+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Recent changes

Recent changes

The recent change of manager was something that had been coming for a while. But it was something that the club was actively planning for, and was part of a chain of events started a few weeks ago. Okay, this might have occurred to a lot of people, but I've not seen it mentioned on here.

Here's the chain of events. Three weeks ago - McCarthy quits his job. Monday/Tuesday - the club is signing new players. Wednesday - we lose to QPR. Thursday - Harris is sacked. Friday - McCarthy is appointed.

It's pretty clear to me, that the club had been in touch with McCarthy BEFORE Harris was sacked. The speed in which McCarthy was put in place means that there was no search for a new guy - no adverts, applications or interviews - it was already done and dusted. McCarthy had been approached weeks ago, and had quit his job, because he knew the call was coming. That also means Harris was doomed, whether we beat QPR or not.

But that also suggests that McCarthy must have been involved in the recent player purchases. It's hard to believe otherwise. When Harris said that the transfers were 'club buys' just points to the fact that someone else was involved. Has McCarthy been in post longer than we think?

Re: Recent changes

No I don't think so, unless Harris was also aware. I don't think many managers would be lining up positions already occupied by someone else.

Sure McCarthy was removed from his position in Cyprus as opposed to quitting. Don't think many would happily swap the sunshine at this time of year for the UK weather.

I don't know enough about the internal workings of our transfers but don't think they have been down to just the manager for a while.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Paul Cook says he was offered the job on a 6 month contract but turned it down

There was a report I saw that said the club had received a number of applications.

Mick McCarthy was sacked by APOEL.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    There was a report I saw that said the club had received a number of applications.
    What did they do with Sludge's ??

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    I just don't see that, unless the applicants knew Harris was going. He was sacked Thursday afternoon, and by Friday morning, we had McCarthy in place. So, by your reckoning, the club sacked Harris, put up an advert, interviewed all the applicants, and narrowed it down to MM, all in about fifteen hours? No way - the club MUST have been in touch with McCarthy before sacking Harris. Which would point to him being involved in the player signings.

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    I just don't see that, unless the applicants knew Harris was going. He was sacked Thursday afternoon, and by Friday morning, we had McCarthy in place. So, by your reckoning, the club sacked Harris, put up an advert, interviewed all the applicants, and narrowed it down to MM, all in about fifteen hours? No way - the club MUST have been in touch with McCarthy before sacking Harris. Which would point to him being involved in the player signings.
    McCarthy, in the interview I linked to earlier, almost gave it away that he knew what was happening

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    McCarthy, in the interview I linked to earlier, almost gave it away that he knew what was happening

I noticed that , he then changed tack and said he seen us play at Forest, which he was covering for Sky.

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    They wouldn't need to advertise to get applications.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    What did they do with Sludge's ??
    Saving it for the end of the season in case things don't work out with McCarthy.