Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Managers a bit older than normal

Managers a bit older than normal

Ferguson

Paisley

Shankley

Clough

They didn't do too badly did they ?

If you are good enough then whats this worry about age ?

People seem obsessed with appointing young managers with all the coaching badges , computer generated plans , nutrition analysts

Football is a simple game

Put the ball in the net , stop the other lot doing the same

Thats my philosophy

Re: Managers a bit older than normal

Bill Shankly retired when he was 60. Clough retired at 58. All of them got to their final club before they were 50. The oldest to take a manager's job was Bob Paisley at 55. He'd been at Liverpool since he was 40.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Bill Shankly retired when he was 60. Clough retired at 58. All of them got to their final club before they were 50. The oldest to take a manager's job was Bob Paisley at 55. He'd been at Liverpool since he was 40.
    May as well lock the thread 😂

We are not talking Eddie Howe or Paul Teasdale from Exeter who some city fans were screaming for

Well MM is 61 so he's not about to get a birthday card from the Queen but a lot of city fans think MM is a football dinosaur

Maybe we should get someone who has just left school

17 or 18

With his apple watch

Actually Bob Paisley had been at Liverpool since he was 20. He spent well over 40 years at one club. I'm not even going to bother to count the clubs McCarthy's been at, but he was at his last job for two months.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    We are not talking Eddie Howe or Paul Teasdale from Exeter who some city fans were screaming for

Well MM is 61 so he's not about to get a birthday card from the Queen but a lot of city fans think MM is a football dinosaur

Maybe we should get someone who has just left school

17 or 18

With his apple watch
    Eddie Howe is the same age as Neil Harris. The same age McCarthy was when he was winning promotions. Malky Makay is still only 48.

Actually Bob Paisley had been at Liverpool since he was 20. He spent well over 40 years at one club. I'm not even going to bother to count the clubs McCarthy's been at, but he was at his last job for two months.
    Well it seems to me that people are unhappy , in certain quarters for his style and I think at the moment we need results , not fecking poncey formations . Leaving that aside its been mentioned he's a dinosaur.

Is 61 too old to work ?

If football in the modern age is a young man's game for managers with forward looking ideas why isn't every manager in the top two divisions about 35 ?

Eddie Howe is the same age as Neil Harris. The same age McCarthy was when he was winning promotions. Malky Makay is still only 48.
    So why is Eddie Howe out of a job and why isn't Craig Bellamy, recently retired and apparently a visionary managing abroad?

So why is Eddie Howe out of a job and why isn't Craig Bellamy, recently retired and apparently a visionary managing abroad?
    What is your point?

Apparently, Eddie Howe is waiting to waltz into a job with a top PL team with a rich history. Bellamy is obviously learning his trade. 61 is not too old for a job and if we had a dozen fewer points I'd say that McCarthy is the right man. In my opinion, Harris had lost his way and had to go, but I don't think replacing him the same week was particularly important. I have nothing against Mick McCarthy, I just want a period of relative stability and growth at the City. I'd like someone to come in and set the club up for long term success from the kids' teams up to the top. I can't see a 61 year-old having the energy or the inclination to do that. You and I both know that with age comes indifference. I'd like to see someone younger with a passion for their work. I don't mean shouting and bursting a blood vessel on the touchline, I mean showing up to work first and leaving last. Being thorough, detail orientated, and leaving no stone unturned looking for talent on and off the pitch to improve the team. Someone that when they leave will leave something behind for the next manager to work with besides a bunch of problems and limited tools to get the job done. And I'd like to see the club at least make an attempt to make that happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Llandaff Blue View Post
    What is your point?
    I will get back to you tomorrow Llandaff

I am even confusing myself here

Apparently, Eddie Howe is waiting to waltz into a job with a top PL team with a rich history. Bellamy is obviously learning his trade. 61 is not too old for a job and if we had a dozen fewer points I'd say that McCarthy is the right man. In my opinion, Harris had lost his way and had to go, but I don't think replacing him the same week was particularly important. I have nothing against Mick McCarthy, I just want a period of relative stability and growth at the City. I'd like someone to come in and set the club up for long term success from the kids' teams up to the top. I can't see a 61 year-old having the energy or the inclination to do that. You and I both know that with age comes indifference. I'd like to see someone younger with a passion for their work. I don't mean shouting and bursting a blood vessel on the touchline, I mean showing up to work first and leaving last. Being thorough, detail orientated, and leaving no stone unturned looking for talent on and off the pitch to improve the team. Someone that when they leave will leave something behind for the next manager to work with besides a bunch of problems and limited tools to get the job done. And I'd like to see the club at least make an attempt to make that happen.
    when it comes to discipline , man management and preparation MM and TC are respected for that

Roy Keane was an arrogant spoilt git and a thug on the pitch and he did little in management despite getting into it soon after he retired

MM plays with what he's got and if we can get a wizard in the middle we have a decent squad here

I think 6 months and review is right though

Let’s look at the managers at the top of the table shall we.

Farke, Norwich - 44 years old. Been managing since he was 32.

Steve Cooper, Swansea - 42 years old, been managing development teams at Liverpool and International level when he was in his 30s.

Thomas Frank, Brentford - 47 years old. Manager since he was 35 managing youth development teams at national level.

These are young progressive managers with a track record of working with and developing young players and with a clear footballing identity.

We just jump from one knee-jerk decision to another. Bringing in merry go around dinosaurs like Slade, Warnock and Mcarthy. It might bring the odd unexpected season of success as it did with Warnock for the first 18 months of his time here but it will always be short lived because we have no long term plan, no structure as a football club, no solid foundation.

The arm around the shoulder / kick up the backside is only effective for so long with the same group of players.

At 61 years old I highly doubt Mick has the time, energy or desire to revolutionise this football club.

Regardless of how he does in the next 6 months he should be thanked for his services and we part ways. However, should he string a few results together I have no doubt he will be offered a longer contract and eventually it will end in tears and we are another couple of years down the line and still bemoaning our lack of forward thinking as a football club.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Let’s look at the managers at the top of the table shall we.

Farke, Norwich - 44 years old. Been managing since he was 32.

Steve Cooper, Swansea - 42 years old, been managing development teams at Liverpool and International level when he was in his 30s.

Thomas Frank, Brentford - 47 years old. Manager since he was 35 managing youth development teams at national level.

These are young progressive managers with a track record of working with and developing young players and with a clear footballing identity.

We just jump from one knee-jerk decision to another. Bringing in merry go around dinosaurs like Slade, Warnock and Mcarthy. It might bring the odd unexpected season of success as it did with Warnock for the first 18 months of his time here but it will always be short lived because we have no long term plan, no structure as a football club, no solid foundation.

The arm around the shoulder / kick up the backside is only effective for so long with the same group of players.

At 61 years old I highly doubt Mick has the time, energy or desire to revolutionise this football club.

Regardless of how he does in the next 6 months he should be thanked for his services and we part ways. However, should he string a few results together I have no doubt he will be offered a longer contract and eventually it will end in tears and we are another couple of years down the line and still bemoaning our lack of forward thinking as a football club.
    I completely agree with this.

If Magic Mick was a stellar name with a great track record then fair enough.

How is he going to relate to and motivate a group of 20 & 30 year olds.

All those Sludge quoted had cabinets full of European trophies.

Mick looks like a Poundland Sven.

EDIT:

Nigella Lawson is also 61 so in case she is reading this I have no problem with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Paget Flashman View Post
    I completely agree with this.

If Magic Mick was a stellar name with a great track record then fair enough.

How is he going to relate to and motivate a group of 20 & 30 year olds.

All those Sludge quoted had cabinets full of European trophies.

Mick looks like a Poundland Sven.

EDIT:

Nigella Lawson is also 61 so in case she is reading this I have no problem with it.
    Attractive lady but built like a hippopotamus

Yeah but he only went for a bit of sun.
    Lovely Cyprus.

I'm shocked at those facts.

Of course everyone looks old when you're a kid but Shankley and Paisley always looked like proper old men.

Clough retiring at 58 is also a surprise.
    The booze took its toll mind.

My boy just said that Johan Cruyff, although he’s gone on, would have been 74 this year, would he be rejected on the age issue?

David Moyes doing a good job at West Ham and pushing up towards 60, Roy Hodgson doing well at Palace and is past 73.

But don't forget that Pocchetino told Bamba, who then passed it on, that our defence had major flaws and Warnock's response was to laugh it off saying he's too old to learn a new defensive system. Is the older head stuck in their ways or ready to merge what they know with the best of modern practice?

Ferguson

Paisley

Shankley

Clough

They didn't do too badly did they ?

If you are good enough then whats this worry about age ?

People seem obsessed with appointing young managers with all the coaching badges , computer generated plans , nutrition analysts

Football is a simple game

Put the ball in the net , stop the other lot doing the same

Thats my philosophy
    Clough?

he was a manager at 30 and won the European cup in his 40s

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    I'm shocked at those facts.

Of course everyone looks old when you're a kid but Shankley and Paisley always looked like proper old men.

Clough retiring at 58 is also a surprise.
    The booze took its toll mind.
    Clough took a middling team to championship and European Cup glory , back to back

Incredible manager

Many cast offs and free signings and big money when needed

Archie Gemmil

Larry Lloyd

Kenny Burns

Tony Woodcock

Birtles

Trevor Francis .....most expensive signing at the time

Tremendous side

Real shame to see him slip into alcohol addiction

You could see it in his face in interviews

Football legend

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Clough?

he was a manager at 30 and won the European cup in his 40s
    but he wasn't a dinosaur was he ?

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    David Moyes doing a good job at West Ham and pushing up towards 60, Roy Hodgson doing well at Palace and is past 73.

But don't forget that Pocchetino told Bamba, who then passed it on, that our defence had major flaws and Warnock's response was to laugh it off saying he's too old to learn a new defensive system. Is the older head stuck in their ways or ready to merge what they know with the best of modern practice?
    David Moyes looks old beyond his years 😳

Hodgson is a very good manager

Carlo Ancelotti is the same age as MM I bet folk wouldn’t call him out on age if he was given the gig on Friday.

Clough took a middling team to championship and European Cup glory , back to back

Incredible manager

Many cast offs and free signings and big money when needed

Archie Gemmil

Larry Lloyd

Kenny Burns

Tony Woodcock

Birtles

Trevor Francis .....most expensive signing at the time

Tremendous side

Real shame to see him slip into alcohol addiction

You could see it in his face in interviews

Football legend