+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Unilateral Tan

Re: Unilateral Tan

Of course people are presuming that this'll go wrong and he'll need to appoint another manager.
    I don't think it will.

Quote Originally Posted by uncle bob View Post
    Do we need a relegation from this division to start the new beginning and wipe everything we and the players know.
    Start fresh from the top, and rebuild the team and its direction.
    Its ingrained to lump it forward in everyone of these players.
    Morrison is a good defender but the times I scream at him everytime he and the rest of our players just hoof the ball to nobody from one end of the pitch to the other, really gets on my tits.
    Relegation didn't seem to have helped Sunderland.

Remember, things can ALWAYS get worse.

The OPs heart is in the right place though, not going to knock that. A dose of non-league football or the bottom half of League 2 will make anyone appreciate what we have at CCFC.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Just posted and then saw your post. Was thinking exactly the same thing!
    Last edited by Citizen's Nephew; 23-01-21 at 17:43. Reason: spelling

Relegation for a club like Leeds, Sunderland etc to division one is a kick in the pants but clubs like that get back up

We could get cast adrift again if we went down

It has to be avoided at all costs

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Relegation for a club like Leeds, Sunderland etc to division one is a kick in the pants but clubs like that get back up

We could get cast adrift again if we went down

It has to be avoided at all costs
    So this!

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    I think the chances of City making the play-offs this season are extremely slim, but the chances of them finishing anywhere between 7th and 10th are reasonable. I believe if McCarthy can steer the side into one of those positions by the end of the season, he'll definitely be given a new contract.
    I hope it's not that simple and thorough questions are asked about what plans he has for the future if given the job longer term. Di Matteo won Chelsea the Champions League by putting smiles back on faces but he was completely out of his depth the next season, Adkins was a fine manager for Southampton but Pochettino offered a better future so a ruthless decision was made.

Relegation makes the job of developing this club one hundred times harder not easier.

Do we need a relegation from this division to start the new beginning and wipe everything we and the players know.
    Morrison is a good defender but the times I scream at him everytime he and the rest of our players just hoof the ball to nobody from one end of the pitch to the other, really gets on my tits.
    No, why can't we rebuild in the championship? League 1 would be a disaster for this club

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    I hope it's not that simple and thorough questions are asked about what plans he has for the future if given the job longer term. Di Matteo won Chelsea the Champions League by putting smiles back on faces but he was completely out of his depth the next season, Adkins was a fine manager for Southampton but Pochettino offered a better future so a ruthless decision was made.

Relegation makes the job of developing this club one hundred times harder not easier.
    I agree. Let's not forget we've only recently experienced relegation from the PL and all the talk about bouncing back up was delusional. OK, we were almost lucky last season but just look where we are now. I'm all for ruthlessness when it comes to Managers. Warnock being a prime example i.e. keeping him on after our promotion. It was always going to end in tears. We got into the top division and blew it (twice). Talk about making life difficult for ourselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post

OR, Ipswich, Blackpool, Bolton and Oldham, remember them having a stint in the prem !

Vincent Tan keeps, or rather kept the club afloat, and for that I am grateful, but let’s not ignore the fact that an absolute shitload of money has been wasted and continues to be wasted under his stewardship because he is not taking the right advice.

I’m not saying he should consult fans on managerial appointments or player transfers but he sure as hell needs a sporting director or structure in place so that he starts getting better value for the millions he’s putting in.

Tan, Choo and Dalman know **** all about football and they are still being led by agents or chancers like Warnock. They are not new to the game anymore, surely by now they can see for the long term success of this club the current structure does not work.

He can’t let go of the Acorn signing nearly 8 years ago but we’ve wasted that ten fold since Malky left and Tan and the three amigos took charge of transfers.

Club is a basket case.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Vincent Tan keeps, or rather kept the club afloat, and for that I am grateful, but let’s not ignore the fact that an absolute shitload of money has been wasted and continues to be wasted under his stewardship because he is not taking the right advice.

I’m not saying he should consult fans on managerial appointments or player transfers but he sure as hell needs a sporting director or structure in place so that he starts getting better value for the millions he’s putting in.

Tan, Choo and Dalman know **** all about football and they are still being led by agents or chancers like Warnock. They are not new to the game anymore, surely by now they can see for the long term success of this club the current structure does not work.

He can’t let go of the Acorn signing nearly 8 years ago but we’ve wasted that ten fold since Malky left and Tan and the three amigos took charge of transfers.

Club is a basket case.
    100%

Club is a basket case.
    Tan's now been in football for ten'ish years across three clubs and in two continents. He should know more than feck all about the sport, but if he still doesn't he's surrounded himself with the wrong people.

Who knows what Dalman and Choo do behind the scenes? There has been such little communication from the board over past number of years that managers are left to fill the gaps but, when they have spoken in the past, Choo comes across well and Dalman comes across as a bit slimy.

We need more structure at the club, as you have said.

Club is a basket case.
    Yup, 100% from me too. Excellent summary. To get into the PL twice within 5 years only to be relegated on each occasion is a footballing and financial travesty. It took 52 (?) odd years to get back into the top tier. I really don't understand the club management structure at all.

It probably would have cost upwards of £200m for the club to last longer than one season in the Premier League. Those that don't spend normally get relegated. We have wasted a lot of money undoubtedly but that was a relatively small sum compared with the amount we would have needed to spend to retain Premier League status. Do people honestly believe that consulting fans over a new manager would make a blind bit of difference, and we simply don't have the funds to spend £100s of millions required to retain Premier League status.

So much disrespect for Tan who has done one thing wrong in his entire tenure.

Ask Sunderland if a relegation sorted everything out.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Not strictly true, is it? Tan owns the club, the fans are just a customers, as he was keen to point out on numerous occasions during the rebrand era.
    Until football is self sufficient with normalised wages this is what it is.

Unless you fancy paying wages out of your savings?

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    Yup, 100% from me too. Excellent summary. To get into the PL twice within 5 years only to be relegated on each occasion is a footballing and financial travesty. It took 52 (?) odd years to get back into the top tier. I really don't understand the club management structure at all.
    I don’t suppose it’s that much different to many other clubs?

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    It probably would have cost upwards of £200m for the club to last longer than one season in the Premier League. Those that don't spend normally get relegated. We have wasted a lot of money undoubtedly but that was a relatively small sum compared with the amount we would have needed to spend to retain Premier League status. Do people honestly believe that consulting fans over a new manager would make a blind bit of difference, and we simply don't have the funds to spend £100s of millions required to retain Premier League status.
    We got promoted in 2013 with Crystal Palace. We spent far more than them in that first season to stay in the Prem. They stayed there and kicked on and are now established. Leicester the following year didn’t need to spend 200m to stay in the league initially. Its not how much you spend it’s how you spend the money you do have to spend.

Look at Burnley. Have they spent 200m in total since they’ve been in the PL?

Club is a basket case.
    Totally agree and we're going nowhere fast under the stewardship of this fella and his incompetent lieutenants. I don't buy this notion that because he owns the club he can do what he likes. That might be true legally but certainly not ethically; a football club is so much more than a regular commercial enterprise and it has a special role in maintaining local identity and pride.

Yes we might be keeping ourselves afloat under his administration but there's never any hope of development because the club infrastructure and personnel mitigate against it.

Surely every supporter wants better for their club so just marking time is never an option. In any case no one knows if there is any positive long term plan for the club or, more likely, is Tan just protecting his investment until he gets his opportunity to offload the club.

And before anyone says these mega wealthy owners don't grow on trees I'm aware of that so in the short term I accept we're stuck with Tan. However, that doesn't stop me yearning for new owners to come along sooner rather than later otherwise we shall forever be stuck as also rans.

We got promoted in 2013 with Crystal Palace. We spent far more than them in that first season to stay in the Prem. They stayed there and kicked on and are now established. Leicester the following year didn’t need to spend 200m to stay in the league initially. Its not how much you spend it’s how you spend the money you do have to spend.

Look at Burnley. Have they spent 200m in total since they’ve been in the PL?
    So you don't think staying in the Premier League has anything to do with money but more about the way clubs spend the money they have? I just happen to disagree with you. For every example you cite there are others who have not spent such as WBA, Norwich and Hull and then got relegated. Normally the more money clubs have the better they perform. If you don't believe the Premier League is about money you are of course entitled to your opinion as I am mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    So you don't think staying in the Premier League has anything to do with money but more about the way clubs spend the money they have? I just happen to disagree with you. For every example you cite there are others who have not spent such as WBA, Norwich and Hull and then got relegated. Normally the more money clubs have the better they perform. If you don't believe the Premier League is about money you are of course entitled to your opinion as I am mine.
    The thing is it's about more than just money. It's about having the right ambition, the right infrastructure, the right manager AND spending the right amount of money wisely.

In my opinion the club has never had any of the first three requirements and on both occasions we were promoted it didn't invest sufficient money to build on its status. However having the wrong ambition, infrastructure and manager in the first place always meant that no matter how much money was spent the project was likely always doomed to fail.

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post
    I think you should probably be directing a lot of your praise in the direction of Ridsdale too.

You can be a despot and have success now and then.

This idea of success though is the same as Warnock claiming his way of playing was a "winning" way in response to Harris' "offensive remarks" (what a diva he is BTW). It's a fallacy. We are in the same position now that we were when Warnock joined. Same goes for Tan. On the pitch we are in the same position now as we were when he bought the club.

To put it simply, we have gone forwards, but we have also gone backwards just as much. We've had success, but we have had just as much failure.

With regards, he is keeping th club afloat. Still remains to be seen what the situation is when he eventually leaves. As I understand it we till have some pretty bug debts right ? Fact remains, he has done good things on this front. However, does this give him the right to be so oblique and aloof when it come to decision making for the clubs future on the field ? Is it even in his own interest !? Does he even have the right to be that way ?
    The answer to your last question for Tan and 99% of owner is yes How many owners can you name who consulted their fans on the clubs future?

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    The thing is it's about more than just money. It's about having the right ambition, the right infrastructure, the right manager AND spending the right amount of money wisely.

In my opinion the club has never had any of the first three requirements and on both occasions we were promoted it didn't invest sufficient money to build on its status. However having the wrong ambition, infrastructure and manager in the first place always meant that no matter how much money was spent the project was likely always doomed to fail.
    The club has the right infrastructure but not the money to sustain its status as a Premier League club. I believe the club has ambition but without the money to support it. You can have as much ambition as you like but without money clubs will always find it difficult to compete at the highest level.

And what exactly is the right amount of money to quote you? And where is this money to come from? It's normal for fans to complain about their football club but really it's laughable for fans to suggest that money should be forthcoming when we don't put our wealth at stake or make financial decisions as directors that could make us personally liable for club debts.