+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Unilateral Tan

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Unilateral Tan

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    He's a bit damned if you do, damned if you don't. If he'd given him a 4 year deal then I'd understand the hysteria but McCarthy's only here until the end of the season, hopefully the plan is to use that time to find the right manager to take us forward long term
    I don't really understand why anyone is saying this with such confidence. A couple of the reports I read yesterday suggested McCarthy has been appointed until the end of the season with the option of an extension. If McCarthy can get the team moving and finish within a reasonable distance of the play-offs, I reckon he's 100% guaranteed to be given a new, improved contract. I don't think he'd have come here if that wasn't a probability.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    I don't really understand why anyone is saying this with such confidence. A couple of the reports I read yesterday suggested McCarthy has been appointed until the end of the season with the option of an extension. If McCarthy can get the team moving and finish within a reasonable distance of the play-offs, I reckon he's 100% guaranteed to be given a new, improved contract. I don't think he'd have come here if that wasn't a probability.
    I'm only going by what I saw on the BBC Sport announcement, I do agree with you about if he does ok he there's a good chance he'll stay though

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    I'm only going by what I saw on the BBC Sport announcement, I do agree with you about if he does ok he there's a good chance he'll stay though
    I think the chances of City making the play-offs this season are extremely slim, but the chances of them finishing anywhere between 7th and 10th are reasonable. I believe if McCarthy can steer the side into one of those positions by the end of the season, he'll definitely be given a new contract.

I think the chances of City making the play-offs this season are extremely slim, but the chances of them finishing anywhere between 7th and 10th are reasonable. I believe if McCarthy can steer the side into one of those positions by the end of the season, he'll definitely be given a new contract.
    The ol' "Ole after PSG away" shuffle

Having said that I try hard not to stray into politics on this board.

I hope it's not that simple and thorough questions are asked about what plans he has for the future if given the job longer term. Di Matteo won Chelsea the Champions League by putting smiles back on faces but he was completely out of his depth the next season, Adkins was a fine manager for Southampton but Pochettino offered a better future so a ruthless decision was made.

Relegation makes the job of developing this club one hundred times harder not easier.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    I hope it's not that simple and thorough questions are asked about what plans he has for the future if given the job longer term. Di Matteo won Chelsea the Champions League by putting smiles back on faces but he was completely out of his depth the next season, Adkins was a fine manager for Southampton but Pochettino offered a better future so a ruthless decision was made.

Relegation makes the job of developing this club one hundred times harder not easier.
    I agree. Let's not forget we've only recently experienced relegation from the PL and all the talk about bouncing back up was delusional. OK, we were almost lucky last season but just look where we are now. I'm all for ruthlessness when it comes to Managers. Warnock being a prime example i.e. keeping him on after our promotion. It was always going to end in tears. We got into the top division and blew it (twice). Talk about making life difficult for ourselves.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    I hope it's not that simple and thorough questions are asked about what plans he has for the future if given the job longer term.
    Is there anything at all that has happened in City's recent past that leads you to believe this will be the case? And does the constitution of the current board suggest to you that somebody with Mick McCarthy's experience couldn't quickly and easily come up with answers that would satisfy Messers Tan, Dalman, Borley and Choo?