+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: My hope and expectation of McArthy is that he stops the rot and builds confidence.

My hope and expectation of McArthy is that he stops the rot and builds confidence.

McCarthy!

If we end up mid table or better and he gets the players to play individually as well as we believe they can then he will have done a good job. Fans will buy season tickets and there will be an optimism again that the manager next season can do better.

Let’s see if he can make Murphy a better player and get the others going again.

Good luck to him. I wish him well.

Re: My hope and expectation of McArthy is that he stops the rot and builds confidence.

Trouble is if he does 'a good job' - he'll get a contract. From a purely selfish point of view, I'm not getting any younger and don't really want to spend until 23/24 watching my team play shite football battling it out for top half.

Re: My hope and expectation of McArthy is that he stops the rot and builds confidence.

Quote Originally Posted by Freitag 4.17 View Post
    Trouble is if he does 'a good job' - he'll get a contract. From a purely selfish point of view, I'm not getting any younger and don't really want to spend until 23/24 watching my team play shite football battling it out for top half.
    He hasn't managed a team to the top half of the Championship in years.

Nothing about this appointment suggests we are going to be challenging for promotion soon.

Tweet from Danny Gabbidon (legend): I think most of us agree that a change was needed but if your not sure as to where you go next I have no problem with putting an experienced manager in place who can steer the ship to the end of the season while the club use that time to figure out the various issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Tweet from Danny Gabbidon (legend): I think most of us agree that a change was needed but if your not sure as to where you go next I have no problem with putting an experienced manager in place who can steer the ship to the end of the season while the club use that time to figure out the various issues.
    I have now calmed down and also read that the appointment is only until the end of the season.
    I really hope that the board draw up some kind of plan during that time and try to look at what they want over the next 2-3 years.
    They should then draft a list of potential candidates and start the discussions so we can have a permanent manager in place for the summer review and transfer market

Avoid defeat at the jacks and finish top half. That is all

You just know he'll do a bit more than 'keep us up' though (FFS as if that was ever a concern) and get a contract - things are going to be shit for a good couple of seasons.. this is a really bad decision no two ways about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    Yep, would do me.

Yup, I share your concern.

Hopefully it will be mutually beneficial.
    Those saying “we won’t go down” are just being naive.
    Recent form and performances show that it is a real possibility.

I was dumbstruck initially waking up reading about the appointment, but the six month contract makes me feel better that the foresight could possibly be there to steady the ship and then move on.

Bit of fire back in the team and hopefully an amicable departure on good terms with the job being done.

You just know he'll do a bit more than 'keep us up' though (FFS as if that was ever a concern) and get a contract - things are going to be shit for a good couple of seasons.. this is a really bad decision no two ways about it.
    It's just so uninspiring. Although. I will give the club this: we say we want a footballing strategy, and a style of play and to stick to it. Well, we do and we have, and in that sense the last three appoinents all fit the plan. Problem is it's a shit plan.

I'm torn here. I've never criticised a player or manager as he comes in and I agree with sludge: he's one of us now so let's get behind him or what's the point of any of this, we are fans not pundits. But ffs... Mick "BASTARD!!" McCarthy!? Yawn.

It's just so uninspiring. Although. I will give the club this: we say we want a footballing strategy, and a style of play and to stick to it. Well, we do and we have, and in that sense the last three appoinents all fit the plan. Problem is it's a shit plan.

I'm torn here. I've never criticised a player or manager as he comes in and I agree with sludge: he's one of us now so let's get behind him or what's the point of any of this, we are fans not pundits. But ffs... Mick "BASTARD!!" McCarthy!? Yawn.
    Where is the inspiring managerial choice going to come from at this moment in time, given that virtually all of them are currently at clubs, need paying off and would still not be keen on leaving for us mid season?

Your fear seems to be that he will be successful.

That is a bit odd.

Let's hit the ground running , roll up our sleeves and get on with it , it's a clean slate for all of you

Would be my team talk

Quote Originally Posted by rich munn View Post
    Your fear seems to be that he will be successful.

That is a bit odd.

The fear is that he will be successful in the short term. But not in the long term. Like Warnock. And like Harris. And that it will eventually end like it did with Warnock. And like it did with Harris. That is, with the club in roughly the same league position as when they began, but in a far worse position financially. You knew that though. Right?

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    The fear is that he will be successful in the short term. But not in the long term. Like Warnock. And like Harris. And that it will eventually end like it did with Warnock. And like it did with Harris. That is, with the club in roughly the same league position as when they began, but in a far worse position financially. You knew that though. Right?
    The reality is that we need somebody to manage now. Possibly giving them the chance to get in other players before the end of the month.
    HARRIS should have gone in December thus allowing more time.
    We could have given the job to somebody else but who and would it have been the right decision.
    Hopefully an appointment will be made by April.

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post
    Hopefully it will be mutually beneficial.
    Those saying “we won’t go down” are just being naive.
    Recent form and performances show that it is a real possibility.

I was dumbstruck initially waking up reading about the appointment, but the six month contract makes me feel better that the foresight could possibly be there to steady the ship and then move on.

Bit of fire back in the team and hopefully an amicable departure on good terms with the job being done.
    Agree with all of this.

(Amazingly there are people on here still saying ‘we won’t go down’ although they are exactly the same people who ACTUALLY wanted Harris to stay.)

I wasn't happy with the appointment. It wasn't ageist it was stylist! However, a number of fans from his former clubs rate him and aren't critical of his playing styles which must be a positive.

Me too. The issue is that managers get sacked when things are not going well, which is exactly the wrong time to try and change everything otherwise we may go down. The time to change is when things are going well. So the short term appointment is a very good idea.

I'm tired of being negative now.

2020 was one of the worst and this year hasn't started any better.

He wouldn't have been my choice but then what do I know.

Mick seems a good guy, honest, experienced (particularly this division) and I think he will do well results wise, certainly compared to this season so far. I wish him well.

We can re-assess everything in the summer, this one has seemed a write off for many reasons for a while now.

Hopefully the minimum he and his team can bring is something more enjoyable to watch, a few goals and comfortable mid table. He will have done his job then whatever happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    I'm tired of being negative now.

2020 was one of the worst and this year hasn't started any better.

He wouldn't have been my choice but then what do I know.

Mick seems a good guy, honest, experienced (particularly this division) and I think he will do well results wise, certainly compared to this season so far. I wish him well.

We can re-assess everything in the summer, this one has seemed a write off for many reasons for a while now.

Hopefully the minimum he and his team can bring is something more enjoyable to watch, a few goals and comfortable mid table. He will have done his job then whatever happens.
    have it

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Yep, would do me.

Plus beat those tossers across the bridge

Yeah. I'd go along with that.

I'm not expecting miracles. Just some consistency, confidence and hopefully some more exciting football.

That would set up next season pretty well whoever comes in.

I'd be happy if we played a bit of football, took 4 points from the derbies and avoided relegation.