+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: MAYBE THE CLUB HAS MADE A SENSIBLE APPOINTMENT?

MAYBE THE CLUB HAS MADE A SENSIBLE APPOINTMENT?

Maybe they do have plans in place for the summer
    Perhaps Bellamy has told them he won't leave his post half way through the season and Mccarthy is happy with a few months work with a chance of getting his name back out there if he does a decent job.
    I didn't want Mccarthy but his record although not recent is pretty good.

Re: MAYBE THE CLUB HAS MADE A SENSIBLE APPOINTMENT?

Quote Originally Posted by stan butler View Post
    Perhaps Bellamy has told them he won't leave his post half way through the season and Mccarthy is happy with a few months work with a chance of getting his name back out there if he does a decent job.
    It couldn't be worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    It couldn't be worse.
    I’d rather Donald Trump ��

Quote Originally Posted by Taffy Blue in Berkshire View Post
    I’d rather Donald Trump ��
    We've just got rid of him in terms of post match interviews - "we were brilliant today", lost 2-0, "outstanding effort", lost 3-1 etc....

No.

McCarthy does a half decent job hes here permanently.

If they don't get someone better than Paul Cook in the summer, they have dropped a HUGE bollock today. It wouldn't be the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    If they don't get someone better than Paul Cook in the summer, they have dropped a HUGE bollock today. It wouldn't be the first time.
    I agree but let's see what happens in the summer. Maybe they will have a plan and get it right for a change

There are no guarantees than any manager will bring success to the club, no matter how lauded they are.

Not many people rated Malky when he was appointed but he took us to a major cup final and got us promoted.

Many thought that we would be relegated with Slade in charge but we just missed out on the play-offs.

When Warnock was made manager, we hoped he would save us from relegation, which he did. But only the wildest optimist thought we would gain automatic promotion the following season.

I have been as underwhelmed as any with MM's appointment and I'm glad it's only for the remainder of the season. However, I've got no idea how it will pan out but who knows we may be pleasantly surprised again.

We need to give the man a chance.
    So many times on here people jump to conclusions then feel the need
    to maintain the same line for fear of losing face. Let's face it, this season is done for us.
    If he brings in a couple of decent players his job is done, anything more
    is a bonus.

It’s a thoroughly underwhelming appointment, but then this is Cardiff City - purveyors of doing things the dumb way!

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Do you think enough is known about Cook to give him the job on a long contract so shortly after Harris left? Maybe Cook is better than whoever we get here permanently, but being able to speak more than once to a prospective manager before offering them the job is the right process.

https://www.molineuxmix.co.uk/forum/...carthy.414034/

Of course lots of fans have had their say based on McCarthy's reputation but I thought this was interesting, majority of fans speaking highly about him and that he was responsible for some of the best football they've seen at the club.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain_Sensible View Post
    https://www.molineuxmix.co.uk/forum/...carthy.414034/

Of course lots of fans have had their say based on McCarthy's reputation but I thought this was interesting, majority of fans speaking highly about him and that he was responsible for some of the best football they've seen at the club.
    That was ages ago (his last season with them was Malky's first season with us) and he's not had much success since.

I agree but let's see what happens in the summer. Maybe they will have a plan and get it right for a change
    He can work with a shit budget. I fear he's under a probation period of 6 months and if it all goes well he will stay.

Let's look at our actual record of appointing managers. There is nothing there to suggest a change of direction in the summer to a more forward thinking manager etc, we just swap them when one starts under performing and hope for the best.

That's it. Literally nothing else to it.

I think its a good solid appointment
    Experienced, respected and comes with a wealth of knowledge.
    He's here on a short term contract to steady the ship and build some much needed confidence in the squad.
    If he is successful and I really hope he is then he may get the extension to the contract that he obviously wants, although I doubt it would be anymore than a rolling 1 year contract?
    Who knows what the long term plan is? Maybe MM is going to be that DOF that the club desperately needs in time, maybe he'll bring another coach in with him (Bellamy Bamba type) to work with and allow him to develop into the role, who knows?
    One thing I do know is that it's a fact that he was successful at this level with two big clubs, it's also a fact that he was a successful international manager
    My guess is and it's just a guess is that MM doesn't need the money, he's a strong character who isn't afraid to speak his mind and tell it like it is
    On SSN this morning I saw Matt Jarvis say he was the best manager he ever worked for, that he had a gravitas and presence in the dressing room .

Short term or long term, I think he could be the right man in the right place
    I doubt we'll be back in the stadium this season unfortunately, but if he is there at the beginning of next season it will because he's earned the right to be there

I like Mick McCarthy - always enjoyed his brutal honesty and dry humour.

I didn't want him as our new manager with a 3 year contract and the confidence of the board that Mick was the way forward. But as a short term appointment to raise morale, instil discipline and organisation, and keep the club safe this season - Mick is OK with me.

The fact (or at least the confident media assertion) that the club spoke to Paul Cook, Eddie Howe and Craig Bellamy (and others?) before appointing Mick gives me some confidence that they really are trying to develop a long-term plan. They may just be thrashing about in confusion - but I hope not.

What would really help is a statement or press conference from Dalman that spells out the owner and the board's vision - the manager after this summer, the academy, recruitment, style of play and club identity, place in the community, ambitions, the role of the board and how it will be strengthened (Director of Football appointment?) etc. Covid makes a lot of this more difficult, but it is long past the time when the club should have spoken directly to the fans. I also want to know the score on the Sala Trust Fund.

Your going to be disappointed on long term vision.

Im sure Mick would have been told the jobs his if hes a success.

I think the likelihood is 6 months as they havent a feckin clue what they will do in the summer with no parachute payments.

I reckon Mick gets us to 10th -12th and a 2 year deal will be signed. He will be seen as a steady hand for a couple of years.

If it goes pear shaped over the next few months at least theres no compensation to pay out.

Quote Originally Posted by olderblue View Post
    Who knows what the long term plan is? Maybe MM is going to be that DOF that the club desperately needs in time, maybe he'll bring another coach in with him (Bellamy Bamba type) to work with and allow him to develop into the role, who knows?
    James Rowberry is 36 this year, has been at the club since 2013 and has not left with Harris. Maybe the longer term plan is already at the club?

"Lennie Lawrence said to me when he left, 'Rowbs, what will happen now is that you have had a pure coaching school for two years under Russell and Paul, now, you are going to have a pure management schooling'.

"And that is exactly what happened.

"That sums up, in a nutshell, what it was. A pure coaching school and a pure management school.

"For an experience, for me, six seasons, when you look back at it, it's been unbelievable."

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...citys-17788231