+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Paul Cook offered the job first on a 6 month contract?

Re: Paul Cook offered the job first on a 6 month contract?

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Exactly.

Would make more sense to just go for it now with a Bellamy or whoever it is.

If Bellamy isn't going to be good enough to keep us up he won't be good enough to take us forward from the summer onwards.

Steady the ship then change it all in the summer. ****ing useless.
    Agree. I dont think they have any intention of going for Bellamy in the summer though.

I think this is lets give you 6 months if your no good we dont have to pay you off.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Yes. I won.
    😂😂😂

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Agree. I dont think they have any intention of going for Bellamy in the summer though.

I think this is lets give you 6 months if your no good we dont have to pay you off.
    Absolutely that's it.

Were on a merry-go-round of shit managers now and we'll swap when things go bad hope for the best rinse repeat.

How does it make sense?

They share completely different philosophys.
    McCarthyism is nothing new.

So was Mick. A company name. Towed the FAI line instead of fighting for his players.
    No player is bigger than the Club/Team

So was Mick. A company name. Towed the FAI line instead of fighting for his players.
    He was a manager employed by the FAI, not a union rep elected by the players.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Someone else suggested Mick with Bellamy as assistant and Bellamy taking over in the summer which to me makes far too much sense for us to go for it
    Lol!!! 😂😂😂

There is no chance whatsoever that we get relegated. I could be in charge for the rest of the season and we dont go down.
    You have experience of playing at Championship level though so it's not the same as a normal fan taking over.

Keep us up

Were not going down ffs. Could have employed a progressive manager now.
    This is an odd comment for a former professional footballer.

We have just lost 6 games out of 7 - that is relegation form that even someone in Malaysia could spot.

Bizarre 🤦*♂️

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    McCarthyism is nothing new.
    Very good 👍

I can’t understand the Paul Cook ‘love in’, with some supporters

The blokes CV shows he’s won two league two promotions, he’s hardly Pepe Guardiola!

No thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebird23 View Post
    I can’t understand the Paul Cook ‘love in’, with some supporters

The blokes CV shows he’s won two league two promotions, he’s hardly Pepe Guardiola!

No thanks.
    He's won a League 2 title and a League 1 title the following season. With two different teams. In the last five years. He's not the best manager out there, but he was the best manager available to Cardiff City today. And the club apparently spoke to him first.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    He's won a League 2 title and a League 1 title the following season. With two different teams. In the last five years. He's not the best manager out there, but he was the best manager available to Cardiff City today. And the club apparently spoke to him first.
    No, they apparently contacted Eddie Howe first, and he predictably declined.

And there is no way he’s the best manager available to us. I have no doubt one or more of Pulis, Hughes, Jokanovic or Pearson may have shown interest.

These are managers with proven CV’s for a club with Premier League aspirations, as opposed to some bloke who’s won lower league titles.

I’m hardly enthralled by McCarthy’s appointment, but his achievements are far greater than Cook’s.

And there is no way he’s the best manager available to us. I have no doubt one or more of Pulis, Hughes, Jokanovic or Pearson may have shown interest.

These are managers with proven CV’s for a club with Premier League aspirations, as opposed to some bloke who’s won lower league titles.

I’m hardly enthralled by McCarthy’s appointment, but his achievements are far greater than Cook’s.
    Mark Hughes has never won anything or got a team promoted as a manager. Pulis got one team prompted 25 years ago and another one 10 years ago. McCarthy 16 and 12 years ago. Jokanovic is not available.

I happen to think that what Mick McCarthy did at Ipswich where he won absolutely nothing was as impressive as anything he managed at Wolves and Sunderland. Judging managers solely by the number of trophies they've amassed is simplistic and somewhat ignorant I feel, because it disregards things like the promotion Cook gained with Chesterfield (who dropped like a stone after he left) from League Two, the League One Play Off he took them to the following season and it's also worth saying that he won the FAI Cup twice and the Irish League Cup with Sligo Rovers while also finishing high enough in the league once to qualify for the UEFA Cup - he also gained kudos from me for refusing to "have anything to do" with reporters from the Irish Sun while at Sligo because of the way the Sun covered Hillsborough.

Paul Cook has been a manager for 671 matches covering six clubs and has lost less than a third of them with a loss rate of 31 per cent, compared to his win rate of 43 per cent. He kept Wigan up last season despite their initial twelve point deduction as well , so I think all of that makes for an impressive CV and I would have been very happy to have had him here as manager - I can also fully understand why he might find the offer of a six month contract demeaning.

Mark Hughes has never won anything or got a team promoted as a manager. Pulis got one team prompted 25 years ago and another one 10 years ago. McCarthy 16 and 12 years ago. Jokanovic is not available.
    Mark Hughes managed Blackburn to 6th or 7th, and Stoke to three consecutive ninth place Premier league finishes.

Pulis has got a team promoted out of this division, and was the Premier League manager of the season in 2013-14.

These achievements, dwarf Paul Cook’s lower league promotions.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I happen to think that what Mick McCarthy did at Ipswich where he won absolutely nothing was as impressive as anything he managed at Wolves and Sunderland. Judging managers solely by the number of trophies they've amassed is simplistic and somewhat ignorant I feel, because it disregards things like the promotion Cook gained with Chesterfield (who dropped like a stone after he left) from League Two, the League One Play Off he took them to the following season and it's also worth saying that he won the FAI Cup twice and the Irish League Cup with Sligo Rovers while also finishing high enough in the league once to qualify for the UEFA Cup - he also gained kudos from me for refusing to "have anything to do" with reporters from the Irish Sun while at Sligo because of the way the Sun covered Hillsborough.

Paul Cook has been a manager for 671 matches covering six clubs and has lost less than a third of them with a loss rate of 31 per cent, compared to his win rate of 43 per cent. He kept Wigan up last season despite their initial twelve point deduction as well , so I think all of that makes for an impressive CV and I would have been very happy to have had him here as manager - I can also fully understand why he might find the offer of a six month contract demeaning.
    I must have missed something, I thought Wigan were relegated.

I hardly see clubs lining up to give Cook a managerial position at this level, or higher.

If the bloke has such a high opinion of himself, he should have been confident enough to have proved himself in six months, to win a longer contract.

We’re a big club at this level, and twice recently in the premier league, so this was potentially a step up the managerial ladder for him.

Maybe he’s just waiting for the Celtic or Newcastle jobs, eh!

What have pulis and Hughes done lately? Isn't jokanovic in the middle East earning huge dollar.. That leaves Pearson from that list.

Mark Hughes managed Blackburn to 6th or 7th, and Stoke to three consecutive ninth place Premier league finishes.

Pulis has got a team promoted out of this division, and was the Premier League manager of the season in 2013-14.

These achievements, dwarf Paul Cook’s lower league promotions.
    How is managing a team already established in the division to 6th or 7th place better than coming first?

I must have missed something, I thought Wigan were relegated.

I hardly see clubs lining up to give Cook a managerial position at this level, or higher.

If the bloke has such a high opinion of himself, he should have been confident enough to have proved himself in six months, to win a longer contract.

We’re a big club at this level, and twice recently in the premier league, so this was potentially a step up the managerial ladder for him.

Maybe he’s just waiting for the Celtic or Newcastle jobs, eh!
    Wigan finished thirteenth in the original table and were only relegated after a harsh twelve point deduction was implemented.

As I said, simplistic and somewhat ignorant.

Yes. He can be the voice of reason. John Lydon can **** off. He's a twat.
    He could take the press conferences though, that would be entertaining

Quote Originally Posted by fingers View Post
    He could take the press conferences though, that would be entertaining
    I used to like his interviews. He makes me cringe these days. I find Steve Jones quite entertaining. I used to listen to his radio show. And his book is a very good read.

What a stupid comment,Hughes has always managed in the Premier League where you can’t get promoted only relegated but he never been and saved Southampton in a must win game,relegating the Jacks instead! Pullis took Stoke to the Premier League and kept them their for 6 years, saved Palace from relegation when they were rooted to the bottom when he took over! Also took Middlesbrough to the playoffs! Both streets ahead of MM,Warnock and Cook and as Welshman would love to manage the Capital of Wales club, Pullis was actually a fan in his Youth!

Quote Originally Posted by Ianto13 View Post
    What a stupid comment,Hughes has always managed in the Premier League where you can’t get promoted only relegated but he never been and saved Southampton in a must win game,relegating the Jacks instead! Pullis took Stoke to the Premier League and kept them their for 6 years, saved Palace from relegation when they were rooted to the bottom when he took over! Also took Middlesbrough to the playoffs! Both streets ahead of MM,Warnock and Cook and as Welshman would love to manage the Capital of Wales club, Pullis was actually a fan in his Youth!
    Spot on, absolute common sense to anyone with half a brain even.

Some posters on here are absolutely clueless!

Quote Originally Posted by Ianto13 View Post
    thank god we don't have you in charge of managerial appointments, your only requirement would be if they are welsh