+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: D.O.F.

D.O.F.

Mick McCarthy?

Re: D.O.F.

I'd prefer someone younger in more of an analyst type position. Like a GM that they have in this country.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    Mick McCarthy?
    DoF need to be more than just an experienced, aged manager. What characteristics do you think he has that would make him a good DoF?

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    DoF need to be more than just an experienced, aged manager. What characteristics do you think he has that would make him a good DoF?
    Don't know if he'd be any good, but has experience, contacts and probably a level head to guide a young Manager.

The last time we had a Director of Football he was slagged off relentlessly as a huge waste of money.

Looks as if we could do with another scapegoat then now Harris has gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    The last time we had a Director of Football he was slagged off relentlessly as a huge waste of money.
    Was that Slade for 28 days?

As far as I can see a DoF looks after the future of the club while a manager looks after the day to day. It's a role that one person should, if it goes to plan, hold for at least 5 years with option of renewal at the end of that.

Leicester have got it right top to bottom.
    We should be knocking on their door asking how its done.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    Don't know if he'd be any good, but has experience, contacts and probably a level head to guide a young Manager.
    A DOF isn't supposed to guide a manager, they are usually heading recruitment and ensuring that the academy is functioning. The best DOFs have barely any managerial or playing experience.

Was that Slade for 28 days?
    It was Kenny Hibbitt.

Quote Originally Posted by Llandaff Blue View Post
    A DOF isn't supposed to guide a manager, they are usually heading recruitment and ensuring that the academy is functioning. The best DOFs have barely any managerial or playing experience.
    To play devil's advocate, I'm not sure we need to be so locked into what a DoF does at other clubs. Where do we need help? Under Warnock that was clearly in transfer market but not so under Harris. We can play with the DoF role to suit what we need while still under basic premise of looking after future of the club.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    I slagged off Margaret Thatcher for 11 years. It didn't mean I thought that idea of having a PM was a bad idea.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I slagged off Margaret Thatcher for 11 years. It didn't mean I thought that idea of having a PM was a bad idea.
    She was a shit DOF no vision

has there ever been an example of an old school manager making.a good director of football?

many of the good ones have never even managed

To play devil's advocate, I'm not sure we need to be so locked into what a DoF does at other clubs. Where do we need help? Under Warnock that was clearly in transfer market but not so under Harris. We can play with the DoF role to suit what we need while still under basic premise of looking after future of the club.
    Yeah I fully agree. If we went down the route of an unexperienced manager in the summer then I'd hope he has an experienced number 2 to help rather than having the former manager overlooking everything he does.

I still think recruitment is an issue, while Harris made some decent signings we still lack options in midfield and consistent wingers (I also can't believe we went half a season with Bacuna as our 2nd choice right back). Ideally a DoF would handle that side of things so we have a consistent approach every transfer window

He'd be great but not if Terry Connor was made team manager.

Truthfully, if you were a manager/coach, would you want someone buying players for you and undermining your position.

Spurs had one and he bought some right shite players, that they were stuck with.

The position is open to abuse (white envelope, in the back pocket job)

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Truthfully, if you were a manager/coach, would you want someone buying players for you and undermining your position.

Spurs had one and he bought some right shite players, that they were stuck with.

The position is open to abuse (white envelope, in the back pocket job)
    Valentines card?