all the same.

Cardiff City are a club that plays stone age football, they are a club that seeks to play in a manner which sets technical ability as a, very, low priority, they are a club that are far happier to see the ball played in the air, they are a club which relies on brawn almost to the exclusion of the brain, they are a club that signs a player like Harry Wilson for reasons I cannot begin to fathom because they are clueless as to how to get the best out of him, they are a club that, despite some half hearted attempts to encourage youth, seem unable to fully trust players that have not yet reached their mid twenties and they are a club who are, apparently, happy to potter on with an amateurish set up that has no one with the sort of football knowledge that would take us out of our twentieth century approach to recruitment, football administration and youth development - I would say we're the modern day equivalent of late twentieth century Wimbledon, but we're nowhere near as good as they were, so we're Wimbledon wannabees, there's an identity for you!

Just to finish, I hope Jon1959 won't mind me borrowing something he said, because it coincides exactly with my feelings about the man who, it seems, is going to be our next manager;-

"I have always liked Mick McCarthy - very strong personality, grounded and funny. I just don’t want him as the manager of my football club."

Re: Cardiff City and their "philosophy".

There is no philosophy at the club. Sad to say but that is exactly how I see it.

It is like a long, drawn out version of a Laurel and Hardy sketch. Slapstick football club ownership.

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    There is no philosophy at the club. Sad to say but that is exactly how I see it.

It is like a long, drawn out version of a Laurel and Hardy sketch. Slapstick football club ownership.
    I disagree, apart from Paul Trollope, our last five appointments (if we do bring in Mick McCarthy) have all been consistent with the Cardiff City philosophy I outlined in the OP.

the promotion under Warnock could end up being the worst thing that has happened to the club, if the board think that that is a blueprint for success going forward

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I disagree, apart from Paul Trollope, our last five appointments (if we do bring in Mick McCarthy) have all been consistent with the Cardiff City philosophy I outlined in the OP.
    I'm not sure you can say that having a penchant for managers that play shit football is a philosophy really though.

I'm not sure you can say that having a penchant for managers that play shit football is a philosophy really though.
    The philosophy is that they have to play that shit football or they don't get appointed.

I would add that for there to be a philosophy at the club that would mean actually sitting down and thinking what are we looking to achieve long term.

I don't think our board has done that with any great degree, at least to the level it should have been done.

In short I think we have gone from one ill thought out appointment/decision to another.

As I have said many times I think our relative success with two promotions we have gone up despite the owner and board and not because of them.

The philosophy is that they have to play that shit football or they don't get appointed.
    I would say the philosophy is they've bought into the "knows the league" fallacy that has blighted British football for a generation

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I would say the philosophy is they've bought into the "knows the league" fallacy that has blighted British football for a generation
    It'll be interesting to see what they come out with when they meet the media, but, with the way things are these days, will we see Choo and/or Dalman involved in something like that?

Another thing I touched on in a post in a different thread was that Mick McCarthy is hardly a manager renowned for bringing on young players - you think back to his previous clubs, it's hard to think of anyone who came up through the ranks to become first team regulars apart from, maybe, at Ipswich where there wasn't the money to bring in many new players.

It'll be interesting to see what they come out with when they meet the media, but, with the way things are these days, will we see Choo and/or Dalman involved in something like that?

Another thing I touched on in a post in a different thread was that Mick McCarthy is hardly a manager renowned for bringing on young players - you think back to his previous clubs, it's hard to think of anyone who came up through the ranks to become first team regulars apart from, maybe, at Ipswich where there wasn't the money to bring in many new players.
    Didn't he blood a few at Wolves? Maybe my memory is playing tricks on me.

They've signed Watters and have Moore, so we need someone to play 442. If Watters comes off, and MM can continue Moore's upward trajectory (who he is a massive fan of), then I think this plays a part. I have no issue with 2 up top but you need someone to play it, and most modern managers want a front 3.

Whoever signed Watters and Ng, it wasn't Harris and I think that's had a major impact on this decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Didn't he blood a few at Wolves? Maybe my memory is playing tricks on me.
    Matt Doherty is one, well he gave him a few games!

Maybe we just had some old training gear of Malky's that we can finally get use of.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    Maybe we just had some old training gear of Malky's that we can finally get use of.
    See plagiarism is still strong on here

Posted this 30 minutes ago

They have done this to save money on the new mangers kit and coat, as he can use Malky Mackay's now.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    See plagiarism is still strong on here

Posted this 30 minutes ago

They have done this to save money on the new mangers kit and coat, as he can use Malky Mackay's now.
    Ah I changed the words though.

Haha was thinking someone may have already thought of it.

I've heard they only did it to make use of Malky Mackay's old coats and training gear.

I've heard they only did it to make use of Malky Mackay's old coats and training gear.
    Taking the piss now

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    Ah I changed the words though.

Haha was thinking someone may have already thought of it.
    Don't pinch his jokes, although he's usually pinched them from the seventies anyway.

Our board’s central philosophy seems to be focused on finding new and creative ways to piss off the supporters, and to that end they’re incredibly successful

We didn’t see to mind this philosophy when we invaded the pitch after the Reading match. Maybe it’s winning football we appreciate. I don’t want to see poor footballers who can’t pass but I do want to see the ball in the opposition’s net.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    We didn’t see to mind this philosophy when we invaded the pitch after the Reading match. Maybe it’s winning football we appreciate. I don’t want to see poor footballers who can’t pass but I do want to see the ball in the opposition’s net.
    Some of the football we played that season was pretty good, especially early on. We blew teams away with pace, power and skill, Warnock reverted to percentage football from around November/December onwards and doubled down on it when we got relegated

Mick McCarthy is no mug and he may well steady Cardiff, but what’s the plan? They’ve gone from Mackay to Solskjaer to Slade to Trollope to Warnock to Harris to this. Up, down, back, forth. There’s no direction. They’re never working towards anything, making it up as they go along - https://twitter.com/roathboy/status/1352593329637224456
    Harris was a progressive and logical step on from Warnock and the things he spoke about, presumably what got him hired, were the right things to aim for. It didn't work and now we need someone to take us to the end of the season so we can re-evaluate from there.

If the club backtrack on what Harris was talking about (improving playing style, focus on youth and better work in transfer market, longer term vision) then we're in trouble, but as far as I can see we don't know yet how long MM is going to be here for and we're rejecting him already.

Slade to Warnock* to Harris to Malky to Ole/Trollope makes sense to me, even if we end up stopping between Malky and Ole/Trollope. Warnock to Ole/Trollope doesn't and Warnock to MM (as he was for Ireland or more negative stuff at Ipswich) permanently doesn't either.

*Some performances, such as Aston Villa at home in promotion year, are much closer to the Malky Ole/Trollope end of the scale. Some of Malky's performances were a lot closer to Slade than his placing here.

Quote Originally Posted by 198bore View Post
    Our board’s central philosophy seems to be focused on finding new and creative ways to piss off the supporters, and to that end they’re incredibly successful
    Increasingly seems that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    You're right, I didn't bother going on the pitch mind, you're always going to enjoy a promotion aren't you, but, having seen us set a Premier League record as well, I think I'm at a stage now where I'd like to see us playing some enjoyable football as opposed to more of the same which would, doubtless, end up with us extending said Premier League record to three.

If it is true that Mick McCarthy is only coming here for six months then that makes things different (that's why I took care to mention a long contract in the OP), but I'd still think that the Board would take the easy way out and offer him a longer deal if the six months goes moderately well.

One other thing, I had a look at an Ipswich forum earlier and they were saying on there that McCarthy didn't really rate Keiffer Moore that much when he played for them.